Straightlining roundabouts?

Is it legal?

It is fun :) obviously I only do it where I can see the roundabout to ensure I am not going to be conflicting with anything that is coming towards me!! (or alongside me, or in front) :thumbup: and I feel it is good because it means I don't have to lose so much speed / accelerate as much.

(just to clarify what I mean - dual carriage way with two lanes - I am in the outside lane before the roundabout, as I move into the roundabout I don't steer as much so I come close to the middle of the roundabout (inside lane) and then I don't steer as much on the exit, so I am back at the left lane at my exit)

Not an offence in itself, might call into question the manner of driving and give them a reason to pull you in to check your not on the sauce as lane discipline is usually a good pointer to drink/drugs drivers or folk on their phones.

In all honesty, I have no issue with that - I am not breaking the law or being dangerous I have nothing to fear then :thumbup:

only worry is the fact that the police around here seem to be very much happy to slap people with "driving without due care and attention" - is it likely I could be hit up like this, even though it is safe?

Not an offence in itself, might call into question the manner of driving and give them a reason to pull you in to check your not on the sauce as lane discipline is usually a good pointer to drink/drugs drivers or folk on their phones.

I think that comes down to how you do it :D

Chris

as long as there isnt anyone else who could be affected by you straightlining then i dont see a problem, but not something you do in the rush hour on a full roundabout.

Yep, totally agree, no problem with it at all so long as you're not conflicting or confusing other road users. You always need to check for people going faster than you too, just incase they fancy straight-lining the roundabout as well ;)

Never been to Milton Keynes, have you?
plenty of times having people in the left lane turning right, people in the right lane turning left and idiots that cannot follow the course of the road. Yeap safely say i have had the pleasures many a time.

I straight-line empty roundabouts in Bradford if it's not going to interfere with other drivers. I'd be surprised if the policy questioned you if it doesn't cause any issues, and you're not going at an excessive speed, because it makes your drive safer and less challenging. I understand that the police could view it as a sign of intoxication but there would be other signs of this present, eg general inability to stick within your lane, etc.

I do this quite a lot as it means I can just leave it in a higher gear and not have to loose as much speed etc.

I think as long as there isn't anyone else around that you are going to affect then it is safer as you are keeping a straighter driving line and reducing the amount you have to steer etc.

I was told by my driving instructor doing this means driving test fail. But when it's safe to do so I sometimes do it :)

I was told by my driving instructor doing this means driving test fail. But when it's safe to do so I sometimes do it :)

Yep, DSA (and even IAM syllabus :rolleyes:) like lane discipline to be maintained at roundabouts, regardless of the conditions. Interestingly, the IAM/RoSPA examiners don't encourage it if you ask if you can do it at the start of the test, but if you don't ask and just do it (and do it well), you'll likely be praised. Provided that safety isn't compromised and there's a benefit, ie maintaining a view, better stability or a smoother ride, I'd be encouraging people to do it. :D

Chris

Another one who says it's fine as long as you don't hold up, cut up or confuse other road users. So it needs you to be able to see a ways down any entrances you'll be passing, and reasonably sure there's no-one coming up your back at a rate of knots.

I do this quite a lot as it means I can just leave it in a higher gear and not have to loose as much speed etc.

I think as long as there isn't anyone else around that you are going to affect then it is safer as you are keeping a straighter driving line and reducing the amount you have to steer etc.

Just think, you are saving the planet with less emmisions by straightlining.

Hello,

Personally can't see a problem if visability is perfect and no traffic is moving near or around the said round-about.

However, a police-car observing your little chicane movement could well have concerns about it, and book you for driving without care and attention. Hard thing to disprove at your court session, and having points added to your driving license.

Good-luck to those willing to try it out.

Ian. 27/05/2009 :thumbup:

Em, neither straight-lining nor off-siding are illegal as long as you don't place your offside wheels on the "wrong" side of a solid white line on your normal side of the road, and do not force another road user to slow down or change direction in order to avoid you.

I can't really see how you could be done for driving without due care and attention because if you are knowingly doing this then you are likely to be paying more attention etc than most any other road user around you.

Phil

I can't really see how you could be done for driving without due care and attention because if you are knowingly doing this then you are likely to be paying more attention etc than most any other road user around you.

Phil

As I mentioned earlier, it depends how you do it and whether it's safe. Just because you're taking a straightline through a roundabout doesn't mean you're doing it safely so plenty of scope for being done ;)

Chris

• 5 months later...

This has got to be my biggest pet hate.

Do it during a DSA driving test and you immediately get a serious fault and fail.

It is fine when there really is no other road user around 2am, but there are so many idiots out on the road who straight line roundabouts when the roads are really busy. You are turning right and the muppet in lane 1 is going straight.... into the side of your car. :mad:

My personal opinion, if you are going so fast at a roundabout that you feel the need to go straight, then you are probably going too fast. How much effort does it take to ease off the power and turn the steering wheel to follow the lane correctly?