ColinD

• Administrators

Škoda Yeti goes on sale in the UK

On sale from 17 September

A true crossover, available in front-wheel or four-wheel drive

Prices start from £13,725

Monthly rates from £189 through Škoda Finance

Five stars in Euro NCAP

The new Škoda Yeti will go on sale on Thursday 17 September at Škoda retailers across the UK. Starting at just £13,725, Yeti is the newest addition to the growing range of Škoda vehicles.

Combining all the rugged strengths of a traditional 4x4 with the practicality and running costs of a hatchback, Yeti is a true crossover vehicle. It is available in front-wheel or four-wheel drive, in a choice of five diesel or petrol engines and four trim levels.

Equipment levels are high across the range with electric front windows and CD player, air conditioning, six airbags and Škoda’s hugely practical Varioflex seating standard on all models.

Yeti also features a number of exciting technologies designed to make life on board Yeti even more rewarding. These include park assist, an electrically opening panoramic sunroof, an off-road button and touch screen displays that incorporate Bluetooth, all available as options.

The four-wheel drive versions are underpinned by fourth-generation Haldex clutch that directs torque to the wheels that need it most, ensuring grip in even the poorest conditions.

Yeti received five stars in recent EuroNCAP testing, with its result hailed as one of the best vehicles tested so far. “Škoda has shown that it provides an equal degree of protection for passengers of all sizes, sitting in various positions (in all seats),” says the Euro NCAP assessment report.

Škoda Finance is offering Yeti for monthly rates as low as £189 through Solutions, the personal contract plan from Skoda Finance.

All in all, Yeti is another great car from Škoda, the manufacturer of happy drivers.

I presume this is from a Skoda press release - but Skoda still haven't published the Yeti brochure, or the option prices, or updated their website!

Chris

Seems to be plenty of info HERE :confused:

This has been available for months and does not provide any detailed information about the car. There is far more on the Skoda Worldwide site, but that does not include UK option availability or prices.

It is also worth pointing out that the Skoda Octavia has been available with the 1.6TDI engine for months, but cannot be configured on the Skoda UK website which has not been updated to include any information about this model.

In short, Skoda have put a lot of time and energy into pre-launch info about the Skoda - including a useful test ride which I took - but seemed to have forgotten that many would-be punters use the internet to gather info about their cars!

Chris

Hasn't anyone taken any notice of TODAY's date?

Today (date this was posted) is Tuesday September 15th, the Yeti's official launch day is Thursday 17 September, so two days away.

It takes a matter of minutes to update a website. So stop getting excited...

I went on a test ride weeks ago, and the dealer was hoping to get brochures in a few days. I also have an invite to the pre-launch parties on the 16th, but have no confidence that they will be able to provide them then either.

Still no news on when they will offer DAB radios (remember FM and AM will be pretty useless in a few years time) or confirmation of the estimated option prices.

Chris

The buyacar website has a configurator available for the Yeti.

Yes, the car isn't available until the 17th, however, it has been available for order since August so there is really no excuse for SUK to have not updated their website.

Got an invite yesterday in the shape of a foot from one of my local dealers plus another 'OS' map.

As with other comments, been disappointed by the lack of detailed information from SUK.

As for looking at configuration info from sites like drive the deal etc. they appear to (all be it slightly) differ from information provided by a dealer particularly in regard to hill hold.

Also a dealer has informed me (after speaking to SUK) that the off-road function is standard on all UK 4x4. Yet all the reports from the Scottish test state it's an option on S & SE, one article even stated the cost at £80 but no option list dealer or otherwise I have seen has that down.

Considering the international interest over this new venture for Skoda, SUK have been very secretive; one wonders if they recruit from MI5.

Edited by The Plumber
missed a bit

You can order now and test drive on Thursday, but still no Yeti UK brochure or definite options!

Why have Skoda spent a fortune on pre-publicity without getting the basics right?

You can order now and test drive on Thursday, but still no Yeti UK brochure or definite options!

Why have Skoda spent a fortune on pre-publicity without getting the basics right?

+1

I've been told I can go for a test drive but that the dealer has no brochures yet. Nothing in the post even thought I signed up to the website ages ago. Not very good.

Hi,

This is my first post here. I signed up because I am very interested in the Yeti as my next car and as pointed out in this thread information is sparse, Skoda UK's laid back effort for this launch is making me nervous! its like they don't expect anyone would be interested and they won't sell any! - I think they could be wrong. Considering I handed them my email on a plate (well on their website really) as a potential customer and I have not had a peep out of them!

I have been invited to my local dealers launch and they have the exact model I want so I am looking forward to that. I also got to poke around one on the roadshow.

So why a Yeti? well I need a 'work' car. I am out and about the country every day come rain or shine. I need to carry a fair bit of gear with easy access. comfort and refinement will be crucial - all praised in reviews. I want 4 wheel drive for icy, snowy days or diverting around motorway accidents by sat nav'ing down flooded back country lanes.

No disrespect to Skoda's in their own right but it seems to me with the Yeti you are getting the latest Mk6 Golf (chassis, engine, interior to a fair degree) but with 4 wheel drive, more practical body, bigger boot and better value. Why would anyone want a Golf now? its a no brainer.

My main issue would be the boot - but as its usually just me (and my boxes) you can easily slide the rear seats forward and you have a 500 litre boot - bigger than a Merc C Class.

I think its a bit stupid that the 170bhp diesel is only available in Elegance, whats the point of that? I would certainly be getting a Bluefin or an ST3 to remap an SE version.

I am having problems working out the spec, the Skoda site list ESP as being only on the Elegance but elsewhere I have seen it stated that all 4x4 models will have ESP (it is part of the 4x4 system) and that the Elegance in fact has the super duper enhanced version in addition.

I like the look of the touch screen Radio CD player with built in bluetooth phone functions. Other attractions are its 'car park friendly' compact dimensions and proper bump strips along the sides.

So the competition is on, I currently have a Honda and there is a heavily revised CRV coming out in January I could hang on that, its going to be a good car and a safe bet - will the Yeti score an early victory?

WELCOME to Briskoda :) hope you stick around a while to see what a friendly bunch we are. ;)

Seems like a Yeti is the perfect car for you, if you are not considering an Octavia 4x4 or Scout and certainly a more 'rugged' looking vehicle than a Honda CRV; I actually believe there are styling similarities in Yeti to the first CRV.

Just to comment on one of your points, which is the model line up and choice of engines/trim etc.

IMHO a manufacturer has a difficult job to decide what engine/trim combinations to offer on a new model, particularly a brand new one. Skoda have clearly pitched Yeti at the 'premium' end with the big engine/high spec loading to the line up. However, I wouldn't mind betting that, with six months worth of sales under their belts for the 2011 model line up, there may be some additional choice, and maybe a deletion or two.

WELCOME to Briskoda :) hope you stick around a while to see what a friendly bunch we are. ;)

Seems like a Yeti is the perfect car for you, if you are not considering an Octavia 4x4 or Scout and certainly a more 'rugged' looking vehicle than a Honda CRV; I actually believe there are styling similarities in Yeti to the first CRV.

Just to comment on one of your points, which is the model line up and choice of engines/trim etc.

IMHO a manufacturer has a difficult job to decide what engine/trim combinations to offer on a new model, particularly a brand new one. Skoda have clearly pitched Yeti at the 'premium' end with the big engine/high spec loading to the line up. However, I wouldn't mind betting that, with six months worth of sales under their belts for the 2011 model line up, there may be some additional choice, and maybe a deletion or two.

Hi,

Thank you.

Nothing wrong with Octavia/Scout, but I have had 4 new 'conventional' cars in the last 10 years and find I now enjoy the more upright seating position in SUV's, my wifes Kia Sportage is a superbly relaxing distance coverer. Also a lot of places I go parking is very tight by the time I arrive so its a case of any gap going, my 4.75 metre saloon sometimes feels like supertanker! A 4.2 metre Yeti sounds good as the space is in the height rather than the footprint.

A lot of review focus has been on the Yeti's off road ability but I don't want to tow a cow off the side of Snowdon, the conditions I mention are well within a crossovers ability and the media need to understand that is what people want, look how many paramedics use Honda CRV's not Freelanders!

This forum seems to be the place, who knows - I may be around for a long time!

Hi,

Thank you.

Nothing wrong with Octavia/Scout, but I have had 4 new 'conventional' cars in the last 10 years and find I now enjoy the more upright seating position in SUV's, my wifes Kia Sportage is a superbly relaxing distance coverer. Also a lot of places I go parking is very tight by the time I arrive so its a case of any gap going, my 4.75 metre saloon sometimes feels like supertanker! A 4.2 metre Yeti sounds good as the space is in the height rather than the footprint.

A lot of review focus has been on the Yeti's off road ability but I don't want to tow a cow off the side of Snowdon, the conditions I mention are well within a crossovers ability and the media need to understand that is what people want, look how many paramedics use Honda CRV's not Freelanders!

This forum seems to be the place, who knows - I may be around for a long time!

I'm considering the Yeti CR170 4x4 as a replacement for my Octavia vRS TDI, next year, for similar reasons to yours but primarily because the 4x4 will cure the (lack of) traction that the Octy vRS suffers from when used in earnest. :D

Dealer phoned me today to say I could test drive a 140 Elegance as soon as a nail picked up this morning was removed from a tyre! Sounds like it does not have a full size spare!

Still no brochure or definite options though.

Incidentally, it just just struck me yesterday that the Yeti looks very similar side on to the Honda HRV.

Of course, the HRV only had three doors and was much less rugged and capable off road but imho it does look better from the front! Wish the Yeti had the fog-lights in the usual position, although I am gradually getting used to it!

Still no news on when they will offer DAB radios (remember FM and AM will be pretty useless in a few years time) or confirmation of the estimated option prices.

Chris

I know that VW UK offer a DAB tuner, so it is possible with the same VAG radio-tech that Skoda use. Don't know how commonplace DAB is across the EU yet, or whether it's just a "UK thing"?

DAB is slowly being done in Europe. An agreement was signed last year so that any DAB Radio bought in the UK, will (make that SHOULD!) work in France, Germany or Norway, with the possibility of Switzerland as well.

Here's a site that may prove useful: WorldDMB - Country Information for DAB, DAB+ and DMB

To be honest DAB in this country is patchy to say the least, it'll be quiet a long time yet before the FM/AM frequencies are shutdown.

The current government plan is that...

"The Digital Radio Upgrade will be implemented on a single date, which will be

announced at least two years in advance. On the determined date all services

carried on the national and local DAB multiplexes will cease broadcasting on

analogue.

At the same time, a new tier of ultra-local radio, consisting of small

local commercial stations and community stations, will occupy the vacated FM

spectrum. Radio services on MW will either upgrade to DAB or, if they are

within the ultra-local tier, to FM. This will deliver an upgrade from FM to DAB

and from MW to FM.

Within the Digital Radio Upgrade timetable is our intention

that the criteria should be met by the end of 2013."

If you don't want to lose FM & AM national radio you need to start making objections to your MPs now!!

Chris