Number Plates - VRS Logo

Been looking for over an hour myself, all the usual suspects but no avail. In the past i've managed to get fairly tasty plates off fancyplates.com, with a simple border incorporating the peugeot logo. Unfortunately i'm not a fan of the fancyplates skoda logo and really probably just wanted the VRS logo down the side.

Tried Demon plates but they wont do illegal spacing so no good (before anyone says anything, i know, but i'm turning ABC 1A into A BC1A and i've had it like that on other cars with no problems, as its not silly spacing, font, colour, etc)

There was one site which let you put your own picture in but i couldnt even find a decent VRS logo jpg!

Might have to have a rethink, or order THIS for the time being to give me time to search for one i like more?

Edit: seems it didnt save the fancyplates settings - basically manufacturer logo of skoda on the left, in blue. Not great but might look better in the flesh i suppose.

Edited by mr_awol
as above

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm turning ABC 1A into A BC1A ...., as its not silly spacing

just out of curiousity, if you find that acceptable then what do you actually consider to be silly spacing?

just out of curiousity, if you find that acceptable then what do you actually consider to be silly spacing?

Stuff like where people push a 1 and a 2 together to make an R - that kind of thing.

Let's face it. ANPR cameras should be perfectly capable or reading the individual letters as long as they are legal font, size, and have the legal distance between them and another letter - as should the human eye.. Messing with the grouping is hardly going to make a number plate any less recognisable - if anything more so, and i dont believe anyone who tells me that some little old lady is going to be a better witness if the groups are right, as she wont know which order they're supposed to be in anyway! :D

Stuff like where people push a 1 and a 2 together to make an R - that kind of thing.

Let's face it. ANPR cameras should be perfectly capable or reading the individual letters as long as they are legal font, size, and have the legal distance between them and another letter - as should the human eye.. Messing with the grouping is hardly going to make a number plate any less recognisable - if anything more so, and i dont believe anyone who tells me that some little old lady is going to be a better witness if the groups are right, as she wont know which order they're supposed to be in anyway! :D

in a way i see your point, i also dont see why they are so strict with letter size on cars when motorbikes have to be read by the same equipment and they have smaller letters.

but the law is the law and if you space them incorrectly you will be fined.

years ago i space a plate out to read K3-7G-NH or something to that effect, the police went mental at me for making it look belgian, and his arguement was the spacing didnt match my tax disc??? lol was funny tho and i never got fined.

ANPR will NOT read it if the spacing is incorrect...believe me:cool:

thats handy to know :thumbup:

not that i have illegal spacing anyway nor do i see the point with my reg plate.

TBH if people didnt take the p___ with silly fonts, italics, colours, cramming letters together to make them look like something else, number plate pins to distort, it, etc then there would probably be no problem with shifting the groups around.

I could have got my plate for about £800 less if i'd used a '1' and a '2' instead of an 'R' but at the end of the day i am comfortable that as long as you are civil and havnt been impersonating a rally driver then most coppers would ignore my mis-grouping. In fact i've had two comments from police on it (may not be exact quotes, both were a good few years ago):

"So that will be your car with the illegal number plate then.......... yeah looks good i suppose but i could technically book you for it" - traffic officer who thought i'd cut it a bit fine to leave the motorway (at the two strike marker so hardly cutting the chevrons) and wanted a word.

and

"By the way i'm sure you know your number plate's illegally spaced, have you got an MOT soon?................ well i'm not going to do anything about it partly because if your MOT is in four months then they'll make you change it for that anyway" - local copper who passed my house as i was coming off the drive and wanted to talk about seatbelts (i tend to leave it off until i've reversed off the drive then put it on as i'm pulling off down the road - he saw me doing this and quite rightly pointed out that i was seatbeltless, not that he did anything about it having heard my reason)

Testomony to there still being some common sense in policing, neither of them took any action, and since then i've had numerous police cars behind me and none of them have stopped me. My cars are generally immaculately cared for, are always taxed, insured and so on. TBH, although i know i'm biased, any police officer who pulls you for grouping like my mis-spacing either is looking for an excuse because they suspect you've done something else wrong, or they simply havent got enough work to do! :eek:

That's pretty shoddy. Given the number of combinations of 1,2,3 letters, prefix, suffix, 'new' style, old/cherished style, etc, plus foreign plates, you'd have thought that they'd have been able to create a more robust system.

I take it you do mean grouping like mine, rather than actual reduction of the minimum spacing between two letters?

In my experience:

You won't get pulled for euro pressed plates, which are "illegal" by the way

You won't be pulled for mis-spaced plates using the standard font as long as they are clearly ledgible

You won't get puled or fail MOT for not having BS markings or a non standard font as they can't fail you any more as long as it's ledgible

You WILL get pulled and your plate cited as the reason IF:

Your being a K N O B

Your car is pink (6 points in car snooker)

Oh and PS for some reason Demon sell you "show plates" all mis-spaced and the like but still print their postode name and the BS No on them?!?!?!?!!???!? Go Figure..........

PPS my mis-spaced plate plate has in the past been piced up by ANPR and I've recieved a speeding ticket from a mobile van so if they can still get you, what's the complaint?............

In my experience:

You won't get pulled for euro pressed plates, which are "illegal" by the way

in my experience plates of those style saw me in court!

Oh and PS for some reason Demon sell you "show plates" all mis-spaced and the like but still print their postode name and the BS No on them?!?!?!?!!???!? Go Figure..........

According to their site they will correctly space the plates, no matter what you put down - unless this is an 'official' line and in reality they will do what you ask. Perhaps i will give them a call

i have 3d carbon number plates on my car, never been pulled but site said they are legal, although i have a cherished plate and looked at the car one day and thought 'something is wrong here' and it was the frst digit was an R instead of a W.

I'd had them on the car for over a month, needless to say after crapping myself i changed the plates to the old ones and reordered the correct plate.

According to their site they will correctly space the plates, no matter what you put down - unless this is an 'official' line and in reality they will do what you ask. Perhaps i will give them a call

Just looked and they have added a revision from 1st Nov 2008, I had my last set from them in about June 08 so you may be stuffed although show plates without any BS numbers on are still widely available from graphics shops and especially at shows, saw them for sale in Newark a few weeks ago.

Statutory Instrument 2001 No. 561 is the real gospel for number plate rules. A useful bit in there is Schedule 2, Part 1, Article 1 which states:

1. The plate must be made of retroreflecting material which, as regards its construction, colour and other qualities, complies with the requirements of -

(a) the British Standard specification for retroreflecting number plates published on 15 January 1998 under number BS AU 145d[13], or

(B) any other relevant standard or specification recognised for use in an EEA State and which, when in use, offers a performance equivalent to that offered by a plate complying with the British Standard specification,

and which, in either case, is marked with the number (or such other information as is necessary to permit identification) of that standard or specification.

This means retroreflective German style pressed aluminium plates are legal, if they bear the DIN logo front and rear. It's a very faint translucent logo on the front, maybe only visible from an angle.

However, this does not mean that the German FE font is legal here - You MUST use the prescribed font from BS AU 145d. A key concept here is that the regulations treat the registration plate and the registration mark as separate entities.

If your pressed aluminium plates are DIN (or some other equiv Euro standard) approved and marked as such, you do not need the BS AU 145d related text at the bottom of the plate (BS AU 145d and the name, trade mark or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier and name and postcode of supplying outlet) for them to be road legal.

Edited by wega3k

£60 fine for illegal spacing now..... imho don't even look good...

And if you have a private plate, and arent obeying the law on displaying it, the DVLA can now revoke it without any option of appealing. Could potentially revoke any plate which would make getting a new one expensive and interesting....

It's because all number plae characters have to be standardised in order to be read by the ANPR cameras; and all letters are standardised in CAPITAL letters. You don't need an "I" to be written as an "i" because nothing else looks like "I" (as "1" has a hook leading into it)

My source says they can read them, but takes too long to scan all the options they have loaded. So they're set to display anything complying to standards for any country, and flag everything else for manual intervention :rofl:

And if you have a private plate, and arent obeying the law on displaying it, the DVLA can now revoke it without any option of appealing. Could potentially revoke any plate which would make getting a new one expensive and interesting....

I think they have to give you a warnign first, or that you have to be given the FPN once before you can be reported to DVLA, or something. Cant remember exactly but remember seeing something about it somewhere

I dont know why people dont just comply with the regs. Anyone who doesnt deserves what they get. People who chose to misrepresent their plate and use stupid fonts logos etc only moan when they get pulled over! Losers!

I think they have to give you a warnign first, or that you have to be given the FPN once before you can be reported to DVLA, or something. Cant remember exactly but remember seeing something about it somewhere

It's two strikes and your out. Rather two FPN and you loose the REg. no.

is my plates illegal then? and would i be likely to get pulled? ive had these dun by a shop

please send your feedbacks is it 60 pound fine or do u get 3 points aswell?

Yes - from what I can see on the pic its illegal.....

• Skoda/vRS badge is not allowed
  • No British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d)
  • No name, trade mark or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier
  • No name and postcode of the supplying outlet

Spacing is also suspect - I think there should be more of a gap between the 7 and the OWD - this may trigger ANPR cameras.

Having said all that I've seen a lot worse.

From what some of the police guys on here have said, whether you are likely to get pulled is probably more dependent on whether you are driving like a **** in the first place, and whether you pass the "attitude test" if you do get stopped.

But it is illegal so you ae gambling if you use it

Fine is £60 - I've not heard of anyone getting points too - at least for a first offence. But I'm sure they would find a way if you deserved some!