vRS - Realistic mpg ?

BRUN

I spent a week in Suffolk during April, And was amazed in the radical difference in consumption.

And there was no change in my driving style, I can attribute this to the fact that the South East is as flat as a billiard table!

So if you live anywhere remotely hilly your fuel consumption is going to take a hit, Unless you can achieve the impossible, And only ever drive downhill

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tbh, id need the ~50mpg quoted for me to make a saving vs a petrol vehicle

my current car does 30-32mpg on average, i do a fair bit of motorway driving to the g/f's, which is about 7-10 miles of motorway each way, and i do that about 5 times a week

tbh, id need the ~50mpg quoted for me to make a saving vs a petrol vehicle

my current car does 30-32mpg on average, i do a fair bit of motorway driving to the g/f's, which is about 7-10 miles of motorway each way, and i do that about 5 times a week

Getting 50mpg will depend on traffic, weather and what speed you tend to cruise at on the motorway. Without taking those variables into account it's hard to say if you'd get the mpg figure your after.

whats a realistic mpg that the vRS will do on a regular basis

i dont tend to believe book figures you see....

On my mixed urban and motorway commute, worst ever is 39mpg (thrashed), average 45-47, best 50ish. Best long run mpg 58mpg from Scarborough.

What a load of crap.

Don't mince your words mate!

I can 100% guarantee that with normal day to day driving in Herefordshire & Worcestershire countryside (I spend very little time in traffic) I manage to get the quoted MPG. My parents, who drive in an "economical" fashion, get around 56 or 57mpg from the later BLT engine.

I think the fuel economy of any car depends very largely on the environment in which the car is driven. Perhaps those of us who are managing 50mpg + are driving in environments/conditions that suit the diesel engined car better?

Exactly what I was saying. Pootling around the countryside with no traffic and/or traffic lights is NOT normal day to day driving for most of us. I presume I'm right in thinking that the majority of us live in towns rather than the countryside, right?

50+ mpg is perfectly reasonable given your journey types.

It's those who say 'I drive flat out around town all day long, stopping and starting, up and down hills' and still get 50+ mpg that I take issue with.

I think the fuel economy of any car depends very largely on the environment in which the car is driven.

Very much so.

On a good, quiet day, my commute can see 50mpg is I use a bit of restraint.

Moderate traffic will drop 3 mpg off, poor traffic 4-5, a horrendous journey with bad traffic and a good thrshing will drop 10mpg.

Out where you live is probably more favourable. I saw 50 mpg most of the time on holiday in Scotland on quiet roads, even using the performance.

Sitting at the speed limit on the motorways doing a drive from the midlands to London i have seen 60mpg, and on my normal commute home at weekends i can see 58mpg driving over 48 miles of mostly B roads with a couple A roads thrown in.

If i want to shave 15 mins off that hour long journey i can expect the same rout to return 40mpg.

Thats what i love about this engine, it has excellent economy, fantastic pace and is very tunable. What more could you ask for?

**EDIT**

I should add that those journeys were done with an economy remap on the car, i can't confirm any figures as standard as the car was remapped the day after i bought it.

I like my job, thanks very much. I don't see the relevance of your comment.

I think it's perfectly clear the relevance of the comment. Slipstreaming lorries on the motorway in order to extract a few more mpg is, frankly, sad. The relevance is that if you got a better paid job you would not have to put yourself and others in danger with your penny-pinching antics.

seems 45mpg is certainly a day to day figure that i could expect, which would be fine, that would be a 50% improvement on what i get now, and diesel is only a couple of pence more than the super unleaded i use all the time now

45mpg is easily acheivable.

I genuinely think that the PD engine prefers certian fuels over others. My Fabia and my last car (Leon FR TDI) both seem smoother, more responsive and get aprox 30-50 miles more per tankfull on Shell extra diesel and Millers diesel sport 4 additives.

Not everyone finds this, but from personal experience they both contribute to better mpg.

Is this figure calculated brim to brim?

I get mid forties mpg day in day out.

A 400 mile round trip with the cruise control set on 65mph returned 53mpg.

65mpg on most journeys is amazing.

I should have said that my car's used mainly at weekends (not for commuting)and it's usually for long journeys; motorways, A roads. When I drive in town the figure is more like 45-50mpg. A good blast usually gives mid 50s.

That's just going by the trip computer, though.

How does everyone get so good a MPG!!

I just went a run upto Glasgow, 73mph on the road angel c/c on and i only got 43mpg...

Take it you need to sit at like 56mph to get into the 60's?

over the past 2,000+ miles i got 39.2 mpg

I sit at the legal limit most of the time, so 70mph should see higher mPG than that.

I would look at what fuel you use, MAF issues or tyre pressures if your getting that low a figure.

In my tank at the mo, I'm using v power diesel, first time I have tried it on a full tank and have noticed car pulls more and miles per gallon is on the up, thats mostly today still need to do a bit of town driving but have found the car today is being more economical as most of my journey today was 60 zones, 70 zones and stop start driving with slower traffic also factor in me and SWMBO shared driving as well with two diffrent driving styles ( I was driving like sister wendy most of the time behind the wheel) as said depends on tyre pressures, loads in boot, passengers etc.

Davy

Well i suspect due to my driving and conditions i tend to get a pretty low mpg. i do 15 min run to work each day, and **** about round town in evenings, and manage 38-40mpg, but thats with plenty of WOT pull offs from lights etc. :-) On a run i got 55ish mpg, but that was again with a few WOTs on the motorway, no C/C either

matt

Mine varies between 42 - 48 most of the time. If i'm driving to work and get stuck behind trucks all week at 40-50 mpg i can get upto 60 (brim to brim method) but that is unusual. Once going between shrewsbury and church stretton on the A49, I managed to hit 70 (on the computer) though I was trying hard at the old mpg challenge.

on mine it varys but usually low 50's when town driving and nipping about, on the way to work late 50's to mid 60's depending on how late i am,

on my last tank i worked out that i got an average of 56.8mpg by working it out brim to brim and the number 2 trip had it as 57.something so not that far out,