Even bigger turbo soon................

Steevie Wonder

Right, here we go..........

Scat rods and JE low compression pistons have been ordered and I'll be getting the bottom end rebuilt hopefully later this month.

My methanol injection is still sat in my workshop, I aim to get it slung in whilst all this is being done.

With my vf34 I should be getting around 355bhp-365bhp once the bottom end of the engine is sorted......but.........I'm going to get Jabba's bigger version slung on - hopefully before xmas....I might as well treat myself a little:D

It uses the exhaust side (hot side) of the IHI and uses a far larger compressor wheel (cold side), the results should be no extra lag and a solid 385/390bhp all the way till 7500rpm with NO boost drop off:) I will be porting the OEM inlet manifold for now, as IP pi$$ed around too much on the ABD item.....

Jabba also do a turbo for 440bhp +, but I’m trying to be real about this......:rofl:

Pics will follow very soon!

Steve:thumbup:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bigger valves?

I'm having the head ported and flowed along with some new inconel/nitrade valves.

It should be good, but more importantly very drivable. I really enjoy the car as it is now, but I’m not after ultimate bhp figures, just something that has a (bl00dy high!!) torque curve like table-top mountain!

Time will tell.

Steve:)

Edited by Steevie Wonder

I'm having the head ported and flowed along with some new inconel/nitrade valves.

It should be good, but more importantly very drivable. I really enjoy the car as it is now, but I’m not after ultimate bhp figures, just something that has a (bl00dy high!!) torque curve like table-top mountain!

Time will tell.

Respect :thumbup:

Time will tell.

:eek: Your wallet must be bottomless, your one crazy guy Steevie :cool:

how can fitting a larger compressor housing and lower compression pistons not induce more lag?

Hopefully lag will not be much of an issue... The boost can be increased quite a lot over what it is now too.

My new compression will be 9:1 instead of the standard 9.5:1.

9:1 is the same as the S3/TT/LCR 'bam' engine and I’ve never heard of those engines being particularly laggy with an IHI/GT30 set up.

I'll live and learn:)

Steve:thumbup:

Edited by Steevie Wonder

the compression won't really affect the lag but a lower CR means lower output per litre and increasing just the size of the compressor housing will definitly increase lag as your not changing any other aspects of the turbo so it'll definitly increase lag but hopefully not much at all but it will also increase power as you'll be flowing more air :thumbup:

tbh it'll probably suit a FWD car down to the ground as too much midrange is simply a waste of time as you'll run out of traction quite quickly :D

if it were me i'd rather keep the compression ratio as high as possible and make sure the other aspects of the engine can cope as you'll get more power out of it, its one of the reasons the Tfsi does so well, it has a relatively high CR.

TBH I think a nice driveable 350bhp is about enough for a 1.8T FWD. If you get it mapped nice and smooth I suppose up to 400bhp would be ok. Don't go chasing figures for Christs sake!! :P

and another wheels drive :D

I could never justify selling my car and getting a 4x4 model, I have spent too much on mine, I'll have to live with it. I nearly got the hatch 4x4 when I ordered my vRS; I only changed my mind once I got to the dealers to sign on the dotted line..... hindsight says that was a bl00dy big mistake, still you live and learn.

V8 RS4 for me next.

Why is it always the old gits that are the real nutters. :rofl:

I can get 500bhp out of my set up and if you put the right map on you will actually get traction. No it will not do a 4k standing start but then again would you want to. However it will fire you through a bend at full throttle with the right suspension set up ( not the one I used at Tracks like someone told me to use :(). Another set of driven wheels will just not do that, trust me, i've tried (unless you want to go side ways).

Steve

So in short go for the higher bhp and set the car up to cope, oh and start learning to drive again. :D

Why not? ;):)

because that claim is for upto 475bhp on the subaru engines upto and including the 2.5 boxer engine which has 40% more capacity as an engine. that and owen are honest and realistic about their figures, they have no one to impress.

Steve

So in short go for the higher bhp and set the car up to cope, oh and start learning to drive again. :D

When the bottom end is replaced all the head is going to be ported with larger valves etc. going in, so it should be strong enough (I hope) to cope with anything I decide to throw at it!

Edited by Steevie Wonder

because that claim is for upto 475bhp on the subaru engines upto and including the 2.5 boxer engine which has 40% more capacity as an engine. that and owen are honest and realistic about their figures, they have no one to impress.

It made 469bhp on a MK1 we did recently though :thumbup: that was a 1.9 and it was mapped to a safe, drivable limit as the car only ever gets used for track days and is front wheel drive :rolleyes: