Tank Fills

fen_l&k

I've done a search of the forums and, as a newbie, I'm sorry if this has been covered before, but has anyone with an Octavia TDi actually managed to *fill* the tank with diesel.

Try as I might, I can't get beyond an indicated 7/8ths of a tank. I've come to the conclusion that either my fuel gauge is inaccurate, or that the foam generated when filling stops the tank being brimmed.

Anyone succeeded where I have failed?

Cheers,

Howard

• Administrators

Well from my Xantia TD days, I used to use the cap to pad the handle. It was *just* enough to make the diesel trickle out. Then I got bored and stopped doing 50 mile commutes dodging radars (doh sun reflects of your vans windows when it's sunny) and went to petrol.

So I would assume you could get very very close to it given a really really slow feed. But for the 2/5litres I lost, I gave up...Burnt most of what I save when I booted it down the slip roads :D

However 7/8ths is quite a bit out, the xantia needle was always near the top regardless. How far out is the estimated remaining mileage + how much you can get in? Denis will be along to work all this out for me soon :)

ps Welcome to Briskoda.

Colin,

The most the trip computer has indicated as remaining mileage after a fill was 610 miles, along with about a 57mpg average. My trusty calculator says this equates to 10.7 gallons, and I thought the Octy's tank was larger than that (the manual's in the car and I can't be bothered to look at this time of night).

It's not that the capacity bothers me, as I have to fill up every 3rd day anyway, just I've never had a car that I couldn't brim, including a diesel Fiesta some years ago.

Little things.... ;)

Howard

I have exactly the same problem with my vRS.

The fuel computer shows a range of 0 miles, the gauge shows empty, but the most I can get in is 50 litres.

I have even checked underneath to check for Tank Damage.

(Thats damage TO the Tank, not BY one !!)

Graham

OK, here we go...

Fill it up as normal. Once it clicks off, use the nozzle to depress the little knob on the left hand side of the filler entry. Get it right and you will here air escaping from the tank. Have a try, I managed to get 57.75 litres in mine (well it did say I had 10 miles left 'til empty!) :D

Denis will be along to work all this out for me soon
Damn! Beaten by TaviaRS. Does the man have a job apart from moderating elsewhere on Briskoda? grumpy.gif

PS Diesel owners should be aware that the advice in the previous thread came from a petrol sniffer. Remember to wear waders and elbow length rubber gloves if you try it with diesel. :D

How far has anyone let the "miles until you run out of fuel" run down on the computer? I let it run down to 10 miles once, but that was because I was on the M5 heading to Exeter, and I didn't want to stop at a service station where fuel is more dosh! I'm not convinced that if it reads zero, that the car will suddenly stop. has Skoda allowed a margin of error on the fuel / range function?

Damn good question. If I knew I could leave it to run down to zero without any worries about running out of diesel, I'd be a happy man as I'd be visiting the local garage a bit less often. :)

Thanks for the advice Denis, I'll take my wet suit. :D

The bravest I have been is an indicated 30 miles, which for an oil burner is less fuel than the petrol equivalent. However, dependent on how old the car is, you may end up in the dross at the bottom of the tank, so I tend to avoid dropping that low wherever possible.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Howard

The MFA (hmmm.......this is a VW name...can't remember if it's the same for the Octy - trip computer) has a function which tells you how miles you can do with what's left in your tank.

Comes before the average MPG reading (depedning on which way you cycle through).

Cheers.

Adrian.

p.s Nick I don't think pre-face lift models have this; don't belive my W Reg SLX had it. Sorry.

Jason - I've always thought that when you get to the trip-computer showing 40 miles left you were practically on reserve (the petrol warning light & 'beeper' gets triggered at that point on mine).

Lowest mine has been is about 20, although if it reads less than 70 when I set out i'll usually head straight for the garage ... nothing worse than what Howard said - suck up all the crap from the bottom of the tank and find out what it does to the pipes/engine! Fortunately more a concern on older cars...

Originally posted by SkodiRS in this post

p.s Nick I don't think pre-face lift models have this; don't belive my W Reg SLX had it. Sorry.

Yeah I know - hence the "bah!" :(

Had it on my last but one Mondeo - think my record was about -17 (yes minus 17) miles to go :D

On my current SLX I know I have about 55 miles to go when the buzzer sounds - and yes, I have run out once.... :rolleyes:

I know from the fuel consumption log which I keep that the trip computer has consistently given better mpg figures than those actually achieved. The current figures for my car after 3200+ miles are: Trip computer - 32.7mpg; logged - 31.00mpg. I wouldn't trust the range reading any more than I trust the speedo to give an accurate reading. Perhaps its a throwback to my flying days, but I always reckon that its more useful to have fuel in my car's tank than in a garage's - even if I have to pay to transport it around. In a similar vein - since some of today's posts have a military theme and this forum is moderated by a man in khaki (acronym = MIK) - the most useless runway is that which is behind you since you can't use it to stop or to take-off. :D

I believe that running out of diesel is a bit of a nightmare compared to a petrol as its not just a case of filling it back up again. I think some bleeding through, or something is needed too :(

I have only ever run of petrol on the ride-on lawn mower I use. And I was about 1/4 mile from the house and had to walk back to fetch a bottle of petrol to get me back to the house for a proper fill-up... grrr :mad:

Mental note to self* - Don't try and run petrol down to zero. I reckon Stimps is right in that the buzzer goes off when you REALLY need some fuel. That could be why when my MFA was reading 20 miles to go, the needle was being bent by the stopper at the end of the warning red marking on the guage. Oops :D

I nearly always go down to 0 miles remaining on the mulitfunction computer thingy. I think it says this when your reach the reserve amount of fuel left. Generally in my RS that is about 8 litres (1.76 gallons) which at 33mpg is around 54 miles - so I definitely re-fuel before then!

(well i hope the calculations are right)

:drive1:

Cheers all...

I used to (as in previous cars) drive until it was in the red, but with the vRS I just top up in the weekend (either weekly or bi-weekly). Probably cos I haven't found (or tried to find) the limits of the car yet :)

Q.

I generally fill up when the needle gets into the "eighth" before the red, generally when it's

hanging on the red. I've never taken my Octavia below 20 miles left, as I find the reading varies

during a drive and get a little perturbed. Also, I'm going to use more fuel at some point, so I might

as well fill up and use it rather than run out! ;)

However, I've managed to run a Fabia 1.4 for about 8 miles at the bottom of the red, but

being a Classic it didn't have the trip computer... :(

Rob.

I recommend a litlle fuel light bingo. It keeps the journeys interesting!

Why stand at the pump more than you need to? Especially in winter. But then the long lonely cold trudges when the house wins may put you off a little light bingo...

The most annoying thing I have is when my mate's in the car. He'll pull up the handbrake slightly whilst I'm driving and it makes the same BEEEEEP - and scares the **** out of me because I know I have plenty of fuel - *******! Thats what mates are for eh? :D

3 is the lowest I have seen, strabnge thing is that the gauge showed just under a 1/4 tank. Filled it up and it said I could do 92 miles before it was empty! :(

The Ring really is a wonderful place! :D

Is there some way of making the standard Skoda Symphony unit go as loud as the low fuel warning beep? I've read somewhere that Skoda save the best speakers (Infinity, I think) for the beep.

Scares the thingies off me everytime:D

Ive nearly always have 0 miles range left before i go to the petrol station , but thats only if im in town. If I was away somewhere id fill up at the 1st station i saw after the fuel light illuminated. If you leave the MFA on range , and it says 10 , for instance , then boot the car , it drops to 0 pretty sharpish!