OE CD Player Probs - Discs ?

BRUN

i dont like leaving cds in my car, they take up too much room in the glove box and id rather copy them and keep the original in the house, yes i do own legit cd's lol

when playing my copies however the drive doesnt seem to like them, at first play its fine, then the next time it rattles for a few seconds and says error, if i then choose cd again it plays fine but from the start again

i got an original out yesterday and put it into the car, and so far it hasnt had any problems

the blanks im using are Memorex, could it be these ?

i dont like leaving cds in my car, they take up too much room in the glove box and id rather copy them and keep the original in the house, yes i do own legit cd's lol

when playing my copies however the drive doesnt seem to like them, at first play its fine, then the next time it rattles for a few seconds and says error, if i then choose cd again it plays fine but from the start again

i got an original out yesterday and put it into the car, and so far it hasnt had any problems

the blanks im using are Memorex, could it be these ?

I've used about 500 different types of cdr over the year, and i'm 99% sure it'll be the discs. I remember my OEM cd changer was fussy with certain discs too.

You could also try burning them at lower speeds. I always burn CD's at 16x, The faster speed you burn at the shorter time they'll last (cdrs have a shelf life) and some things will have a harder time reading them :thumbup:

Just to echo Confused Cheese.. Burn them at a slow speed. Between 4x & 16x, the slower the better. If your system supports it! And buy a brand of disc called Taiyo Yuden! (can get at dvdshoponline.co.uk).

I burn final master pre-production CD's at work every day and we've tested loads of CD's on the market and Taiyo Yuden wipe the floor with em.. even better than TDK & HHB's premium products... If ya get these and burn them at 4x speed you can rule out the CD as the cause. :)

ok cheers

ive always been a fan of Verbatims in the past but not really kept up to date on the latest PC gear for the last few years, i bought these Memorex cos they were on offer @ maplin

also does anyone know what the difference is between a CDR and an Audio CDR, is it just marketing blurb or are they actually better for audio only discs ?

Marketing blurb.. put it this way, the discs I burn that are then cloned 10's of 1000's of times into normal CD's aren't "audio" CD-R's, they're just printable Taiyo Yuden CD-R's.

Taiyo Yuden invented the CD-R and make many other people CD's. Not sure why they aren't widely known over here because apparently they account for 60% of the industry in Japan.

Sorry to sound like a geek, I never get to sound smart about this stuff in normal conversation, lol ;)

lol, nah keep the info coming

should i be looking at those gold ones, i dont really want them in cases as they will be in a cd wallet, are the ones with white tops i keep seeing likely to be legit ?

http://shop.cd-writer.com/catalog/taiyo-yuden-48x-white-full-surface-printable-cdr-suitable-for-all-ink-jet-pack-of-100-p-58290.html

http://www.aprmedia.co.uk/search.php?searchtype=blankcd&searchbrand=67&sector=1&link=m

I had this problem, and it was fixed by a NERO software update. Backups seem to burn better if originals ripped to WAVE files rather than MP3 or WMV. There are also known problems with Windows Media Player 9 and 10 creating naff backups of original discs.

i use Roxio at the moment, got it free on my Dell and didnt want to buy Nero or search for hours for a 'copy' whilst various fake files tried to infect my PC lol

also does anyone know what the difference is between a CDR and an Audio CDR, is it just marketing blurb or are they actually better for audio only discs ?

Easy

Audio CDRs and CDRs are very slightly different in the way they work.

Quiet a few years ago Philips released a Hifi Audio CD Recorder that you connected to your stereo. Record companies did not like this one bit, so the unit was modified and the "Audio CDR" was born. The home hifi CD Recorders can only use these special disks that have a non standard media description, put a normal CDR in one of these recorders and it will not record. Just like Audio Cassettes, "Audio CDRs" are sold and a percentage of the purchase price of these disks go to the record companies.

You can use Audio CDRs in a PC, its just not worth it because they cost a lot more because of the record company payments/

Although I don't have a need for cds really anymore, I occasionally burn some for other people. The following brands seem to work in most:

Sony

Kodak

Cheepo asda £3 for 25 ens

and my alltime fav's bulkpaq (cheep and cheerful but seem to work in everything i've ever used)

Datawrite seem a bit intermitent (especially the dark gray ones, think they're dvds though), and verbatim.

I'd stick to either nero or roxio for cd and dvd burning. I've used lots of free apps like deepburner and they seem to cause more coasters than anything else!

my discs turned up today :) dont look any kind of fancy colour on the recording side which i thought they might do

will give them a go later but i dont think Roxio will let me burn at less than 15x

Curiously, my daughter had the opposite problem, all CDs by a certain (I can't remember their name) group would not play on her Seat (VW) remote CD player - so I ended up copying them using probably Roxio - then she had no problems with them. But that situation only lasted a few years before the CD player started refusing to play any CD s and I had to strip it open to get the magazine and discs out! Anyway Ipod sorted all these problems and now the boot can carry suitcases now that the CD player is resting in the house!!

Curiously, my daughter had the opposite problem, all CDs by a certain (I can't remember their name) group would not play on her Seat (VW) remote CD player - so I ended up copying them using probably Roxio - then she had no problems with them. But that situation only lasted a few years before the CD player started refusing to play any CD s and I had to strip it open to get the magazine and discs out! Anyway Ipod sorted all these problems and now the boot can carry suitcases now that the CD player is resting in the house!!

Lasers tend to get dirty over time, so could of just needed a clean. Also, Cd's have a shelf life. If they're stored in direct sunlight then they'll fade faster. "burning" a disk actually heats a dye embedded on the disk causing a series of pits to form (which is why you can see where its been filled to). Over time this dye seems to fade making the discs less reliable.

Lasers for reading the disc are often mounted on a small spring like assembly which can 'sink' as they get older. I remember my first playstation had this problem, I had to use it upside down to make the laser hang down lol

Anyway nerd moment over :thumbup:

Some VAG OE CD players (and some others) will not play copy protected audio CDs- I've certainly had it in the past.