drove another vrs

newskoda

I drove my friend's vrs a couple of days ago and she drove mine. Not too much different between them. Both on an 05 plate and done 40k. Her's is silver's mines black. She's got a cruise control function and a lock/unlock passenger airbag box fitted in the glove box which tends to suggest previous owner had a child??

Her's smoked more than mine but she parks hers outside so it could have been condensation?

Other things I noticed were here brakes were better than mine which i thought was odd as i'd only changed front and rear discs +pads about 6-8 months ago. Whereas dont know when her's were renewed(if at all) as she only bought the car 2 months ago.

I also did get the brake fluid changed on mine lastyear.The front discs and pads are skoda parts...the rear was a reputable pattern part replacement(may have been quinton hazel but cant remember for sure)

is there anything else that cause brakes to not work as they should?

this is an ongoing debate on here... my vRS brakes were fine, but lots of people say theirs are not good enough... a friend of mine who has a vRS and is bothered by his crappy brakes, drove my vRS and said mine were a world better, but mine was just a standard setup... can't explain the difference to be honest,Maybe material used in manufacture, depending on replacement parts bought? if he drove the fiat he'd be through the windscreen! lol.....

my 53 vrs brakes have always been good to me until i drove SWMBO 54 reg vrs. hers are standard equipment like mine but have twice the feel and 10 times the stopping power. i guess its just one of those things.

this is an ongoing debate on here... my vRS brakes were fine, but lots of people say theirs are not good enough... a friend of mine who has a vRS and is bothered by his crappy brakes, drove my vRS and said mine were a world better, but mine was just a standard setup... can't explain the difference to be honest,Maybe material used in manufacture, depending on replacement parts bought? if he drove the fiat he'd be through the windscreen! lol.....

haha funny you mentioned a fiat...that was her previous car.

Mines an 04, Never had an issue with the brakes.. I had a 2001 petrol 16v before hand and that stopped better but I'm certain that's just the difference in weight and they "feel" the same..

I had an Insignia hire car recently and found those brakes really poor.. When I got my vRS back the brakes felt amazing... 312's are on my wish list though, but only for the added control.. nothing to do with feeling any safer as the only improvement in safety I can see by getting 312's is less chance of locking up as you get more friction at a set pressure than on the 288's (are they 288's?)

Was loads of pad left on the front of mine, failed mot on brake imbalance :( so had them replaced. Since doing so, brakes have been much sharper... even from first drive before they bedded in. Not sure if the ones on it before were oem, but they are now!

Noticed the last pair didn't wear pretty much at all in a year

Brakes as with tyres, Always buy the best you can afford! Cheap stuff is cheap for a reason!

I agree with Mike.. Always spend as much as you can afford on your brakes and tyres... They're the only thing keeping you on the road.... Literally...

Mrs Grr has a Fabia SDI, her brakes are as sharp as hell and I doubt there much in it when you compare it to my VRS weight wise. The main difference is that it has drum brakes on the rear unlike the 4 disc VRS setup. When I drive it I nearly launch myself out of the windscreen when I

stop for the first few times... I prefer the brakes on the VRS, they are much more progressive, on mine at least anyway. I have standard brakes having had pads and discs done 3 months ago with a brake fluid change I can honestly say they stop the car well but

you do have to give them a firm prod... The missus gives me the fright of my life every time she drives it... To her the brakes are crap.... She'd have me get the 312 conversion tomorrow if she knew about it.... Hmmmm? ;)

I agree with Mike.. Always spend as much as you can afford on your brakes and tyres... They're the only thing keeping you on the road.... Literally...

Mrs Grr has a Fabia SDI, her brakes are as sharp as hell and I doubt there much in it when you compare it to my VRS weight wise. The main difference is that it has drum brakes on the rear unlike the 4 disc VRS setup. When I drive it I nearly launch myself out of the windscreen when I

stop for the first few times... I prefer the brakes on the VRS, they are much more progressive, on mine at least anyway. I have standard brakes having had pads and discs done 3 months ago with a brake fluid change I can honestly say they stop the car well but

you do have to give them a firm prod... The missus gives me the fright of my life every time she drives it... To her the brakes are crap.... She'd have me get the 312 conversion tomorrow if she knew about it.... Hmmmm? ;)

Hello,

It seems to me having drums on the rear are more of an advantage/efficient asset, and not liable to the rusting rear discs, as on the VRS.

It would seem a viable option to change rear discs to drums, as mentioned.?? Hmmm!! you don't see many heavy transport lorries using the disc set-up, all due for stopping efficiency.??

Ian. 13/11/2009. :rolleyes::cool:

Hmmm!! you don't see many heavy transport lorries using the disc set-up, all due for stopping efficiency.??

Ian. 13/11/2009. :rolleyes::cool:

Um, yes you do. Used to work at Merc on the commercials, and the only thing with drums was under 7.5 ton... Everything heavier than that had discs all round...

I wasnt happy with my 288's, too prone to fade when making progress, and lacked pedal feel.

Never had fade with 312's and now have confidence when stamping on the middle pedal :thumbup:

It seems to me having drums on the rear are more of an advantage/efficient asset, and not liable to the rusting rear discs, as on the VRS. :

I should have mentioned this... but my rear discs are suffering from rusty edges

and are due for replacement.

With this taken care of I am expecting a slight improvement in braking performance

but not much to be honest.

:thumbup: