Talex/Novus Database Discussion

VRStu

Done an update on my full fat today, update number now 8085 :thumbup:

Has anyone else noticed a delay in locking onto satellites after downloading the latest updates? 8084 took about 5 minutes and 8085 took so long I thought the unit had died, then after 15 minutes and 3 disconnect - reconnects it chimed and stared working normally. All subsequent restarts take about 20 seconds. ( location of start up after update: just off M60 Northenden, Manchester. Clear view of sky)

Edited by esbro

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not actually noticed it on the talex at that length of time, has been a bit slower, but i did notice on sunday my tomtom struggled to get a lock on the sat's. maybe its something to do with the gps satellites at the moment or solar problems?

full fat talex 8092 is 3382448 bytes

novus 8081 file size 1424530 bytes last one

new novus 8084 file size 1424870 bytes

since last talex update the file size has increased 1440 bytes guessing from previous remarks on this thread that a camera takes up about 20 bytes of data it looks like 72 more locations have been added.

Novus (their latest update will be monday) have managed 340 bytes in 3 weeks making it 17 locations.

Ok we have to also add into the equation that sites have been added or removed and also ammended. According to Mr Blairs email this week (that i decided to subscribe to) the locations are over 16900 and closer to 17k locations on the talex database. Novus have said they have removed 40 mobile locations but only added 25 fixed and mobile locations, but ammended 6 locations which is a bit worrying why they are removing so many locations:confused:

I have a "new" Talex on order and should be delivered this week. I have traded my 'old' talex lite in taking up Adam Blairs offer. When it arrives I will 'test drive' the unit and post my results for anyone who is curious / interested. I drive for a living and my old talex was 2 years old and looking scruffy and the lead was slightly damaged (constantly in and out of car). Looking at how much they were being sold on ebay for, mine wasn't really worth anything.

I updated on Friday morning because going away for the weekend and it was still 8085. This morning it was 8092. After all this time the website is still completely useless because doesn't tell you the current download status so you waste your time downloading the same data as you already have.

I updated on Friday morning because going away for the weekend and it was still 8085. This morning it was 8092. After all this time the website is still completely useless because doesn't tell you the current download status so you waste your time downloading the same data as you already have.

i take this as it was novus? both my old and new talex on talex updates came up as 8092. but my novus device i updated on saturday came up at 8085.

I believe it is meaningless to extrapolate numbers of data points from changes in the novus exe size since self extracting exes use high level compression algorithms so the uncompressed data could be much bigger then the exe. The talex data is uncompressed in comparison because uses a download software to transfer the bare data to the device flash. Besides novus list the weekly changes on their site with the update version, something Talex could do to users advantage.

no it was talex, they have no indication of the data version you are downloading.

strange, i updated all my units saturday morning thus post above containing this:

full fat talex 8092 is 3382448 bytes

novus 8081 file size 1424530 bytes last one

new novus 8084 file size 1424870 bytes

The reason file sizes are posted is so we can see what change their is. if you have two or three weeks updates that dont change in size then you will know something isnt right. its easy enough to change the database update number and this has been pointed out before.

I have spoken to talex about having an update page that indicates when a new update is available (like the use to have) and they are also looking at adding a page about rewards for submitting missing camera locations/info/speed changes etc.

not really strange since I updated Friday morning. Sure, a size difference may indicate a different database, my point was your extrapolations of number of changes from differences in novus exe sizes have no basis in reality due to the compression. Even applying to the talex data is problematical due to 12 bytes may be used for a direction indicator for each new point, so it is a very simplistic and probably inaccurate guess.

Just returned from a long weekend up at Fort William in Scotland,

I was using the Talex database 8085 and it picked up all fixed camera's on route and also the specs cameras along one stretch of the journey with the correct speed limit warning. On the A74 and M74 I was warned of poss mobile camera sites and on two occasions they were sat there on the bridge ahead of me giving me ample warning to watch my speed. All in all no complaints!

I'll put a beer on the fact that it's still a SiRFStarIILE on the same board in a different case with a few connectors fitted or not fitted. IIRC there was space on the talex lite PCB for two extra LED's if you wanted. There is some memory inside the SiRFStar GPS/Processor chip anyway IIRC.

You owe me a beer, SiRFStar III chip on the circuitboard of the new one, pic on the new talex thread :thumbup: