Modifying the Air Scoop on a vRS...

Yep i mean the Seat parts. I dont know how but ive ordered them from my nearest Seat dealer and they told me they would be here on Saturday :confused:

Dang, well I hope you get them on saturday, I was qouted 3 weeks I ordered my on friday so I have ages to wait yet! Useless southern dealerships! :D

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one Josh, this seems to be a fantastic cheap mod that possibly even I could fix to my car ;) Shall definately be looking in to this in the next few days / weeks!

Quick question though people... will this invalidate the warranty? If so when going to dealer for service etc isn't it possible to switch back to the original jazz on the car?

Hicksy :D

I called my local SEAT dealer today and they advised that it'll take 5-7 days as it's on back order.

I wouldn't have thought your dealer would notice come service time... They're all VAG parts at the end of the day.

However if you had a REALLY mod-unfriendly dealer, they could be funny, so keep the original bits and spend 5 minutes swapping them over before taking your car in.

I can't wait to fit my bits... I just wish they'd have arrived before the weekend! I hate waiting for stuff.

I've got these parts on back order, some bits from Maplins and I've been waiting for my Palm Keyboard and Serial Hotsync cable for ages too. Grrrr.

Nice one Josh' date=' this seems to be a fantastic cheap mod that possibly even I could fix to my car ;) Shall definately be looking in to this in the next few days / weeks!

Quick question though people... will this invalidate the warranty? If so when going to dealer for service etc isn't it possible to switch back to the original jazz on the car?

Hicksy :D[/quote']

i very much doubt it, all it does is allow more air into the engine. It is not anything that affects the warrenty at all (neither does a performance panel filter).

This may be a silly question, but if you only increase the diameter of the pipe from the grille to the air filter box, surely the constriction in the box and the smaller diameter pipework from the box to the turdo/manifold will cancel out any effect won't it?

SEAT Sport obviously thought it necessary to include this larger diameter pipe on their PD160...

Note that the pipe is the same as the Fabia vRS on the Ibiza PD130...

The air box and pipe to the turbo are the same as the vRS on the PD160 iirc.

Neo_VR advised that his car pulls a lot stronger after fitting. That's all I need to make me want to fit mine!!

Look at it this way, the diameter of the airbox - turbo is fookin huge.. even IHI 20vts dont have problems with it.. but if seat felt the need to upgrade the inlet to the airbox for a 160 engine then it must (and does) benifit a 190 bhp engine :thumbup: may see about doing some scientific testing @ jbs on the 24th - will you be there josh?

Hi

I was interested in this mod and I am looking forward to seeing some dyno evidence of it. I have a question though, I have a completely bog stock VRS and was thinking of a Green Filter and this mod, will I see any gains at all? Or is it just for chipped cars?

Thanks

Heath :D

If there is more air getting into the engine, then the ECU should adapt and inject more fuel. However, it depends whether the bottleneck is the intake or the air box :) I'd imagine you will see an improvment on a stock car......

Chris

Just through reading this thread I think we will receive a noticeable gain with these cheap mods on a standard vRS, I hope so anyway, ordering mine soon!

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will say for sure though :D

you will see gains as it will be getting more air in think of it like a straw you breath through a straw and it takes time for you to fully breath in you can feel yourself sucking the air through the straw and it takes a second or 2 to take a lung full, but if your sucking through a drain pipe you can get a lung full very easily with no resistance because the pipe can flow more air at any given time. this is the same with the intake pipe the bigger it is the better aslong as the pipe can flow the maximum volume of air the turbo requires at any single point if it cant you loose power as it cant get enough air in. obviously the best way would be to jusy have the turbo intake straight to the atmos but then small animals and children would be sucked in and damage the turbo so unfortunatly you need restrictive pipework and an airbox :(

I understand the concept of more air good, less air bad. I was just interested if anyone knew that the standard ECU would compensate enough fuel for the extra air, as we all know loads of air and no fuel doesn't do anything!!!!!

Is the standard ECU capable of allowing for the extra flow of air or is it set with an in built maximum fuel? These questions and many more keep going around my head. If I can have a definitve yes it'll get you some more power, say 5bhp and more torque then I'll be beating a path to the Seat garage ASAP.Thanks :D

it will compensate as much as it can but remap would obviously be much better. more noticeable would be faster spool up as its not sucking as hard any more bhp/torque who knows but worthwhile id say certainly.

and jon cheeky freck there is the odd , and . in there for good measure lol. i re wrote half of it and forgot to do all the punctuation again sorry lol.

it will compensate as much as it can but remap would obviously be much better. more noticeable would be faster spool up as its not sucking as hard any more bhp/torque who knows but worthwhile id say certainly.

Also with more air, the car can potentially run less sooty :D

Chris