Aircon problem

Hi,

I have a 2007 (07) Octavia 2.0 Sport tdi pd DSG. Using it as a taxi. Done 64000 miles. Full dealer S/H. Out of warranty. Just recently noticed that the aircon is not blowing out the usual cool air. It just seemed to stop suddenly !

Took it to a local guy who regasses aircon units.However he does not fix them, only regasses !

Told me that the gas is fine but noticed that the clutch on the compressor is not 'kicking in' when the aircon button is pressed on the dashboard. I suspected that it wasn't the gas beacuse when the button is pressed on the console there is no clicking noise that you get from the relay and also no drop in engine revs when the pump normally kicks in.

Does anyone know what my problem may be ?? Could it be the clutch on the compressor or the relay switch or pressure switch etc.??

Please help, it's not pleasant cabbing all day in this heat with no aircon !! :mad:

Edited by mdbirtles
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took it to the dealer and they 'wangled' it under the warranty so will get it done for nowt' !!

Is booked in next Wednesday, 17th June. Compressor had gone bang !!

I suppose that is the advantage of going to the same dealer for your servicing. They do tend to help you out where they can. :thumbup:

Yes, I have found a dealer is more accomodating if you spend your money there on servicing. That has saved you a shedload of cash though.

For your reference, the Octavia 2 A/C compressor does not click when being switched on and off as it does not have a clutch to speak of, the compressor is always running but internal bypass valves reduce the amount of gas being pumped to something like 2%, this means the shaft seal is less likely to dry out and leak all of its gas.

My a/c failed some time ago and I paid £40 for the gas to be topped up. However, it didn't actually need much and after that, the fault remained. They didn't understand what their "diagnostics" told them either!

Whilst the compressor sounded as though it was working, turned out this was the proble. A good chum, an expert mechanic, very kindly looked at the car and discovered a bolt had fallen off the compressor (found in the tray under the engine) and replacing that has solved the problem.

According to my understanding most Zelex/Valeo aircon compressors will fail. Many VW group cars are affected by this problem. VW and Audi have technical bulletin that mention the problem VW870710 (see http://www.geocities.com/nfe100/Technical_Bulletins/2007.08.23_Air_conditioner_inoperative.pdf).

Solution is to replace the Zelex compressor with a Denso or Sanden compressor.

I too am about to have my aircon compressor replaced!

My compressor on my MK2 octavia went a year ago. It siezed and snaped the belt. I unpluged it and unsiezed it to get me running again. I recently bought one off e-bay the only problem is I broke the electrical plug. Is there a guide for fitting the compressor and does anyone know where to get a plug from?

I've had a new compressor too.

Bought car last August (Jan. 07 model) and on the way home found AC just not working.

Compressor found to be faulty - thankfully all done under warranty as the full quote was around £800 and at least half a day as half the car needs taking apart or something.

Mine was hissing quite loudly when aircon was on behind the dash. Was winter so didn't put on very often. hissing noise has now gone but so has the cold air. had to have the system looked at last year by dealer who had to top gas up after only a year. Back to dealer under warranty?

Mine was hissing quite loudly when aircon was on behind the dash. Was winter so didn't put on very often. hissing noise has now gone but so has the cold air. had to have the system looked at last year by dealer who had to top gas up after only a year. Back to dealer under warranty?

In a word, yes. Take it back in. You shouldn't be loosing that much gas in that space of time.

Steve

• 1 year later...

I had same problem - loud hissing noise from behind dashboard. I had it regased by dealer where I bought it from and it worked for appp 2 weeks. I took it back and they had it for week. This time it worked for app 3 weeks. After that I took it to my friend to have it regased and to have dye injected.

I have got Uv lamp and glasses, but cannot see any leaks.

PLEASE would anybody have any idea what could it be. I am worried that it is the condenser. I do not even know where the condenser is. Also someone mentioned drier (which again I do not know where it is).

Many thanks for any help.... :)...

The condenser is behind the grille at the front of the car and can be prone to hits from debris on the road. If there was a hissing behind the dash there could be a leak on the evaporator it can also be a symptom of gas shortage too. You might have to get the system pressure tested rather than keep topping it up with refrigerant seeing as it costs money and is bad for the environment!

Worth noting it is now illegal to refill an a/c system with R134a knowing there is a leak and using dye and UV goggles etc.

The system does get noisy when the gas is low, I have noticed this a lot on the Octavia 2.

Some loss is expected and acceptable, compressor failure is also common, there is technical info on it. When a compressor is replaced the drier should also be replaced and if the compressor has failed internally the system should also be flushed to remove debris or the new compressor wont last long.

Edited by Tech1e

I agree with the above comments, We have had problems with one make of condensor leaking and for the life of me i cannot remember which make gives the problem i think it is denso but dont hold me to this. Something which a lot of people overlook is if there is ANY faults in the engine i.e. stored faults, the aircon will not operate untill these faults have been rectified. Phil.

• 7 months later...

I agree with the above comments, We have had problems with one make of condensor leaking and for the life of me i cannot remember which make gives the problem i think it is denso but dont hold me to this. Something which a lot of people overlook is if there is ANY faults in the engine i.e. stored faults, the aircon will not operate untill these faults have been rectified. Phil.

Phil, ANY faults? Does that mean even down to:

01-Engine -- Status: Malfunction 0010

3 Faults Found:

17057 - Cylinder 3 Glow Plug Circuit (Q12): Electrical Fault

P0673 - 000 - -

Freeze Frame:

RPM: 966 /min

Torque: 65.9 Nm

Speed: 0.0 km/h

Load: 0.0 %

Voltage: 14.44 V

Bin. Bits: 00101100

Temperature: -1.8°C

Bin. Bits: 10110000

17058 - Cylinder 4 Glow Plug Circuit (Q13): Electrical Fault

P0674 - 000 - -

Freeze Frame:

RPM: 966 /min

Torque: 65.9 Nm

Load: 0.0 %

Voltage: 14.44 V

Temperature: -1.8°C

Bin. Bits: 10110000

18051 - Please check DTC Memory of Electric Load Controller

P1643 - 000 - -

Freeze Frame:

RPM: 1155 /min

Torque: 122.0 Nm

Load: 26.3 %

Voltage: 9.35 V

Torque: 173.2 Nm

Bin. Bits: 1 00 1

Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0

Not 100% sure if they would stop the ac working but if they clear you would know then. i would be inclined to try and clear those faults and try your ac and see what happens, cant remember your initial symptoms but they do suffer with condensor leaks, compressor issues, pressure sensor faults, one thing you can try is does your cooling fans run when the engine is running with the ac on cos ive also seen the main wirring conector to the radiator fans corroded, if this has happened your ac will not work. you have obviously got vds to hand also try going into 08 ac and try looking at the measuring value block section and have a play with some mvbs to see what is and what isnt operating as it should, Hope this helps Phil

• 4 weeks later...

Not 100% sure if they would stop the ac working but if they clear you would know then. i would be inclined to try and clear those faults and try your ac and see what happens, cant remember your initial symptoms but they do suffer with condensor leaks, compressor issues, pressure sensor faults, one thing you can try is does your cooling fans run when the engine is running with the ac on cos ive also seen the main wirring conector to the radiator fans corroded, if this has happened your ac will not work. you have obviously got vds to hand also try going into 08 ac and try looking at the measuring value block section and have a play with some mvbs to see what is and what isnt operating as it should, Hope this helps Phil

still struggling on with this...

Faults were cleared and ac still doesnt work. No leaks in the system-but I did notice that the rad fans dont come on, but already stripped all that and wiring seems fine (even changed the cabin filter as one post suggested that might be the cause-but I dont see how).

So I now need to figure out how to establish if its a compressor issue before I blindly go replacing it for a fortune! If I monitor the compressor load it sits at 1.5 and its rpm goes with the revs but the load doesnt seem to step up when more cool is required (I would have thought it should). Having not got a good ac system to compare it to it makes it more difficult.

Is there a way to check pressure and temp sensors easily using VCDS?

• 5 years later...

Oh dear im not likeing all these posts about a failed compressor :peek:  my aircon dont work and i got a 06 octavia  so ten to a pound  its the compressor has gone i payed to have air con  serviced and re gassed in vain hopes but nope dont work evena second hand one is exspecive and then how do you know its a working one im gutted i love air con but it looks like im gona stay with out it as i see prices for just a pump 400 pounds plus :sweat:

oh well thats life i ges

all the best anthoney

Oh dear im not likeing all these posts about a failed compressor :peek:  my aircon dont work and i got a 06 octavia  so ten to a pound  its the compressor has gone i payed to have air con  serviced and re gassed in vain hopes but nope dont work evena second hand one is exspecive and then how do you know its a working one im gutted i love air con but it looks like im gona stay with out it as i see prices for just a pump 400 pounds plus :sweat:

oh well thats life i ges

all the best anthoney

You can get Nissin pump for about £200. Easy enough to fit yourself and then get it a re-gas.