VRS spare keys? did you get one?

D4UJD

hiya.

had a search for this but nothing has come up.

picked up my vrs le today. pleased with the car, not as happy with the dealer tho.

when i asked where the spare key was i was told "vrs's did not come with spare keys, if you want one you will need to go to parts and get one. they are about £40"

now i cant really believe a new car comes with only 1 key. my bmw mini came with 3 keys. even a padlock from a pund shop comes with 2 keys!

so basically did yours come with a spare key, want to get my facts straight before going all guns blazzing. thanks

i was told "vrs's did not come with spare keys, if you want one you will need to go to parts and get one. they are about £40"

PMSL more like £140(+)!

Yes it would of come with 2 keys (my Superb actually came with 4, 2 flip, 1 service & 1 plastic emergence key)

All ways worries me when there are keys missing when you buy a car, will the car go missing in a few weeks or months!!!

Simon

Quite, so i cleared all the missing keys with VCDS when we bought the MK5 Golf (and programmed a spare key at the same time)

Picked my new car up at the beggining of September, it came with two flip up keys with the remote control for the doors. Sounds like the dealer has lost the spare !.

I have just purchased an additional key, £39.00 inc vat, just for the key without the remote, plus there is a charge to have the car programmed to accept the key.

Hello D4UJD,

You should have been supplied with a second set of key/s, as its the norm in the vehicle industry.

The key fob/holder (I think) is in two parts ?, the key thread (metal bit) and the plastic casing holding a micro-chip and the remote controls buttons.

I must assume that if you had a VW/SEAT/SKODA plastic casing this could be programmed to suit your cars (radio-wave) frequencies.

As for the key thread to fit your steering column and drivers door, this could be purchased seperately ??

You could try and hammer the need/must-have a second set, from the dealer, maybe come to a compromise, go halves??

Also the scrappers yard could have an old key/plastic casing for you to adapt to your cars needs??

Good luck with what-ever you do.

Ian. 16/10/2009. :rolleyes::thumbup:

The car would have had two remote control keys when new. If the car is used the key(s) that you'll get with it will be the one(s) that the dealer purchased it with.

As it is a Fabia VRS, I presume that it is a used car that only came with one key. In that case the dealer is not really obligated to provide you with another one, if you had noticed it before purchase you could have stood a chance of getting them to provide one as a condition of sale. Your best bet is to see whether you can get the dealer to contribute to another key and programming. You can get a basic non remote key that can programmed to start the car for around £40, remote keys are more than twice that.

Edited by fordfan

Cost for a battery, blade (also on egay) and reprogram will probably be less than a none remote one!

Plus:

SKC retreival and a new transponder. (also make sure it is the correct remote for your car - open up your remote and make sure the remote No. and frequency are the same)

It's not quite as simple as Confused_Cheese makes it out to be, but it is possible to get a new key for less than £50.

The dealer is trying to have you off mate! All cars come with at least 2 keys - every Skoda I've bought so far from a main dealer (3) has had 2 keys. I'd be pushing for another one buddy - I'd be insulted that the dealer had treated me like a moron!

I'm technically using the spare key to my vRS :P as the previous owner licked the other one

Licked? As in touched it with his tongue?! Crazy! I'm using the spare key to mine as the white bits on it were whiter than the white bits on the other one. If that makes sense.

Licked? As in touched it with his tongue?! Crazy! I'm using the spare key to mine as the white bits on it were whiter than the white bits on the other one. If that makes sense.

This thread seems to be degenerating into a discussion about licking and white bits.:rofl:

I got mines second hand with one key from a stealer. Not that worried tho as above you can buy a new fob off the bay, you can find the freq by doing

I would say a realistic cost of £35 quid if you are not in a rush

Plus:

SKC retreival and a new transponder. (also make sure it is the correct remote for your car - open up your remote and make sure the remote No. and frequency are the same)

It's not quite as simple as Confused_Cheese makes it out to be, but it is possible to get a new key for less than £50.

I stand corrected, cheers mate :) Sorry if i mislead anyone

hiya.

when i asked where the spare key was i was told "vrs's did not come with spare keys, if you want one you will need to go to parts and get one. they are about £40"

So being blunt about this, he lied to you ! :thumbdwn:

Now tell him you want the plastic thing as well that has the bar code on it that enables you to get another made up if you lose both. Sorry if I am being too technical.

Where do you find this bar code, or do you have to specifically request one?

Now we are on the subject of keys, our 53 Fabia with the two button rounder key has one of the buttons not working (the door unlock) on one of the sets. Is this repairable or is it a new key needed? We have tried changing the battery but to no avail.