Should I buy a limited Edition Octy Vrs?

My 1st Post in the Octavia Forums:)

Been sonsidering an Octy for a few months now in a 2.0 Diesel engine.

Wanted a Blue one initially but now have my heart set on a limited edition.

Problem is my 16 and a half yr old brother wants my Fabia for his 1st car. I can't see the logic in it sitting on the drive for 6months until he can drive it. I also need to free the cash from it to be able to afford the Octy.

So should i sell my fabia now and give him the option of buying it knowing that it will sit gathering dirt and depreciating :thumbdwn:

Stick my car up for sale and get rid of it to whoever wnats it,

Or wait 6months and hope a limited edition Octy will still be available (new or nearly new)

Oh and should i get a DSG box or manual?

All points of view will be considered.

Thanks

Scott

Touche.......but is the Fabia vRS 170bhp?, thought it was only 130!

Check the OP's sig ;)

There is actually more than the remap to declare but that alone will be more than sufficient to rule things out. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if a standard Fabia vRS were out of the question.

Check the OP's sig ;)

There is actually more than the remap to declare but that alone will be more than sufficient to rule things out. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if a standard Fabia vRS were out of the question.

he's of the opinion he can insure anything, it's just what he's willing to pay to do it.

he's of the opinion he can insure anything, it's just what he's willing to pay to do it.

and of course he's been insuring motors for years so he has a wealth of experience to draw on :rolleyes:

The Fabia vRS is within the reach of the ch@vs to replace their trusy Nova/Corsa now so sadly you are up against it in terms of insurance.

im his brother by the way and i have been quoted 650 to insure it on my dads policy with me as a named driver (but thats saying the car is standard)

so just keep telling him to wait 6 months and take the mods off before he sells it to me ;)

And then you won't be insured and your dad won't be insured, and when you wrap it, which you will at 17 with 170 bhp then neither you nor your father will ever be able to insure anything again because the insurance company will register you as a fraudulent claiment.

To the OP, sell your car now and save your family one heap of trouble.

ppat .. he did actually say he wants his brother to remove the mods so he can insure it as standard

im his brother by the way and i have been quoted 650 to insure it on my dads policy with me as a named driver (but thats saying the car is standard)

so just keep telling him to wait 6 months and take the mods off before he sells it to me ;)

This is the issue, and believe me its a big one.

Insurance companies have cottoned on to young drivers being added to a parents insurance policy. especially with performance cars.

The Fabia vRS is becoming increasingly difficult for drivers under 21 to insure because they have a high accident rate. As a new driver with no NCB you would be very lucky to find anybody to want to take the risk.

I guess you will be the main user of the Fabia and using it regularly and insuring in your fathers name is just so you can get cheaper insurance.

Technically as the main user of the car, the insurance must be in your name otherwise you are commiting insurance fraud. If you have a prang, which you will at some point with such a powerfull car then the insurers will not pay out, leaving you and your father to pick up the tab personally to repair your car and if another car is involved theirs as well. Being a second (named) driver on another policy is intended for occasional use only.

In addition if insured in your fathers name you could be charged by the police for driving with no insurance, which carries at least 6 points and you will therefore also lose your driving license and revert back to learner status. Once you have passed your test for a second time it will be virtually impossible for either your dad or you to get insurance on anything other than a 1.0 Corsa for example.

A better idea would be to buy a cheaper car now (1.0 corsa for example) and drive that for a year or so, insured in your name as TPF&T. Then you can build up some NCB and buy the car that you want at that point.

The car he really wants doesn't come with DSG....as an earlier poster said. The current vRS does though and doesn't have those awful wheels and naff interior.

Technically as the main user of the car, the insurance must be in your name otherwise you are commiting insurance fraud. If you have a prang, which you will at some point with such a powerfull car then the insurers will not pay out, leaving you and your father to pick up the tab personally to repair your car and if another car is involved theirs as well. Being a second (named) driver on another policy is intended for occasional use only.

How would the insurance company ever know, or be able to find out, who the main driver is? I know it is in the terms and conditions of insurance, but they will have to pay out regardless.

In addition if insured in your fathers name you could be charged by the police for driving with no insurance, which carries at least 6 points and you will therefore also lose your driving license and revert back to learner status. Once you have passed your test for a second time it will be virtually impossible for either your dad or you to get insurance on anything other than a 1.0 Corsa for example.

Eh? How can you be charged for driving with no insurance if you are insured as a named driver?

But back on to the original question. I doubt a young, male, new driver is likely to get insurance on the Fabia VRS, named driver or otherwise, unless you are willing to spend thousands with some dodgy company.