How to tell if your car has DPF?

Is there an easy way to tell if my 2006 OCTY PD140 has the dreaded DPF?

I have searched previous posts, and a gunk tank has been mentioned under the back end, but cant seem to get a definite answer.

Is there something in the engine code etc. that can tell you :confused:

TIA

Damo

I think the only 2.0tdi with dpfs are the scout and the vrs.

Scout, Vrs and 4x4!

It also shows up in the codes in the log book with the code "7GG" which, according to the decoder means "emissions concept EU 4 with particulate filter"

Arent DPF's supposed to stop the big toxic waste cloud from coming out of the exhaust and therefore a good thing?

Except that they break easily and clog up and can cause all kinds of problems when they fail. They can also restrict remapping ability if that is your thing.

Another point is that they are a serviceable part IIRC and they are not cheap to change :(

The DPF is like any new piece of technology.....prone to teething troubles.

Most of the problems are caused by owners who don't understand that short trips and lots of stop/start driving don't allow the filter to regenerate. If it doesn't reach it's proper operating temperature, then it's going to clog up.

I've never had any problems with mine, but that's because I make sure to do at least one journey a week that will allow the filter to regenerate.

Bagpuss.

The DPF is like any new piece of technology.....prone to teething troubles.

Most of the problems are caused by owners who don't understand that short trips and lots of stop/start driving don't allow the filter to regenerate. If it doesn't reach it's proper operating temperature, then it's going to clog up.

I've never had any problems with mine, but that's because I make sure to do at least one journey a week that will allow the filter to regenerate.

Bagpuss.

It still has a finite life and so is an added cost. It also makes the cars unsuitable for town driving and taxi use and forces a driving style that is at odds with the low revving drive it easy to save fuel mentality that was traditional with derv.

You should read the DPF leaflet in the Skoda showrooms, its enough to put you off buying a diesel completely unless you regularly drive on traffic free motorways or fast A roads.

They also stress that replacement is not covered by the warranty and its your responsibility to ensure a DPF car is for you

Here in Denmark all diesel Skoda, Audi, Seat and VW have DPF (from 2007/8)

A simple check would be to put your finger in the exhaust and if it's getting black you have no DPF :-)

I can put my fingers in and out ,ind and out ........ of the exhaust and they are still clean!!

Do you really think Audi would have one in the latest TT if they are so BAD ?

Why not they stick it on everything else and it still has problems..lol

Not tried and tested as yet but we are hoping the DPF isn't as problematic on the CR diesels.

Guest wilkopilko

Only worth it if you do reasonable mileage at decent speeds, forget it if you only buzz around town.

I've not YET had a problem but I do spend 90% on m/ways.

More info HERE.

If warnings are still ignored and soot loading continues to increase then the most likely outcome will be a new DPF costing around £1000.

:eek:

Also I recently heard that all Diesel cars manufactured after 2009 will be fitted with DPF...or was this a load of bullsh1t?

:eek:

Also I recently heard that all Diesel cars manufactured after 2009 will be fitted with DPF...or was this a load of bullsh1t?

I'll stick to poisoning the world, if it's all the same to you! :)

Guest wilkopilko
I'll stick to poisoning the world, if it's all the same to you! :)

I definately wasn't dreaming it & it seems it's not bullsh1t after all....

news: Bosch and Denso form diesel particulate filter joint venture

Oh well looks like us 'Europeans' are going to part of the big green machine in the near future (well diesel owners anyway)!

I can see it now - year 2015, you can not buy a petrol engine that exceeds the 1.4Tfsi & a Diesel that exceeds 1.6 DPF - built in SAT NAV will limit the speed of the vehicle depending what road you are on & if so much as look at half a pint of Cider on a hot summers day you will be banged up for life.......

THE NANNY STATE COMETH.....!!!

Personally, I'm not worried about a bit of soot in the environment. It might not be pretty, but it isn't an ecological or medical problem on the scale of lead or CO2.

However I was told a few years ago by someone who knew what he was talking about, that diesel particulate sizes are being driven down by legislation, until now they are small enough to pass through the lung/bloodstream barrier. That would certainly be a medical issue.

So it seems to me that too much legislation is probably a bad thing.

Personally, I'm not worried about a bit of soot in the environment. It might not be pretty, but it isn't an ecological or medical problem on the scale of lead or CO2.

However I was told a few years ago by someone who knew what he was talking about, that diesel particulate sizes are being driven down by legislation, until now they are small enough to pass through the lung/bloodstream barrier. That would certainly be a medical issue.

So it seems to me that too much legislation is probably a bad thing.

Diesel particulates are one of the main causes of Asthma and respiratory illnesses though in cities so they are actually a medical problem and whilst you may not be worried many others are... So DPF's can be a good thing, legislation or not.

Diesel particulates are one of the main causes of Asthma and respiratory illnesses though in cities so they are actually a medical problem and whilst you may not be worried many others are... So DPF's can be a good thing, legislation or not.

Petrol engines produce even finer particulates that get even further in, so it's just that you can see the derv ones more readily.

Lots of research out there, but if it was just for that you would need to put them on petrol cars too.

But from memory is it not the PM10's that are the problem? These are primarily produced by Diesel cars so petrol particulate filters are in less need in relation to human health.