DIY Guide: The 'elephant hose CCV (catch-can) mod'

Basil

Found these beauties in B&Q. Once you've unclipped the manifold part, pull the clip end back off the hose and clip it back onto the manifold. One of these little hole plugs clips right on the end of that plastic bit. Fantastic!

08072008065.jpg

Should have taken a picture of the actual finished piece, but I'm still experimenting with catch cans. Those hole ends are 48p for 10. So if a few of you live near each other you could share a bag.

I've got some of them too. Do they do the job well then?

Jasc, cant see how it will wreck the engine, will keep the intercooler pipes clean.

• Like 1

I've got some of them too. Do they do the job well then?

Jasc, cant see how it will wreck the engine, will keep the intercooler pipes clean.

Post #72 got me worried.

Also the above one /\

Sucked into engine :thumbdwn:

Does he not mean on the intake manifold side, which will be doing some serious hoovering. Hence you need something which creates a seal and zero change of ever being drawn in. The tube ends cat as they fit over the outside of the hole can can not physically be pulled in.

On the crank case side I have a fuel filter as a catch tank and air filter.

Nice mod, but I think I may be missing something?

If the manifold inlet is designed to let air in (albeit fume and oil vapour infested!) won't sealing it off cause some problem?

Wouldn't it be better to run another pipe to the inlet to allow nice clean air in?

Does he not mean on the intake manifold side, which will be doing some serious hoovering. Hence you need something which creates a seal and zero change of ever being drawn in. The tube ends cat as they fit over the outside of the hole can can not physically be pulled in.

On the crank case side I have a fuel filter as a catch tank and air filter.

Thats what i ment.

Obviously theres a few if's and but's about this one.:rofl:

Nice mod, but I think I may be missing something?

If the manifold inlet is designed to let air in (albeit fume and oil vapour infested!) won't sealing it off cause some problem?

Wouldn't it be better to run another pipe to the inlet to allow nice clean air in?

Along to the right a bit is the air filter, that's where the engine is drawing its air from. Not the little hole we're covering up.

Here are my pics. First off you can see the blanked off manifold part and where my hose joins the original piece of pipe. Under the Alu tape I have used several pieces of heatshrink tubing to ensure a good seal.

09072008068.jpg

This shows my catch can. It's very small, but it will take a long time for it to fill up.

09072008069.jpg

This shows the whole thing with engine cover back on.

09072008070.jpg

I did this today using some 19mm goodrich hosing, a couple of jubliee clips and one of those 25mm plastic caps.

I have routed it down to the bottom just to the right of the exhaust flange, just poking out over the undertray over the road surface.

I am a little concerned of it sucking up moisture so I already have a breather filter, just need to find/ make a catch can.