Cheese

Makefish

I need some ideas for a 'Come Dine With Me' type dinner party we are going to on Saturday and it's our turn to do the 'Cheese' course and was wondering if you have any weird or wonderful suggestions that we could add to the platter i.e. what's your favourites etc?

Fish pie made with mash, peas, cod, and cheese on the top. Im no cook, though my parents do this all the time and its nice! Certainly welcome after a full days work!

Not quite what I had in mind, but thanks for that :rolleyes:;) .................. not looking 'what' to do with cheese, but what types/flavours etc. we can put on a cheese board :o

A nice strong Canadian cheddar is a must, stilton of some description, roule (soft garlic cheese), maybe an Innkeepers choice and something with some fruit in it. Morrissons deli do a lovely white stilton with amaretto and apricot which is lush.

what about a bit of Wensleydale, you can get it with lots of different added "bits", like cranberry or black pepper.

Piece of nice runny Brie takes a bit of beating too.

How about a tube of Primula Squeezy Cheese, or some of those cheese slices that look like they have been injected into the packet?

Seriously though, I am a fan of Port Salut, love that cheese, take some of that!

Have you got a local Deli Steve?

If you have a good one, they will let you have a nibble on various cheeses and maybe even make some recommendations for you.

I love a good stilton and I also love a nice blue cheese.

How about this place?

http://www.qype.co.uk/place/uk-2298866-le-fromage-southsea/photos/236102

Stilton is one of the best cheeses ever (go for stilton from either Colston Bassett or Cropwell Bishop ;))

Wensleydale also very good (blue wensleydale is very good also)

If you're doing grated cheese, go for Five Counties - it's 5 different cheeses in one, and they're all different colours, so when you grate it, it looks ace :)

Personally I can't stand cheese with bits in. Cheese is cheese - if you want bits that's what pickles and chutneys are for!

Maybe you could theme the cheeses on the other courses (if you know what these are), ie if the rest is italian food then go for italian cheeses etc... (but you want to hope that it is british food because we make the best cheese!)

Personally I can't stand cheese with bits in. Cheese is cheese - if you want bits that's what pickles and chutneys are for!

Maybe you could theme the cheeses on the other courses (if you know what these are), ie if the rest is italian food then go for italian cheeses etc... (but you want to hope that it is british food because we make the best cheese!)

Yup, and when mouldy looking, it's time for the bin.

If you mean the chutney is mouldy looking then yes time for the bin. If you mean the cheese is mouldy looking, then just cut off the mould and carry on regardless!

Mr Fish today is your lucky day. On Saturday there is the Apple Fair at West Dean. One of the stalls is Say Cheese @ Lewes. They will have a very good selection to fit your requirements and you can taste.

You could either wait for a call from me to confirm they are there (off there after RR day) or just come with me anyway.

Always worth a look are the Snowdonia Cheese Company products.

If you are in the area then the Newlyn Farm Shop @ Hook is definitely worth a look.;)

Steve..have you got a Waitrose close ish to you? go to the deli counter and ask for a cheeseboard to be made up....they will suggest various cheeses (which you can try :D) that will make up a cheeseboard with a varied spread of tastes and textures and even suggest various accompiaments to go with them....it saves an awful lot of time hunting down things....some of my favourites are cave aged gruyere, a very good Cheddar, wenslydale, some stilton maybe and as already said some sheeps cheese (I'm not a fan of goats cheese) they normally say to have a maximum of five cheeses ....give it a try.... last one we had was fantastic :thumbup:

for something different try Berthaut's Epoisses a very runny cheese but it tastes good.

Have a look at the cheese on the site ...just select dairy from the top menu and cheese from the side menu ...92 of them!

https://www.waitrosedeliver.com/wdeliver/servlet/JSPs/shop/shopping_fs.jsp?siteCode=WD

Edited by Octygone