DIY Guide: The 'elephant hose CCV (catch-can) mod'

Basil

• 2 weeks later...
Nice write up Bas.

The 'better' way of doing it (if you dont mind Bas me inputting) is to not blank the intake off but to run the pipe through the catch tank. So you have camcover, heater hose, catch tank, heater hose, intake.

This way your not venting to atmostphere and the oil deposits being heavier than air collect in the bottom of the tank which can be emptiied periodically.

Ive just thought of another problem with doing this...

If you dont empty it, your engine is going to be sucking hard on liquid oil/water!! never good!

Not worth the risk. Ive just let mine vent to air.

Havent seen oil in the yard yet either, so thats never bad.

HTH. Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have a part number for the breather hose? I'm going to try this mod shorty and want a backup just in case :)

On mine, the breather hose has been taken off complete, and replaced with said "rubber pipe" to make the elephant trunk. :) Completely reversabe if you really want to (not that I ever will ;))

Did mine today. First impression, initail throotle response is better. I'll let you know what I think when I have drivin it more later :)

I used a copper end cap, some strong glue, and some washing machine waste pipe. More pikey than all of yours :)

22581.attach

Elephant hose mod does not cause CEL. :thumbup: You need pipe with the same i.d. as the breather pipe nipple on top of the cam cover - I would guesstimate circa 10-12mm, allowing for stretch. I used some pipe usually used for water. I think it took around 2 feet of pipe for me, maybe a bit more - enough to get down to the subframe anyway.

Did mine today. First impression, initail throotle response is better. I'll let you know what I think when I have drivin it more later :)

I used a copper end cap, some strong glue, and some washing machine waste pipe. More pikey than all of yours :)

Ironically I prefer the look of the waste pipe, looks more like secondary air injection tube, job well done.

Ultra_joel88...

Dont think 'devonutopia' is using a catch tank as he mentions the subframe.

Im not using one, just letting it vent under the car. No oil on the drive yet, and its been a while.

Silicon pipe is turd, unless its really flexable, 'cos you really want to get in tucked away and bending round stuff till you get it under the belly of your car.

That way, you have a nice clean and smart looking engine bay.

HTH. Dave

Yes - The point about the "elephant trunk" thing is it literally is like a trunk, i.e there is a hole at the end.

I would not recommend silicone pipe as thats more suited to vacuum applications. I would use something with a decent sidewall, preferably seamed. :) However, having NOW :o just read the Ebay link, it sounds like it would be suitable for the job. :cool: I would check the diameter of the breather pipe on the cam cover first though. You may need 15mm i.d.

Also, you know the valve/nipple which is to be blocked off on the MAF, does the block off need to be air tight or does it simply need to be covered to prevent dust and crap getting in there?

aitight - you don't want unfiltered underhood air getting in there.

Easiest - hack off the OEM pipe end and fill with epoxy, but if you can find a end-cap from a plumbers, you could keep the OEM breather pipe intact....

Heres my 'Proper job'...

b8205b6a.jpg

Got a roll of the pipe lying around in the barn (i live on a farm), so dont know where to get it or how much it cost!

End cap for plugging the pipe was from a round table leg. It had non-return flanges on it, so put a rubber oring inbetween them and shoved it in. Used original spring clip thingy. Blag ;) .

thats the sort of plug on the end I need

also how is the plastic clip removed on the OEM pipe?

Squeeze the larger ring and pull off - POC. And look just how much oil is being condensed in there....