Anyone done turboswap on PD140?

Hi!

I am currently investigating purchase of a Octy mk II 2,0 TDI - probably a 4wd estate.

As I understand there are three PD140 used in Octy mk II: (Wikipedia)

2,0-16V - 136ps/320nm - AZV - 04-08

2,0-16V - 140ps/320nm - BKD - 04-08

2,0-8V - 140ps/320nm - BMM - 07->

What turbos are used on theese? Garret or KKK?

Have anyone tried swapping the original turbo to a larger unit?

I have contacted someone selling a Garrett GTB2260VK-unit from a 3,0TDI, and a GTB1756VK-unit from the 2,7TDI - both with a modified VNT-actuator to fit the system of the PD140's "older" N75-system.

The seller say this is a easy swap, which will give a good drivabillity and much power - especially with a custom remap. But I want a second opinion from you guys! :)

Olit

PS! The seller also say that the PD140 is the most tuneable of the 2,0 TDI's, as you can upgrade the "hardware" such as turbos, injectors etc. He says this is much more difficult with the PD170. DS.

Well, petrol vRS's go pretty well too, but I quite a few people install lager turbos, changing fuel-pumps, larger IC's etc.

Why not do some proper tuning to a TDI? It is possible you know.

As I said - I will choose the PD140, because the PD170 has more limitations. If just a chip/remap was what I was after, the PD170 would be the choice. But for more extensive work the PD140 is said to be a better object.

But no experience to be found here, so better go back to TDICLUB.

Olit

There is a guy from Bulgaria, who did 200 bhp from a 2.0 TDI - PD on 10k miles Octavia II by changing the Turbo. There is a whole thread with 34 pages (499 posts), regarding this car. Cause I am reading this thread I can swear - this guy is a Master of Skoda Turbo Diesel Science. If you are interested it will take time, but I will translate for you. Here is a link (for a beginning just check the pics) - SkodaClub BG • ??? ?????? - Octavia II GS (Gunter Sport) "?????????" Project

Edited by C2H5OH

Hi again!

The seller of the turbo(s) is by the way from Romania.

There are some VAG-car-owners that have installed a BMW 2260 on the 1,9 TDI, with very good results.

But as far as I know none have tried a GTB2260VK from the Audi 3,0 or the GTB1756VK from the Audi 2,7 on a PD140 - 2,0 - 16V, even thou its is recognized as a good-flowing head - much better than the old 1,9 - 8V.

Olit

The standard Garret turbo is the weak point of the 2.0 as is poor head castings on early models.

Issues with tuning the 170 come around the DPF, this would also effect the BMM which also runs a DPF. If you fancy going the hybrid route and someone like turbo dynamics will take a working unit as an exchange I have a spare one.

Hi Lummox!

Yes, I was told that one challenge with the BMN (PD170) was the DPF -> not beeing able to turn it of, so I should not bother about that engine. And I assume it is the same regarding the BMM (PD140).

That leaves us with the AZV and BKD. What do you think of them? Except bad head-castings.. When was this a problem?

Regarding the 2,7 and 3,0-turbos - I think they are not integrated in the maifold, but have flanges and are bolted on. So some welding must be done - modifying the original manifold or making a custom manifold from scratch.

So my question is if somebody have done this before, and where can I find the information. The info on TDICLUB is mainly about 1,9 - 8V.

Olit

Edited by olit
x

My PD170's DPF is being removed end of this week / early next. With no other mods, just the Milltek DPF-less down pipe and remap, it should do somewhere around 230hp / 455Nm.

Keep us posted!!:)

Do you by the way have any details how you "exclude" the DPF from the ECU?

What turbo is originally on the PD170? Is it the GT1749V - aka VNT17-Vb from the 1,9 - PD150?

Olit

It's a GT1749VC.

Don't have the full details on how the DPF regen is totally disabled, JBS are doing it for me. I chatted to them at GTI International this weekend and they assured me they've cracked it. Just as importantly they've promised total support if there were to be any problems with it down the line.

Edited by wega3k

Actually, I'm not 100% sure whether it's a GT1749VC or a GTB1749VM. Midland Turbo says it's the latter, on a Golf / Passat at least. I remember reading on the web when I was buying my PD170 that the GT1749VC is much better than the GT1749VB.

Guess another approach for dumping the DPF would instead of fiddling with the Siemens ECU, just dump it for an EDC16 from a scrapped PD140?

Edited by wega3k

Not sure either, but I think I read a post on tdiclub.com some time ago where someone claimed to have done it. Can't find the link and they could of course have been talking nonsense.

• 1 month later...
Actually, I'm not 100% sure whether it's a GT1749VC or a GTB1749VM. Midland Turbo says it's the latter, on a Golf / Passat at least. I remember reading on the web when I was buying my PD170 that the GT1749VC is much better than the GT1749VB.

Guess another approach for dumping the DPF would instead of fiddling with the Siemens ECU, just dump it for an EDC16 from a scrapped PD140?

Just been talking to a chap who knows a fair amount about Bosch and Siemens ECUs and he assures me getting a PD170 running with an EDC16 would be extremely hard. He also said it's a great shame VAG didn't use a Bosch ECU on the PD170 as the Siemens is nasty and limiting to work with.

Turbo Dynamics do a bolt on hybrid for the BKD PD140, its approx£1000. Reading up on there website it looks like not only will you get more power but they also reckon its better built and should be more durable. According to there site, with the hybrid and a remap you should get between 220 and 240bhp !! I am in the process of a turbo replacement but because I have a DSG, I have opted for a standard exchange unit from Turbo Technics ,£440+VAT and they warranty there turbos for 2years!

remember if you get the 4X4, it has the 8 valve head only, dont know if that will make a difference to the tuning margins.

What is the engine-code for the PD140 4x4 then?

Olit