Spare wheel = cost option

i dont think the octavia's have ever come with a full size alloy spare . The one that came with my Vrs is classed as a space saver but is a 16" steel wheel with a 205/55/16 tyre

The VRS never came with a full size, always a 16" steel.

The other Octys with 16" or smaller wheels come with a full size spare. Most with a full size spare alloy.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first time I came across the gunk and no spare wheel scenario was a Honda Civic a couple of years ago. They call it the "IMS system" = Instant Mobility System and it consisted of a can of gunk together with a compressor. The gunk actually had a 'sell by date' stamped on it and I seem to recall it was not that cheap to replace. After insisting on a spare they eventually provided a space saver so I ended up with both.

Thankfully with my Octy facelift I was in the nick of time, it having a full size matching 16" alloy as standard. :thumbup:

Reson for this move is

1) Marginally more profit

2) More importantly, they can claim reduced CO2 (through weight reduction). EU CO2 targets upcomoning mean big penalties for high CO2 (averaged over all car production)

Because they have cheap rubber which is speed rated.

Most alloy'd cars have a full size spare. The VRS never has, as a 17 or 18" 225 wont fit in the well!

I've got 17" upgrade on an Elegance, and get a 16" steel.

thats the anooying thing. Mine has a proper tyre on it, but because of the silly sticker Mr Plod would spot me going too fast. I suspect that mine is fitted with this because the haldx causes a slightly shallower boot!

I ordered a SE 1.8TSI from the old brochure last month as they could not supply the SE 1.4TSI I really wanted and my dealer is supplying a steel spare and tool kit(?) at no cost to me as I said I would not drive anywhere without a spare......I did this today after careful study over the weekend of the new brochure.

I also pointed out that the 1.4TSI is now in the lower F band of car tax to the dealer which is also a change from the previous brochure........I try to be helpful!!

Same on my 2004 elegance.

Am I right in thinking that once you use tyre weld, the tyre can't be properly repaired because of the deposits inside the tyre left by the aerosol?

Mike

Yes.

Use the gunk, and you need a new tyre. So not environmentally sound idea is it?

Yes.

Use the gunk, and you need a new tyre. So not environmentally sound idea is it?

Give me a proper spare tyre all the time.

I agree that putting a canister of gunk into a punctured but otherwise repairable tyre is not at all environmentally friendly. I had to do this on a previous car. The tyre was ruined (even though it was nearly new) and the alloy wheel had to be cleaned with some pretty nasty chemicals. The tyre repair man rolled his eyes when I said I had used the gunk.

Gunk would not have helped when I got a sidewall puncture that made itself known on the M1 at 70mph. Offside rear wheel, so changing it was not a safe option as I would have been playing in the traffic. Skoda Assist came out, but it was just over an hour as I was low priority. Spending an hour down the embankment at the side in the snow was the most exciting time of my life! However, change the wheel and I was off again. With gunk, would I still have been there now?

Reply from Skoda Customer Services

Thank you for your most recent e-mail dated 3 July 2009, regarding the Space Saver spare wheel, which is available as an optional extra for the Octavia vRS.

Having discussed your enquiry with our Technical Support Team, I must advise that whilst I am unable to provide you with the specific dimensions for the Space Saver wheel, I can confirm that it has the same rolling radius as the standard alloy wheels featured on the vRS model.

The Space Saver for the vRS is a steel wheel, rather than an alloy and has a narrower tyre in order to save space when stored in the boot of the vehicle. The dimensions of the tyre will be featured on the tyre itself.

There is a speed restriction of 50mph or 80kmh for the Space Saver, which is in place for safety reasons. The spare wheel is therefore intended to be used in an emergency, to enable you to travel to your nearest retailer for a permanent repair.

I trust I have answered your enquiry, however if you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards

I am quite surprised they are unable to confirm the wheel and tyre size :confused:

Agreed - you would expect them to have gathered and have available this information as soon as they realised that they were no longer supplying a spare wheel.

Surely they would have expected most people to order a spare wheel, or, at least try and source one themselves so that they did not feel that they were being fleeced by Skoda for what is, in my opinion, a fairly important safety feature on a car?

certainly no space issue with the tyre well on my 56 Elegance hatchbatch. Has the tyre well size been changed on the later models, to reduce the amount of steel required to manufacture the car. I appreciate VRS's with 17's and 18's have bigger wheels.

certainly no space issue with the tyre well on my 56 Elegance hatchbatch. Has the tyre well size been changed on the later models, to reduce the amount of steel required to manufacture the car. I appreciate VRS's with 17's and 18's have bigger wheels.

You would think that the wheel well of all Skodas would be the same dimension and designed to fit all standard fitment Skoda wheels i.e. the rolling radius of all OEM wheel/tire combos stays "the same" (within a few percent) so that as the wheel gets bigger (e.g. an 18" vRS rim) the tyre sidewall gets smaller so that the overall rim/tyre size stays the same. A 16" Elegance wheel+tyre should be (almost) the same size as an 18"vRS wheel+tyre.

Even though I don't agree with Skoda's penny-pinching, 50 quid for a spare wheel+tyre seems a reasonable price to me, especially if it's a full-size alloy (or even a space-saver plus tyre).

if I was considering a new one, if there was no spare of any description included, no sale, I would look elsewhere. Anyone know if the Golf mk6 have adopted this ridiculous policy.

Actually Skoda are late players to this practice. Many other major marques adopted this policy a while ago.

PS Must go and check the air pressure on my 09 Elegance's standard equipment full size and matching Crateris alloy spare wheel :D

Actually Skoda are late players to this practice. Many other major marques adopted this policy a while ago.

PS Must go and check the air pressure on my 09 Elegance's standard equipment full size and matching Crateris alloy spare wheel :D

Ha ha - it is alright for some :thumbup:

I think if your Octy has 16'' alloys,then you get a alloy spare,my two previous did and had;my current L&K has 17''alloys and a 16'' steel spare.I'm thinking the wheel well will not accomodate anything over 16''?

You would think that the wheel well of all Skodas would be the same dimension and designed to fit all standard fitment Skoda wheels i.e. the rolling radius of all OEM wheel/tire combos stays "the same" (within a few percent) so that as the wheel gets bigger (e.g. an 18" vRS rim) the tyre sidewall gets smaller so that the overall rim/tyre size stays the same. A 16" Elegance wheel+tyre should be (almost) the same size as an 18"vRS wheel+tyre.

The overall rolling diameter is supposed to be the same, I think the the issue is with the width of the tyre/wheel and therefore the depth of the well in the car. I have a vRS with 18" alloys and a 16" steel spare. If I had to use it I would juggle wheels to have the spare on the rear axle so it isn't on the front (drive) axle.

IIRC the tyre on the spare is speed rated at something like 180 or 200kmh (no speed warning sticker fitted to mine here in Oz), but I would be wary of cornering too enthusiastically with it mounted, as it would almost certainly have different grip to the other 3 tyres.

I agree that only having a can of gunk is absolutely useless if the tyre has anything more than a small puncture.

My dealer has come back to me.

Steel full-sized will be in the the well :thumbup:

The gunk is pointless in my view. A small puncture still means a brand new tyre.

My dealer has spoken with Skoda when ordering my new car and has been told that for an L&K, the ONLY option is a space saver.

I had rung Skoda myself, and they say that whilst the brochure actually says that the car comes with both a space saver and a repair kit, it is a mistake and according to the phone call I had back from Skoda support, it will have to be reprinted! :eek:

It is not enough of a problem for me to cancel the order, because as mentioned in an earlier post this is now common across most marques. BUT I am not now as enamoured of Skoda, who like to describe themselves as 'The manufacturer of happy drivers'.:mad:

The most stupid thing is that the spare wheel well in the boot is unchanged, so it will have a space in it that is not useful.

Regarding a wheel jack, if you order the factory fit spare, my dealer has confirmed with Skoda that it comes with this.

Lets hope that Skoda look in on this site, and see the weight of opinion against them.

I had rung Skoda myself, and they say that whilst the brochure actually says that the car comes with both a space saver and a repair kit, it is a mistake and according to the phone call I had back from Skoda support, it will have to be reprinted! :eek:

Now there's a surprise!!!!

Just done a trawl of the internet about space saving spare tyres, and it actually seems as if us Skoda drivers are late to the party. Many others already have these awful things. Does not stop me hating them.