Get it Ready For Winter

MoggyTech

Quite tempted to get an all over cover for the car. Normally we stick sheets on the front screen but I think a waterproof cover would be cool. Does anyone use one? Seen some go on ebay for £30 or so

If you value your paintwork don't bother. Even fairly expensive car covers will scratch the paint badly. They move in the wind and slowly but surely mark the paint badly. They also trap moisture and encourage rust.

• Like 1

If you value your paintwork don't bother. Even fairly expensive car covers will scratch the paint badly. They move in the wind and slowly but surely mark the paint badly. They also trap moisture and encourage rust.

sheet on the windscreen it is :thumbup:

Does anybody change their wheels in the winter on their VRS? what do they handle like in snow?

Snow? What's that then? Never see it on the south coast!

Seriously though, great info on this thread. Thx for all the advice, some of which I'd never have thought of :o

One also worth mentioning is leaving satnavs, laptops or anything with a TFT/LCD type screen in the car overnight - if anyone does of course!

These really don't like the colder temperatures, and in the case of TomToms and the like you'll see that they take a lot longer to come on and display anything, as it'll take them longer to get upto operating temperature.

Steve

As an extra bit - still using the mop up cloth (Spongex) - sits on the dash - very seldom gets hard - so it's mopping up moisture in the car . But notice that it takes the heater etc little effort to keep the windows clear . And I reckon that my filters are way overdue for changing . So at about £1.99 for four - in winter you can keep one or more on a radiator in the house and one in the car - and have a Furby free from steamed up windows .

To add to the windscreen wash- find a bottle of the cheapest washing up liquid out ( Asda do one for a few pence ) - and add a liberal dose to the wash bottle .Being cheap ,means it don't foam much , but it does get rid of the grease/oil etc , left on the roads by our bus services . I use it neat on my windscreen every so often ,turn on the wipers to work up a lather and then hose it off - result a squeaky clean windscreen .

On the inside - every so often Mrs V attacks the windows with hot soapy water ,then something like a supermart window cleaner .

Old dad used to swear blind by vinegar /water washed off by a copy of yer favorite tabloid .

So there you have it - windscreen cleaning tips through the years .

• Like 1

Not really a before winter thing, but AFTER winter, change your oil. All those cold starts and short trips mean that the oil will be full of moisture and other crap, so it's a good time to change it.

So 10.5 volts is bad? My tech highlighted it at its last service (~8 months ago) but it still hasn't missed a beat and it's now into its 6th year!

The battery on the omega sat at 10.5v, use to take some spinning over if it had been sat a while. Constant use it was fine though.

I wouldn't chance it though, i wouldn't like the battery to pack in whilst leaving the works carpark! :rofl:

Depends very much on tyre choice. Handling in snow is scary with all that torque at hand and such wide tyres, Quite a few (and you know who you are :rofl:) kerbed their cars last year.

I had a remap and very little tread at the beginning of this years snow storms, but no kerbed wheels though :)

I did end up sidewards between the gateposts leading up into the carpark at work though :)

Obvious one really to follow on from that, but so many people seem to forget it: When you're scraping the frost/snow from your windows, don't forget to give all the lights a going over too!

and dont forget to clear snow from the bonnet as well

no point in clearing the windscreen if the snow is going to blow off the bonnet when you are driving :D

• 3 weeks later...

That reminds me I need new wiper blades - Great thread :thumbup:

Another tip...when its freezing and there is frost on the windscreen DONT pour very hot water from the kettle as the windscreen will go - very expensive mistake when I was in my first year of driving lol

That reminds me I need new wiper blades - Great thread :thumbup:

Another tip...when its freezing and there is frost on the windscreen DONT pour very hot water from the kettle as the windscreen will go - very expensive mistake when I was in my first year of driving lol

Dont use hot water at all, as it freezes quicker than cold.

Yep, I've used warm water before, but as said - it's only really useful when the temperature's recovered and it's not still below zero, otherwise you're back to square one very quickly :rofl:

I just hate using de-icing spray, so if I know it's going to be really cold I'll throw a sheet over the front window, or some newspaper.

Steve

• 1 month later...

Yep, I've used warm water before, but as said - it's only really useful when the temperature's recovered and it's not still below zero, otherwise you're back to square one very quickly :rofl:

I just hate using de-icing spray, so if I know it's going to be really cold I'll throw a sheet over the front window, or some newspaper.

Steve

Must be one lucky guy - but in over forty fears driving ,I've used really hot ( from tap and kettle) ,as it melts ice and excess evaporates , but windscreen changes ( and grabs large wooden log ) from hot water -nil .I usually put hot water in a container and throw it on with a pint jug .

When it gets very cold, I just fill a gardening watering can with warm water. As It is a fairly large volume it does not tend to refreeze. It does all the windows easily not just the front.

You have to beware of cracks and stone chips in the windshield, because the temp raise may make these worse!

• 3 weeks later...

You have to beware of cracks and stone chips in the windshield, because the temp raise may make these worse!

As saidmany times -I use a two pint JUG -filled from the hot tap - stream a small stream down the windscreen - it melts the ice and evapaorates ,Repeat on sidewindows /wing mirrors. Job done If you use too much on windscreen ,you risk getting condensation on inside of windscreen -which can freeze.Tested on over many cars in over 40 years -it works (but -try at your own risk)

I just use water from the cold tap to reduce the risk of cracking the screen. If it comes out the tap, it's warmer than the stuff on the car. You may need more of it to melt the ice as the temperature difference is not so great as water from a hot tap but it does work. Whatever you do, don't put the kettle on and use that!

• 8 months later...

Title say sit all really...

Battery, should be 12.5 volts minimum after 2 hrs of non use. If it's less than that, consider a new battery. Diesel batteries get clobbered, and with PAS alone capable of taking 60 AMPS a good battery is essential.

Screen Wash. Use plenty of screenwash additive to prevent freezing of washer fluid. Too little and you risk blowing pipes off the washer pump or tailgate fittings.

Wipers. Check blades are in good condition. Don't operate wipers if frozen to the screen. If you do F15 will most likely blow.

Tyres. 3mm minimum tread. 1.6mm is the legal limit, but you really need 3mm or more for winter use. Check the spare wheel condition and pressure, Nothing worse than getting a puncture, only to discover the spare is flat.

Aircon. Use it now and again during winter to prevent system seals drying out and leaking due to lack of use.

Carry a bag of rags to clean lights between washes.

Edit: Have anti freeze protection level checked. 50/50 G12 works nicely

forgot one -

sell Bl**dy Moronic in Winter read wheel drive car!

• 1 year later...

You can't rely on battery voltage to tell you if it's bad or not unless it's totally knackered. You need to test the voltage when under load. I have seen batteries read 12.78 and still wouldn't start a car.

• 2 months later...

As saidmany times -I use a two pint JUG -filled from the hot tap - stream a small stream down the windscreen - it melts the ice and evapaorates ,Repeat on sidewindows /wing mirrors. Job done If you use too much on windscreen ,you risk getting condensation on inside of windscreen -which can freeze.Tested on over many cars in over 40 years -it works (but -try at your own risk)

I totally agree with VWD here but what I also do is to use a 4 litre jug of very warm tap water mixed with a very little cool (so nowhere near boiling)all over front side and rear windows and then put my front and rear wipers on immediately to remove all water before it re-freezes.

Those with headlamp washers also need to ensure that they pour hot water over the washers in the front bumper to unfreeze those otherwise they could snap off the front cover as the device pushes out from the bumper and that'll cost you dearly to replace. Don't ever forget these!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As an extra bit - still using the mop up cloth (Spongex) - sits on the dash - very seldom gets hard - so it's mopping up moisture in the car . But notice that it takes the heater etc little effort to keep the windows clear . And I reckon that my filters are way overdue for changing . So at about �1.99 for four - in winter you can keep one or more on a radiator in the house and one in the car - and have a Furby free from steamed up windows .

To add to the windscreen wash- find a bottle of the cheapest washing up liquid out ( Asda do one for a few pence ) - and add a liberal dose to the wash bottle .Being cheap ,means it don't foam much , but it does get rid of the grease/oil etc , left on the roads by our bus services . I use it neat on my windscreen every so often ,turn on the wipers to work up a lather and then hose it off - result a squeaky clean windscreen .

On the inside - every so often Mrs V attacks the windows with hot soapy water ,then something like a supermart window cleaner .

Old dad used to swear blind by vinegar /water washed off by a copy of yer favorite tabloid .

So there you have it - windscreen cleaning tips through the years .

Keep that stuff off your paint work though! washing up liquid is v bad for paint-work.

• 1 month later...