Re-map insurance increase

yeah but bigger brakes mean better stopping so less likely to crash...

but then they also mean higher replacement costs/payout value if you DO write it off.

It's going to vary a tremendous amount between insurers too.

I thought most places charge you more for bigger brakes. In their eyes surely

Bigger Brakes = Needing to stop quicker

Why are you needing to stop quicker? Because you will most likely be going faster.

Therefore more of a risk.

Or maybe not..

if your with the more mainstreem insurance suppliers then most won't insure you. Admiral was one I had problems with (ill never go back to them, but thats a diffrent story) your best waiting till you renew your policy and go to a modified insurance supplyer.

How will bigger brakes bring the cost down, haha. The insurance company see it as a performance mod hence premium goes up

I know it seems nuts but when I was getting quotes most of the modified insurers asked the question? I ended up going with Sky Insurance and my premium definately came down a bit as I was upgrading the brakes in line with the power increase, guess it depends how the insurer looks at it but generally if you increase power then it makes sense to increase brakes :P

John

EDIT: Its also a good idea to mention you are a member of an enthusiasts club / Brisky as you'll more than likely get a slightly reduced premium as they see it as the owner being more likely to look after their car as opposed to tearing round streets

As others have said check your insurance will allow it, BEFORE you get the remap done. Otherwise you risk being uninsured.

The last company I was with wouldn't allow me to upgrade to a leather interior, never mind consider brake or remaps.

Last year I rang Adrian Flux for a quote for a Remapped Fabia (mine isn't ATM) and the policy was £100 more and £100-£200 more excess than their Standard policy. The trouble was their Standard Policy was £100 more expensive than what I eventually paid for E-Sure.

i got quoted £800 for a standard fabia vrs.

then with a remap, pd160 and bigger brakes £2500

i wonder why people dont declare them :rolleyes:

but that sort of increase is what most the mainstreem insurance companys will do due to the fact they dont want to insure cars like that.

Im with Highways, and will soon be adding. 312 Brakes, Fordge FMIC, PD150 Hybrid Stage2, and uprated clutch. and a power to be mapped to 220BHP...... My insurance was increased from £500 to £546..:)

depends who your with.....

Phil's post just sums up why I said what I said earlier - some insurers will refuse to insure you. Others will rip the prices up through the roof. Mine was rather a lot as I do a lot of business mileage and I had to include Europe-wide cover 40k annual and that hurt a *lot* premium wise.

I had a lot of stuff on the car pre-power increase and the premium went up by about 50 quid to deal with handling & brake type things. Adding the hardware (hybrid, fmic) for the power increase did not increase my premium much. However Zurich would not insure a power-increase and only by moving to another insurer could I slap on the map.

Direct line added approx 20% to my premium (most of which was the air filter). I thought this was reasonable as it took it from £32.00 per month to £40.00.

They have a strict 25 yrs + policy on mods though. I can't insure my Mrs even as a named driver because she is 23.

When I was looking around for a VRS there was no difference in the insurance quote between a standard and a remap / suspension / brakes upgrade. That was with Frizzell.

Cheers guys, took me a while to find the thread again! I have twisted my insurers arm that do my classics to insure me for the vrs. Price seems to depend more on if they need your custom to bump up their sales figures. My classic rally car cost £150 per year with cage, twin webers no interior etc.