Cracked Panoramic roof!

g6zru

Just had my Scout in for it's first service today. When I went to collect it the guy from service took me out to the car and asked me if I knew that my roof was cracked! The crack goes almost the whole way across at the rear, no sign of any chips or impact marks. There are only two of us who use the car so no one had ever been in the back and we hadn't noticed it. The dealer is going to report it to Skoda and hopefully they will authorise a replacement. Has anyone else come across this?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange that the garage were the first to notice it, don't suppose they dropped something on it?

That would be my first thought as well.Surely you would have noticed a big crack like that when you were washing it and you would certainly have heard it if it cracked as you were driving,and if something had dropped on it,it would have to have been quite heavy and would probably have stayed on the roof or landed by the side of the car.

That would be my first thought as well.Surely you would have noticed a big crack like that when you were washing it and you would certainly have heard it if it cracked as you were driving,and if something had dropped on it,it would have to have been quite heavy and would probably have stayed on the roof or landed by the side of the car.

Hmm.. seems a bit iffy that the garage spotted it but you did not, hard to prove how it was done but the garage still has a duty of care whilst the car is in their possession.

I would hope for warranty cover but state (preferably in writing) that you believe damage occured while in care of the garage.

Good luck

Could well be caused by a small stone chip and water getting in and freezing, especially with the current weather, the water freeze and expand and cause a crack across the glass. This could also happen if the roof was not fitted properly in the first place and it could be a stress fracture.

I have to admit to not washing it myself or I probably would have noticed it. I would also hope that the garage would have been honest enough to tell me if they had done it. A friend of mine works in their service dept so if there was any chance of that happening he would have told me, I think!

With the weather we have had recently it's possible that could be the cause, however these cars are also sold in countries that have far worse winter temperatures than us.

I've looked at it very carefully and cannot see any indication of external force or impact, no chips either.

Keeping everything crossed until we hear from Skoda UK.

BTW keep an eye on your headlights, one of mine has condensation on the inside and is now on order from Skoda.

The Czech Republic has far more extreme weather than us!

I can't see it was the body flexing, though if it was then its very serious as that would indicate that your car's body was not assembled correctly - as no-one else has suffered from it it sounds to me like it was not fixed on correctly... warranty job...

And the moral of the story?

WASH YOUR CAR MORE OFTEN!! :)

This obviously should be covered by the factory warranty as there are no signs of impact.

I heard from our Latvian Citroen dealer of numerous cases when glass roofs crack on C4's (they are quite popular here and many have the glass roof), but these occured when the cars were driven on rough roads where the bodywork is twisted or when the driver tried drive over a kerb.

That will be a stress facture, normally it happens while parked up, Vectra C screens do it a lot but VX won't own up, it's as the body settles on uneven ground that seems to cause it with body flexing, hope you get it sorted but I've a feeling they may wiggle on it and you will have to do it through insurance, so if that becomes the case and you don't have screen insurance you know what to do and ask the mods to remove the thread before you claim.

Quick query guys! Looking at all the pictures on the website and in the brochure, I cannot see any operating mechanism, so assume that this is not the sort of sunroof we had before aircon which opened to let air in. This one must be a fixed pane of glass?

This one must be a fixed pane of glass?

That is correct :thumbup:

It does come with sun blinds as well, but we hardly ever use them, not even in the South of France.

Quick query guys! Looking at all the pictures on the website and in the brochure, I cannot see any operating mechanism, so assume that this is not the sort of sunroof we had before aircon which opened to let air in. This one must be a fixed pane of glass?

Correct