Gearbox Gone Bang!

At the start of our hols too! :(

Had just filled up with fuel and on leaving the petrol station just north of Rouen in France, I felt that 'something' wasn't right. At first I thought something was loose and rattling or we had picked up a piece of debris that had somehow lodged itself on the car so pulled over but nothing was amiss apart from a couple of loose screws on the undertray which were duly tightned.

Continued our journey but the noise was now getting worse but established it wasn't an engine problem as it was only audible in 4th and 6th gears. Decided the best thing to do was to get to a VAG garage and thanks to the MFD2 it took us straight to the Skoda/VW dealership in the centre of Rouen. It became quickly apparant that we were not going to continue our journey in the car so it was then down to Skoda Assist in France to sort us out with a replacement vehicle so I'm now driving a delightful diesel Peugeot 308 (left hand drive!), poverty spec! :thumbdwn: Getting this vehicle was a fiasco as we ended up stranded on a petrol station forecourt for three hours but that is a seperate story in itself!

Looks like the problem with the gearbox is not an isolated one as I've heard of others that have had issues but I have been assured that on our return from holiday next Friday the car will be ready to collect, here's hoping anyway! :o

Just hope skoda.france are more leniant towards warrenty repairs on certain cars ;)

They were rather inquisitive when I pulled into the forecourt, what with the stripes and stickers, but I would love to see their faces when they pop the bonnet! :rofl:

well its not going to be a warranty job is it? -not with that level of mods.

might be better to have it recovered home and source your own box than pay main dealer rates abroad...?

Main dealer rates abroad are around half that of the UK ones, and many people who live near to the Channel ports - Dover etc, find it cheaper to book their cars in at French dealers for services etc and do a spot of cut-price booze and tobacco shopping in their courtesy car:).

Could well be a back bearing issue. The new six spped gearboxes are crap compared to the old ones. A roller bearing has replaced the old taper bearing at the end of the first motion shaft. The bearing breaks down, gets noisy and ends up spitting out of the end of the gearbox. Done at least half a dozen in the last few months. VW repair just about all boxes, pretty sure Skoda are the same. Casings etc can all be replaced.

Could well be a back bearing issue. The new six spped gearboxes are crap compared to the old ones. A roller bearing has replaced the old taper bearing at the end of the first motion shaft. The bearing breaks down, gets noisy and ends up spitting out of the end of the gearbox. Done at least half a dozen in the last few months. VW repair just about all boxes, pretty sure Skoda are the same. Casings etc can all be replaced.

To be honest i don't think any of the VW 6 speed boxes old or young were any good. The older TDI 6 speeds used to suffer from a pin shearing on the selector forks. I'm sure the only main differences between the petrol ones and diesel ones are the ratios?

it will be interesting when they discover all the mods and the remap to what skoda actually say about it against the warrenty. still you could always get some viper stripes and decorate the hire car for them ;)

I had a nice shiny new one fitted when mine went the other month :D

But kicking off about the issues i've had with mine does help me out...

Bad news that it happens on holiday mind, Hope its sorted soon

Thanks for all the replies, I've not heard a thing from the garage so I'm hoping that no news is good news :o so I'm just going to enjoy my holiday and worry about it as and when!

As for the issue with getting it sorted under waranty, I suppose I've just got to keep my fingers crossed that they don't spot anything 'foreign' under the bonnet ;) :P

As for the issue with getting it sorted under waranty, I suppose I've just got to keep my fingers crossed that they don't spot anything 'foreign' under the bonnet ;) :P

Just tell them they are all like that in the uk :D

You could then point them in the direction of a web site with similar cars ;)

Thanks for all the replies, I've not heard a thing from the garage so I'm hoping that no news is good news :o so I'm just going to enjoy my holiday and worry about it as and when!

I think it's called "warranty" Steve :P