Talex/Novus Database Discussion

VRStu

Please keep this thread tidy, on topic, factual and friendly. Previous threads have been closed for not adhearing to these simple guidelines.

If you post a new database version number please post details of the provider and any changes that you are aware of.

Edited by VRStu

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General contact and device information:

Talex: 0845 2741110 or 0845 2711110 database dept: [email protected] or general enquires: [email protected] Talex Technology firmware/updates and drivers Talex Technology

Novus: 0845 6590959 [email protected] or [email protected] website NovusGPS all firmware/updates and drivers on links from front page.

Instructions for the talex device and the novus delta is available from www.talex.co.uk/downloads/TalexManual.pdf

Update Days for the devices are as follows:

Talex: Friday/Saturday

Novus: Monday's

Version Number:

The version number is date dependent, e.g. 8082 means YMMW where Y is the year, MM is the month and W is the week or the number of updates so far that month.

Latest Version as of today are:

Talex Full Fat: Version 8082 now online at 3,373,520bytes which is about 3kb bigger than 8081.

Novus: Version 8081 and size 1,425,530bytes

I've looked at the new site and the new Talex. It refers to upgrading to the new Talex but doesn't tell what extra you get if you do. Can someone tell me what advantage/new facilities the new Talex has over the old one?

Been a while coming but very impressed with new Talex site!

I gave the Novus database a try as mentioned in and earlier post on same thread that had been deleted. After using Novus for over a week I found that poss mobile sites that had been removed by Talex were still on Novus and also when you hit 30mph it was telling you to reduce speed, very annoying as Talex give you up to 32mph. Thats within the percentage ACPO allow.

After seeing the new Talex website and past experience of using both databases I'm sticking to Talex!

Would even consider purchasing a new Talex once my old one gives up.

Well done Adam!

P.S Thankyou smstext for all the hard work you've done keeping us guys informed, I appreciate it even if others don't!

I've looked at the new site and the new Talex. It refers to upgrading to the new Talex but doesn't tell what extra you get if you do. Can someone tell me what advantage/new facilities the new Talex has over the old one?

I can't actually see any difference and the tech spec's don't actually list anything. It almost looks like it could be the old hardware bundled into a new enclosure with 2 extra LED's.

Looking at the video's the bright blue LED's would drive me nut's at night so one would hope there is an option to switch them off.

Also looking at the website, it's still pretty basic and looks and feels dated. If I had the best part of 8 months or so for a relaunch, I would have come up with something much more modern and striking. Of course this is completely OT and I understand if it get's "mod'ed"

On the latest Talex database there is still a fixed camera missing on the A49 that used to be in the database and the camera has been there for around 4 - 5 years to my knowledge. For once it's actually in a location that NEEDS a camera so I don't have any great objection to people getting zapped by it :)

One last thing I would say is that it may (imho) be better to split this into 2 individual threads, one for Talex and one for Novus and keep the 2 camps separated?

Yes the site wasnt to what i would expect it to be, but at least its now up and running. I have a new device on the way, so once i get it i will let you all know what i think of it (think it has a faster gps chip in it, but wont know till i get it).

We could do a thread for each device, but i think the main reason that we keep both in the same thread was that up to this point last year they were both one company and after all the who ha that went on myself and other members wanted to find out whatwas going on and that we were not going to be left with white elephants for devices.

Everyone has the personally preference, with some die hard talex users moving off to other companies all together. I personally feel within time talex will win back users, i did find one camera last week that didnt come up, but it turned out that because it was a monitron someone had programmed it in twice, once as a speed camera and once as a red light camera so the talex device had canceled them both out when running on the device, but this has since been rectified.

Just a reminder (fluffmiester) if you report the missing/new/change of limit/locations to talex and you are the first to report it, they will give you some free subscription once verified. So feel free to email them at [email protected] that way not only do you gain some free subscription (or probably free for life if you travel that amount of the uk and can find missing locations) but you also help keep the database up to date.

The new device can hold 150,000 locations, i beleive at present it holds around 15,000 locations (dont quote me as im only taking a guess from what i know it was holding a few months ago) so itcan hold three times morethan a road angel.

Also talex are giving you 60 quid off the new device if you trade in your old device which seems good considering the old device is going for 20-30 quid on ebay at the moment.

I can't actually see any difference and the tech spec's don't actually list anything. It almost looks like it could be the old hardware bundled into a new enclosure with 2 extra LED's.?

that's what I thought, and if has similar functions of the old full talex it just looks like a gps rider (which has the leds) in a different plastic box?... only £25 more expensive. I wonder if they buy the hardware from the same supplier novus buy the rider from? I wonder if the rider update will work on this hardware or if they've done something in the software to stop it? If your talex still works I don't see much point in paying £60-70 to upgrade to this one.

Having looked at the talex site the new hardware looks like the old hardware in a case that is similar to another company that makes them or unique. Certainly it appears to have the same switches, LEDs in the same place, speaker gaps in the same place etc. The extra 2 LEDs are on another one based on the generic hardware (maybe a Microfuzion or some other brand)

I'd buy one just to take the lid off and confirm if it is still a SiRFStarII, but to be fair I don't know that I'd want to give the company money.

I wonder if they buy the hardware from the same supplier novus buy the rider from? I wonder if the rider update will work on this hardware or if they've done something in the software to stop it? If your talex still works I don't see much point in paying £60-70 to upgrade to this one.

I know the devices are made/designed by a company called embedded technology who also designed etc the talex elite (no longer run by talex) also known as the novus alpha.

The new device will hold more locations, but i think the current device will hit its limit point within the next year or two with the amount of locations that are popping up. I know the new device works on a slightly different update to the current talex, but the current talex will detect the device type and up date it with the correct up date and not the old talex update that we been so use to running.

I was wondering, if you sent in two devices would they send you a new one for free (then it has a years warrenty etc) and as ebay pricesare rock bottom it could be a cheap upgrade ;):thumbup:

I know the devices are made/designed by a company called embedded technology who also designed etc the talex elite (no longer run by talex) also known as the novus alpha.

Wrong yet again SMSTEXT! Talex Elite was designed and manafactured by a company in Korea not by Imbedded Technology! The new product that has been produced by Talex Technology has been made by a completely different Korean company.

The Novus products are being produced be the same manufactuer as the original Talex product.

Edited by DGW
Quote fixed.

Peter, please keep this discussion friendly and on topic. I am fully aware that you and the other people posting in this thread have 'history' and it won't take much for me to close it and start issuing bans.

It seems to me that you have little or no interest in supporting the Briskoda community and you only appear here to intervene in this discussion.

Wrong yet again SMSTEXT! Talex Elite was designed and manafactured by a company in Korea not by Imbedded Technology! The new product that has been produced by Talex Technology has been made by a completely different Korean company.

The Novus products are being produced be the same manufactuer as the original Talex product.

Welcome to Briskoda, and even though I am not a mod, can you please take a look at the opening statement in this thread about keeping things civil and on topic :)

Without being rude, the whole device is made by a contract manufacturer out in east and since their webpage showed the Talex, Microfuzion and other such devices on the market all around the same internals, I'd be quite confident they are all based around the same part, with just a different chassis. Even more so when they talk the same language to the outside world, use the same chips (last I looked) and work with firmware from the other vendor.

Can I ask which of the two companies you are associated with please Peter.

Thanks

I am more interested in Novus as they have (apart from the early days) been consistant in doing what they say they are going to do. There database seems really good which at the end of the day is what it's all about. I have bought 2 Riders 1 for myself and 1 for my son. I had a Talex before but it died and Talex Technology didn't want to know even though it was only a 18 months old! So I gave up trying with them. I have phoned Novus a couple of times needing help with downloads they have always been very helpful.

My Full Fat Talex is working fine and the updates seem to be coming through OK.

I reported a missing camera a few weeks back and it appeared on the database after a short time.

Therefore I think Talex are OK but if I'm not getting anything from an upgrade then I'll stick to my original Talex .... unless somebody can tell me otherwise.

I am suprised that Talex haven't pushed their new model with some stated new benefits - otherwise what's the incentive to upgrade, other than a redesigned case and LEDs?

My Full Fat Talex is working fine and the updates seem to be coming through OK.

I reported a missing camera a few weeks back and it appeared on the database after a short time.

Therefore I think Talex are OK but if I'm not getting anything from an upgrade then I'll stick to my original Talex .... unless somebody can tell me otherwise.

I am suprised that Talex haven't pushed their new model with some stated new benefits - otherwise what's the incentive to upgrade, other than a redesigned case and LEDs?

I have no evidence to confirm this and am not saying they have done this, but in theory if they wanted they could put a small piece of code checking in or changed addresses to prevent the new device from running the free Novus update code.

I would like to clarify my comments above with evidence, *BRAND NEW* Talex down on Technical Specification near the bottom says "I’ve talked to Embedded Technology (the owners of Talex) and they told me about how much money and time went in to developing it". It also states on the Talex Elite box that it was made by embedded Technology. I dont want to get into a tit for tat, like many i want this thread to run for the benefit of many users, however an apology would be in order from one individual who felt they needed to have an outburst at my expense for something I have posted that is factual.

I understand that embedded no doubt got them from Korea, most of the worlds electrical devices are made in Korea or Tawian. However I have found the information on a publically available page (link above) and have posted what is in the public eye for those who havent already read all of the new site.

PHILS, on the new talex site they are doing trade in's, just click the upgrade link on the left, you can even keep your current subscription and transfer it onto the new device.

Has anyone yet found out if the device comes with a years subs or 6 months or is it something that's been hidden away to pay for separately afterwards?

Cheezemonkhai, from what i can gather the new device is programmed slightly different inside, it wont accept the current talex updates on it, however a new program has been written to update it, but it will work with (as far as I am aware) the current talex update program which will know the difference between "full fat", "lite" and "new" talex's. maybe someone will try and see if the new talex works with a novus update, but if that is all they got it for then they better off going to novus and buying a rider straight off instead and save some money.

The new device will hold more locations, but i think the current device will hit its limit point within the next year or two with the amount of locations that are popping up.

how many locations are in the present device now and how many empty locations are left in available memory?

IIRC the chip for the current device can hold a huge number of locations so unless they are planning to change something I can't see it running out of locations that quickly.

Paul, I'd be quite careful about believing what you're told as the "new talex" has the same connections and switches, but the one on the right appears to use the forward location for a phono jack, which was left empty on the old Talex circuit board with the rear position used instead.

If you look the box looks the same size/shape, the magnetic mounting pad, USB cable and charger look as if they are the same as the old one, even the fact it has 4 cable ties and mount pads, a registration form that looks the same and a manual that looks like it's from the same place.

I really would want to see some proof from Talex that this isn't just a slight variant of the same.

I'm also very interested in the fact you can now plug in an external device (IIRC, what that empty port on the circuit board was for) and he is selling a mobile laser detector. The site then claims "All Talex products are 100% Legal to use under UK Law." . I'm thought I'd heard that laser detectors were not, but I'm not sure on that.

Either way, I believe that the new talex device may be little more than a new case and a couple of parts changing from fit to no-fit and others from no-fit to fit to allow the connection of an external device. I'd be very confident that it's not a totally new device and the site even states "The New Talex is a BRAND NEW GPS Speed Camera Detection system that is an evolution of the old Talex and Talex Lite models.".

I wonder if I buy one, take it apart and find it is the same can I follow it up under the sales of goods act :rofl:

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Mark ive just basically gone through their site and extracted the information, i have got one of the devices on its way so when and if it arrives i will road test it and let you know what the tech specs are in the manual. i personally think its just got a bigger memory, a newer gps chip and a few flashing lights, but once i do have one in my hand i will let you know.

As for laser detectors, they are not illegal yet, they still trying to push this one through, thus why road angel still sell the laser add ons.

HTH's :thumbup: