snow joke driving like a T**t in this weather

danroly

Rant on......has anyone noticed that some people don't seem to care when it snows, the roads are icy, the wind it bloweth and it s generally pretty dangerous to even go out.?................they still drive like utter T**ts! I have now done 3 journeys over the pennines and back on the M62 this week. anyone who has driven the route would know you need to take account of the conditions and adjust driving style. On top of this, anyone aware of news will know that 3 died this week due to the snow and bad conditions on the M62. But oh no..............each journey i have witnessed drivers behaving like idiots- agressive driving, too fast, right up the chuffs of other drivers when there is ice/snow covering lanes and then gesticulating when they pass. I know they get a fair bit of stick at times, but its the lorry drivers i have seen who seem to give other drivers the courtesy that is needed in these conditions.

The worst i saw today was a guy in a golf who passed me and drove right up the back of a guy who had just passed me. we were doing about 50mph, there was a blizzard, the outside lane was covered with snow and the inside lane was busy. the golf guy continued to drive 2 meters up the other cars ass and then started flashing. before he had a chance to pull into lane 1 the glof undertakes, flicking the v's cuts back in front and slams on causing the other guy to swereve. all this was westbound on the decsent toward Rochdale, a tricky section in the dry. To cap it the golf shot off and did the same to the next driver in front! Surely its worth taking it easy when its bad on the roads.....if you want to put your foot down, do it when its dry grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Rant over.

There does seem to be quite a few idiots with no regard to road conditions. I had a **** driving to fast given the conditions of the road on my way back from Ramsbottom this afternoon along Grane Rd (A6177).

................ the only thing is he willl prob take out some inocent family somewhere.

That's the problem. I'm not bothered what happens to the t0sser thats driving, it's the innocent families that it destroys.

I have witnessed this first hand. I was in hospital for a minor operation a few years ago and was in the next bed to a chap called Basil, he was 76. He had both his legs in plaster casts, cuts, grazes and a few broken ribs. After talking to him I found out he had been in a car accident which involved him in a head on collision with a VW Golf. Basically the young guy driving the VW was late for a round of golf and was speeding to get there on time. He overtook in very poor and icy conditions, thinking that he could make it past the car in front and drove head on into Basil's car. Basil's wife was driving and took the brunt of the collision....... She died at the scene of the accident........ The young guy only suffered cuts and bruises........ Basil had no other relatives or kids.

The young guy in the VW had not only ended the life of Basil's wife but had also taken away a 50 year marriage. Basil told me that he wished that he had killed him too...........

Sometimes there are no words.

That's the problem. I'm not bothered what happens to the t0sser thats driving, it's the innocent families that it destroys.

I have witnessed this first hand. I was in hospital for a minor operation a few years ago and was in the next bed to a chap called Basil, he was 76. He had both his legs in plaster casts, cuts, grazes and a few broken ribs. After talking to him I found out he had been in a car accident which involved him in a head on collision with a VW Golf. Basically the young guy driving the VW was late for a round of golf and was speeding to get there on time. He overtook in very poor and icy conditions, thinking that he could make it past the car in front and drove head on into Basil's car. Basil's wife was driving and took the brunt of the collision....... She died at the scene of the accident........ The young guy only suffered cuts and bruises........ Basil had no other relatives or kids.

The young guy in the VW had not only ended the life of Basil's wife but had also taken away a 50 year marriage. Basil told me that he wished that he had killed him too...........

Sometimes there are no words.

Thats horrible............like you said there aint a lot you can say to that except that my heart goes out to Basil and other victims of kn*b head drivers......why cant they just think before acting

• Administrators

Had to push a 911 S around in the snow the day before yesterday.

Funniest thing really, he'd made it about a mile onto a moorland road which was covered in snow. Then on a slight incline not 25 yards from a parking area decided to turn around.

After 5 minutes of watching him rock beach, rock, slide I had to help, only to find 2 people in the car... Eventually we got them going, only to watch him bury the throttle trying to get out of the parking area... I was more than half expecting to see it in a ditch. Road is ringlinglow road around Burbage north in the Peak district.

Conversely, Why is it that people drive at 15mph on a clear and gritted road at the first sign of snowfall?

Didn't think that happened up the road in bonnie Scotland Mike. Thought your lot were hardened to driving in this white powdery stuff!

Which only goes to prove, we need less speed cameras (or piggy banks as I call them) and a lot more traffic police. It's been years since I have driven on the M62, but the last time was in a blizzard, and the driving was generally very poor indeed. The result, some idiot crashed into a petrol tanker, and the M62 was shut for 6 hours. Took me 18 hours to drive from Livingston to Wakefield.

I seen a guy when the snow first started flying up peoples backsides flashing them to get out his way

Really annoys me how people can drive like that when yours cars going side to side in the ice and snow. Coming home today my car headed for the Kerb so many times and I was doing 20 down a 60 dual carriageway cos the road in both directions was virtually in passable. Giving plenty space infront and the guy behind me ages off my bumper too which I found considerate especially as I had the kids in the car

I just hate the snow for all these reasons.

Worst for me definately is the slow driver in mild mild snow. I had a range rover doing 15mph on the A158 and because it was so twisty I couldnt pass.

Personally yes the Golf drivers (not to stereotype) who sit bumper to bumper in poor weather conditions get on my nerves but the end of the day if they hit you its their claim not yours!

I had some twonk come right around a roundabout infront of me without indicating, I had no chance of stopping but would have had if he'd used some indicators. Then there's the guy in a diesel Octavia stuck in the pub car park wheelspinning away. Insailed

straight past with mega wide tyres on and many more bhps. Why do people find it so hard?

but the end of the day if they hit you its their claim not yours!

True but......

problem is as said before.....what if the plonkers hurt or kill someone. Insurance claims mean f**k all if you have lost limb or worse, a life or a loved one....i bet Basil above didnt give a stuff about insurance!

but the end of the day if they hit you its their claim not yours!

True but......

problem is as said before.....what if the plonkers hurt or kill someone. Insurance claims mean f**k all if you have lost limb or worse, a life or a loved one....i bet Basil above didnt give a stuff about insurance!

But then as thos lot would say -there's always the new laws .That'stypical of our newmasters -send them acharge after the event ,rather than provide the wherewithal and education to prevent it .

Road is ringlinglow road around Burbage north in the Peak district.

That road is bleak even in the height of summer :o

Bet he was from Totley, looking for a wine bar..................... :giggle: *

*Apologies to anyone from the western side of Sheffield not called Tarquin, Sebastian or similar. B)

i recon they should put a winter driving test in the driving test, Y CANT PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THAT YOU CAN START OFF IN ANY GEAR!!!!! NOT JUST 1ST!!!! tbh 2nd is good! o and PUTTING MORE POWER DOWN WONT GET YOU UNSTUCK!!!! NUMPTY! IT MAKES YOUR WHEELS SPIN!!!!!! I can manage on a motorbike in winter weather so why cant people in cars(yes my front tyre is a winter one and the rear tyre illeagal but still!)

Edited by lex2311

I was driving from Halstead, Essex tonight back to Cambridge in my Estelle 120L5....I thought I was driving fairly sedately on a fairly busy A road, about 45MPH....suddenly I hit an icy patch and I was all over the road. :o I honestly thought I'd end up in the ditch, luckily I regained control. Even more lucky is the fact that at that time no other cars were about. It certainly scared me and made me think! 45 MPH on an A road isn't what I'd call fast, even in a Skoda Estelle! :p

Had to push a 911 S around in the snow the day before yesterday.

Funniest thing really, he'd made it about a mile onto a moorland road which was covered in snow. Then on a slight incline not 25 yards from a parking area decided to turn around.

After 5 minutes of watching him rock beach, rock, slide I had to help, only to find 2 people in the car... Eventually we got them going, only to watch him bury the throttle trying to get out of the parking area... I was more than half expecting to see it in a ditch. Road is ringlinglow road around Burbage north in the Peak district.

What colour 911 was it Colin - sounds from the driving like someone who lives near me in Beauchief... :doh:

Edited by skomaz

Conversely, Why is it that people drive at 15mph on a clear and gritted road at the first sign of snowfall?

Arrggghh dont get me started with them, been stuck behind so many today its untrue, and then they give you horn and lights for overtaking them - This is on the A6, no sign of snow other than on the verge and people were doing 20mph along perfectly clear stretches!

*Apologies to anyone from the western side of Sheffield not called Tarquin, Sebastian or similar. B)

Glad you added that - not me then!.. :rofl:

Saw another ejit yesterday down our road in a black Saab estate - a driver who obviously thought he was invincible.

Our road is compacted snow and ice across the entire width and it didn't get above -2 yesterday but he still insisted on flying round the corner (just) and belting down the road far too fast with his wheels spinning... I was hoping he'd miss his driveway and hit the substantial stone wall alongside but he didn't. Fortunate really as once he'd parked he got a baby out of the back seat...

He WILL come a cropper but I just hope that the little-un isn't in the car at the time.

well ive just seen the funnyiest thing, we live on a hill that just has black ice on it at the mo, someone went down the hill halfway (abouts where my house is anyway) and parked (so put the handbrake on) and went to put something in our box at our gate, no sooner had he done this about 4/5 steps away from the car it began sliding down the hill, funnyest thing i ever seen! Guy chasing after his sliding car down the hill whats more if hed have parked just to the side of the road by our gate it woulda been fine because we gritted it :giggle: well spose it stops pizza leaflets i suppose.

I woulda tryed to help but its a long driveway and the study just has the perfect unobstructed view onto the road!!!:p :giggle: