Replacement panel filter

Nice

I must admit the main thing I noticed on mine was the fuel economy

Sarah

Don't suppose he's thought to check that yet.

Will probably be heavier 'cos he like the noise full throttle makes. :D:rofl:

Yep, just open the (IIRC 8) screws of the airfilterbox and remove (carefully) the upper lid. (You can leave everything else connected, just carefully take it off and hold it).

Now you can see and remove the panelfilter and change it.

I drive a green filter too (actually own two of them to exchange a dirty one with a cleaned one). Didnt notice much in fuel economy (must be minor :rofl:) and it sounds a bit more throaty.

So with no discernible difference in power, noise or fuel economy...why would I fit one?

It's really an individuals choice.....the crappy paper thing that come as std needs replacing every so often, the pipercross is not only guaranteed for life, but can be cleaned when required, further more they are better for the engine, as bahnstormer vrs mentions under normal driving conditions it is more relaxed due to the increased air flow, hence the improvemnet in economy. I can't speak for the diesel, but my wife is no expert, and she has just told me the car feels more responsive through the gears, but is also commplaining that it sounds noisier.....no pleasing some people!!!

My advice, speak to awesomesarah, for 35 quid, go 4 it, its not going to do any harm.:thumbup:

Hi

I must admit , I love mine

I did notice a tad more noise , not that you can hear it over Take That with Lulu singing Relight My Fire :lol:

But if the music is turned down , it is just a tad

I saw better fuel economy and a bit better throttle response too :D

What I did was just give it a quick clean or just a get rid of dust session on every service , then at 60k binned it and got another

We here replace the air filter every 20k as we think that 40k between service is too long

So it saved me changing 3 times and better fuel economy , it had paid for itself ;)

Sarah

Possibly a silly question - but does the insurance company need to be aware when you change your air filter?

In theory, yes.

In reality, it's up to you, but there is always a small chance that if the worst happens to your car and they send an assessor out, that they'll pick up on it and refuse to pay out.

So, in summary, it's the same as any other modification.

I've tried these filters (induction kits actually) in my previous two cars (Fiesta Zetec S - Pipercross, MX-5 - K&N Typhoon) and I can say that in both cases the difference in power and MPG was negligible.

If you think they sound good then fine, but personally, I wouldn't bother again.

As for all the talk of "they last a lifetime", this is true, but don't forget it's a lot more work to clean these filters than replace a paper one. Also, if you take your car to a dealer that charges by the job (e.g. a xxxxx mile service might have a fixed cost, decided by their computer), you'll be paying for the labour to replace the filter, even if it isn't actually done. You won't pay for the part, but you will probably pay for the labour!

Another arguement is the "flow is less restrictive as they get dirtier". Hmm, in the UK, paper filters really don't get that dirty, we don't have a dusty environment, compared to some parts of the US, for example.

In both my previous cars, I spent hours and hours reading up on these filters and the pros/cons. I can honestly say that from what I've read and from what I've experienced, unless you are desperate to get every last BHP out of an engine used for racing, you'd be better off spending the money on fuel or beer :D

But I know this will largely fall on deaf ears. Like me years ago, you'll try it anyway and convince yourself it's made a small difference... and then when it dawns on you it probably hasn't, you'll start thinking "oh well, at least it sounds better" ;)

Possibly a silly question - but does the insurance company need to be aware when you change your air filter?

Of course. ANY mod to a car that could affect the power output, you need to tell your insurance company.

You also need to tell them of anything that could affect it's theft risk, e.g. shiny non-OEM alloys etc.

You'll probably be alright if you don't tell them, but you're running a huge risk if you knock someone over and your insurance is invalid!

So how do you actually clean these filters? Use a vacuum on them or bung them in the sink and give them a good scrubbing?

There is a special cleaner and filter oil. All you have to do is soak the filter with cleaner, leave it for about 10 minutes and flush it with warm (not hot) water.

Let it dry and slightly oil the filter.

This will take a little, therefor I am glad to have two filters. So I can let it dry overnight (or longer) before I oil it.

You shouldnt use compressed air, as you can harm the cotton layer of the filter.

I just used to give it a bang or just shake off the excess dust and dead leaves

All I can say is , it works for me

Sarah

:eek: You're aware that these filters NEED reoiling now and again, aren't you?!

You can't just bang and shake them indefinately and expect them to do their job... once the oil becomes dirty, they will become unable to trap dust, then you'll have a filter that is just letting all the dust straight through, NOT GOOD for an engine!