ECU broken!!!

Guest westallc

i think the outcome is irrelavant now... as the damage has been done by your responses mate....

if it isnt your fault then i suspect he would be a man and apolagise but i can say that any damage done to your company was your own doing from the very start..and not the op's imo

this would have been the complete opposite if you had only worded things different and offerd a helping hand( not pay for it just a help in trying to resolve the issue) and maybe that would have generated more buisness for yourselfs!!!! as it would have show good customer service :rolleyes:

but its now on almost all forums and on google searches etc etc..

question for you gary i saw early in the post someone saying you use dodgy gear to do it surely if this isnt the case you will have the documents to prove that its 100% ligit and put that to rest rather quickly but have seen no sign of you doing such..:o

the chances are that you tried putting the plugs in the ECU with the battery connected and probably caused static to damage it)

Why would having the battery connected (or not) affect static damage to an ECU?

question for you gary i saw early in the post someone saying you use dodgy gear to do it surely if this isnt the case you will have the documents to prove that its 100% ligit and put that to rest rather quickly but have seen no sign of you doing such..:o

Yes all our equipment is 100% genuine and totally up to date, have you not looked at the pictures posted earlier in the thread? CMD FLASH, BYTESHOOTER and POWERGATE We also have a genuine version of ECM TITANIUM fully registered to us so how much more proof of genuine tools would you like...??? :confused:

But yet again, 3 weeks and still no report ??? come on!!!

The outcome may be irrelavant to you but i can assure you it is very relavant to us....

Edited by GaryCT

I have the report from ECU evolutions, and it does blame poor programming, but I'm not going into details here just yet for legal reasons...

I will PM anyone who is interested...

I have the report from ECU evolutions, and it does blame poor programming, but I'm not going into details here just yet for legal reasons...

Count me in.

ok, group PM to be sent later today, once I have a list of who wants one...:D

I would also appreciate a copy as this thread has been a very interesting read through the weeks, and is a lesson in customer relations - or not as the case may be.

I wonder if this will be the biggest group PM ever sent????

Many thanks

Steve

Yes all our equipment is 100% genuine and totally up to date, have you not looked at the pictures posted earlier in the thread? CMD FLASH, BYTESHOOTER and POWERGATE We also have a genuine version of ECM TITANIUM fully registered to us so how much more proof of genuine tools would you like...??? :confused:

But yet again, 3 weeks and still no report ??? come on!!!

The outcome may be irrelavant to you but i can assure you it is very relavant to us....

That's funny, they might be some important brand names, but are they the right tool for the job and do they have skilled operators?

The thing is you've shown pictures of programmers that appear through the diag interface and at the same time you have also stated you take the chips out so as not to put fault codes in. To programme a chip out of the board you need a BGA/DIL/etc programmer which allows you to directly programme the memory inside the chip/CPU.

- CMD-FLASH http://www.allcartuning.com/en/main/tuning-tools/flashtools/cmd-flash.html

This is an OBD programmer and so is not appropriate for programming chips that have been removed from the ECU board

The BDM version you do have to open the case and connect to the board, but the board would be powered in the same way as usual so the fault code occurance would be the same as with the ECU unplugged and powered IMHO

- BYTESHOOTER http://www.allcartuning.com/en/main/tuning-tools/flashtools/byteshooter.html

Again, this interfaces via the ODBII port, so there it is not appropriate for use on a chip that has been removed as you claimed in an earlier post.

- POWERGATE http://chiptunawarehouse.com/ecutools/powergate-m0x-p-108.html

A device for programming via the ODB port, again not not appropriate for use on a chip that has been removed as you described in an earlier post.

- ECM TITANIUM http://chiptunawarehouse.com/ecutools/ecm-titanium-p-104.html

This is software that allows you to tweak values for the ECU, that's great and all but you still need to:

a) know what you're doing

B) have a way to get the output of this onto the removed ECU chip.

It was interesting actually as ECM Titanium has a huge number of hits, but they are nearly all torrents etc ;)

So, do you have a picture of your equipment for programming the removed chips as so far I see no evidence of this or in fact anything that "proves" as you claim that the update applied to the car "could not" have caused the issue.

To be fair in software, even if you do use everything and put the right code down, there is still a chance of random corruption of one data bit, and that could cause anything from no problem, to a load of faults, to a failure to boot or even a safety lock out.

That's the thing with software, unless you're using formal methods, it's very hard to prove 100% that the software isn't at fault.

Yes please, would be very interesting to see what is said and see if it matches my thoughts on the process used.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

I wait with baited breath for GaryCT to ask for an update :rofl:

That's a very amusing but valid point.

Let's hope nobody shares with him the info they receive until JCB has things sorted out at his end.

Just out of interest, does anybody know how he found out about this thread in the first place.

Just found this:

Engine Remapping - Performance Without Limits - Custom Tuning

Will it damage my car?

The plain and simple answer to this is no. We never use generic tuning files. We will always make a custom map for your vehicle and we never sacrifice the reliability of your car for a few extra BHP's.

Love it, everyone knows it is not 100% risk free.

Will it affect my warranty?

We do not install any detectable software into your vehicle. If you still feel apprehensive about taking your vehicle for any warranty or service work with your tuned file installed then simply bring your vehicle back to us and will will remove it free of charge. When the work has been carried out bring it back and we will re-install your tuned file free of charge as many times as you wish.

As for this, it's very easily detectable and anyway they didn't answer their own question anyway :rofl:

But best of all is this:

Do i Have to inform my insurance company?

We are not advising you not to inform your insurance company about your remap but this process is undetectable by any diagnostic equipment. Over 90% of insurance companies will not add any extra premium if you do inform them so the decision is yours.

We are not advising you not to, but they can't see it.. that's very close to Incitement surely.

(Well it's replacement :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encouraging_or_assisting_crime#Encouraging_or_assisting_an_offence_believing_it_will_be_committed)

Even more fun is the whois records not being valid for a company, which is a breach of the nominet rules and means the website could be shut down if this was noticed by them and not corrected in a timely fashion ;)

Domain name:

customtuning.co.uk

Registrant:

Mvg

Registrant type:

Unknown

Registrant's address:

barnard road

bradford

west yorkshire

BD4 7DX

GB

Registrar:

Mesh Digital Limited t/a Domainmonster.com [Tag = MONST

ER]

URL: Domain Name Registration - Bulk Discount Domain Names & .Tel Domain Name Registration Services

Relevant dates:

Registered on: 12-Nov-2008

Renewal date: 12-Nov-2010

Last updated: 23-Nov-2008

Registration status:

Registered until renewal date.

Name servers:

ns1.krystal.co.uk

ns2.krystal.co.uk

WHOIS lookup made at 11:46:21 14-May-2009

Edited by cheezemonkhai

It's worrying how many remappers say similar things to their customers about remaps and insurance. I think they should all play safe and advise it to be declared. If the customer then goes against that advice they've covered their a**es.