Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) - this article may interest diesel users

Ray_Green

Part of the reason I went for the petrol 1.2 !

And the reason why Im looking at a 1.8TSI tomorrow morning!

My daily commute is 10 miles either way to work and dropping our youngest off and six of that ten miles is in town doing the traffic lights grand prix again and again. I dont have the faith in the Diesel DPF system to go for the 170 engine so if the test drive is succesful I'll be ordering a 1.8TSI instead.

Lee

At least with the Octy at least its now possible to remove the DPF and map out any faults that may occur, but it will cost about 1K to do this.

My dads Fabia greenline has a DPF, during the week its used for short runs and at the weekend its used to make several long distance runs by me. So far in the 2 months he has had it we have had no problem with the DPF at all. I guess my weekend runs are enough to keep it clean.

I am also relieved that my own 2.0PD does not have a DPF at all, it might smoke like a chimney every now and again but I have no DPF to concern me.

If people rtfm and heed the advice, it shouldn't be a problem. Didn't I read somewhere that the Govt are introducing an extra purchase tax on petrol cars soonish to encourage us to buy the good stuff instead of unleaded ?

To be fair I think dealers are not always forthcoming with this kind of info, so RTFM is all well and good, but you don't get the FM until post-delivery !

Newer engines are supposed to be less problematic (perhaps create finer particulates ?).

When my wife's Smex regens it's like holding your hand over the end of a hairdryer (I usually take it for a spin around the block to keep cool air flowing).

Horror stories of Nissan Xtrails regenning pushed us away from the Xtrail to the Smax.

Horror stories of Nissan Xtrails regenning pushed us away from the Xtrail to the Smax.

After seven years of ownership and 86,000 miles, I never had a problem with any particulate filter. I never even knew it could be a problem. Perhaps my X-Trail, being an 03 model never had one fitted!!!

I doubt an 03 had one.

My Mazda regens about every 200-250 miles. It makes the car quite noisy, and mpg HALVES, and it takes about 20 miles or so. On a tankful it easily knocks average mpg by 2-3mpg. :( Oh, and if you happen to turn the engine off while its regenerating then you can dilute your oil with diesel. Pants.

If people rtfm and heed the advice, it shouldn't be a problem. Didn't I read somewhere that the Govt are introducing an extra purchase tax on petrol cars soonish to encourage us to buy the good stuff instead of unleaded ?

Yeah, there's a showroom tax going on this year at some point which is based on the cars C02 emissions, and diesels tend to be lower.

BAAH Humbug........

DPF have been around for years. The technology has been developed and thousands of diesel vehicle have them with no problems.

It is true thet the newer systems without additives for burning off the carbon probvably are not suitable for a daily 3 mile commute, but then if your driving is like that, what are you doing with a Diesel anyway.

Horror stories have a habit, like politicians sexual out-of wedlock exploits, to get a lot of publicity.

The stuff that just works, you never hear about.

Get a life, find something else to worry aboput. DPF is not going to ruin the rest of your life.

Stepping off my soap box now.................

BAAH Humbug........

DPF have been around for years. The technology has been developed and thousands of diesel vehicle have them with no problems.

It is true thet the newer systems without additives for burning off the carbon probvably are not suitable for a daily 3 mile commute, but then if your driving is like that, what are you doing with a Diesel anyway.

Horror stories have a habit, like politicians sexual out-of wedlock exploits, to get a lot of publicity.

The stuff that just works, you never hear about.

Get a life, find something else to worry aboput. DPF is not going to ruin the rest of your life.

Stepping off my soap box now.................

I tend to agree.

Its amazing how many people go out and buy a diesel engine when they only do around 5k a year then wonder why the DPF light keeps coming on.

Poor advice from dealers and lack of basic research by the purchaser are all too often the cause.

Poor advice from dealers salesmen and lack of basic research by the purchaser are all too often the cause.

a domestic plumber i know has had wee diesel vans for years. time came for a new van and he went to his vauxhall dealer (of many years, who knew my buddies localised business) and sold him a super eco corsa van with DPF.

within a few months the engine died (serious engine malfunction due to DPF blockage) and every technician in the dealership wondered why on earth did the salesman peddle a vehicle that all knew was utterly useless for town work.

needless to say that was the end of a beautiful relationship between both parties and my bud has not long won a court case with all costs. misrepresentation of goods. the salesman had assured my bud that the van was ideal for his purposes...all to get the commission of another bonnet as his numbers were down that month

As an aside....all this terror talk of DPF and I haven't heard a peep from other VAG users that VAG DPF is dodgy.

I have an Octavia VRS 170PD with the DPF. Its two years old now - in the first year I had major problems- eventually new DPF at 20,000 miles and either the lease company or Skoda paid. New software update etc put on at the same time - no problems since and have now done 44,000 miles.The warning lights have come on twice in the last year after a Leeds to Bradford very slow commute - but easily cleared now I know what to do (a quick drive up and down the local dual carriageway for about 10 minutes).

If you look at the Octavia forum there were lots of problems like mine until Skoda updated the software and one of the sensors - not many problems reported in the last year though so I can only assume that like mine, they are all sorted out now.

You would assume that as the YETI 170 has the newer CR engine it will also have the better DPF software and sensors etc and so would assume you are likely to get less (or hopefully no) problems. It would not stop me getting a 170 CR YETI.

But, if you only do very short trips everyday and only do small mileage, its not worth it and you should get a petrol version as its a £1000 repair for the DPF. I wonder what will happen on the secondhand market when they have done 70 to 100,000 miles and the DPF needs replacing anyway as they dont last forever (Skoda try to claim they are a service part like any other filter!). I suspect the bypass or removal of the DPF which is also quoted at £1000 will be the option eveyone takes.

Re the DPF ..... I took a look at the Yeti Owners Guide - something to peruse whilst I wait for mine......

I thought this was interesting.... on Page 170

• The diesel particle filter achieves very high temperatures. Therefore do not

park at points where the hot filter comes into direct contact with dry grass or

other combustible materials - risk of fire!

With all the Snow about - not a problem to consider - but I wonder about off-roading in the Summer months??

Just a thought ...

I wonder how hot deg C? I do not think that diesel exhausts even with a turbo, achieve the same temperatures as do petrol exhausts . The manufacturers have to cover them selves, just in case.

They do when they're regenerating !

There have been problems on Smaxes with certain seals being melted - hence I tend to take it for a spin to keep plenty of fresh air circulating.

Re the DPF ..... I took a look at the Yeti Owners Guide - something to peruse whilst I wait for mine......

I thought this was interesting.... on Page 170

• The diesel particle filter achieves very high temperatures. Therefore do not

park at points where the hot filter comes into direct contact with dry grass or

other combustible materials - risk of fire!

With all the Snow about - not a problem to consider - but I wonder about off-roading in the Summer months??

Just a thought ...

So, don't park in the middle of the Serengeti in summer?

DPF catalysts start working between 450 and 500°C - hardly enough to burn off the lawn on the cricket pitch. They have probably learned from the Americans about product liability - like stating about the kitchen knife not to cut yourself.

They have probably learned from the Americans about product liability - like stating about the kitchen knife not to cut yourself.

Agree ... we have a sign over the hot tap at work, it states " Caution - Water may be Hot" ..... :o

Graham

I had a couple of small niggles with the DPF on my Octavia vRS TDI when about a year old, turned out to be the exhaust gas pressure sensor, but since then at which time I had the software upgrade it has been sweet as an angel; I've now covered 45,000. Mind you my commute is 25 miles each way including M'way and it always gets a decent blast of full throttle on a daily basis.

However; for anyone doing only short runs/low annual mileage I would seriously look elsewhere i.e. petrol.