Yeti Tyre and Rim Guide

The Plumber

Hi Everyone,

I think I've have read every post in this thread and all other threads on the subject of winter / off road tyres for my 170 Elegance 4x4. I'm the first to admit to being a techno-amateur just looking for an easy solution to my tyre problem. I just need off road (rather than winter - assuming there's a difference?) tyres for my work. I train gun dogs and spend October to January each year negotiating Salisbury Plain type conditions: mud, hills, rutted tank tracks and more mud. I can get by for the remainder of the year on the factory Dunlop 225/50/r17 94W.

Like many who have contributed to this thread, I set out to source off road tyres for my off road vehicle and was astonished to learn from Skoda UK that Skoda didn't supply such items. I received from Skoda UK exactly the same email reply as Pinkpanther received in post #94: the only authorised size of wheels / tyres for off road / winter use are 7J x 16 wheels with 205/55/r16 94H tyres. There are very few off road options in this size.

This directive from Skoda has left me even more bewildered! TP and others have provided much useful info in this thread in which I've read that 225/65s are OK to fit and more plentiful. But I don't want to go against a very clear directive from Skoda for fear of invalidating insurance and/or warranty.

Bottom line: I would dearly like a steer on what the best options are for off road tyres (not winter) in 205/55/r16 profile.

I'm going to ring Rainworth who supplied the car and see what they'll quote me for 4 wheels (I've seen their eBay offer but reckon I can squeeze a couple of quid more out of them) and then ask them for their off road tyre advice.

Here's hoping!

Apologies for my ignorance.

SS

I fitted my 215/60 R16 winter tyre in the space usually taken up by the smaller spare.

Here are some photos for your info. It is a very tight squeeze and the sides of the boot floor are not supported as they are about 25mm above the polystyrene boxes.

8622338213_f64a818ec5_b.jpg

8622338437_69947d8bf6_b.jpg

8622338649_8cd353b150_b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Stevieswops,

SUK are correct in suggesting 205/55 16 for winter tyres as they allow for fitting of snow chains.

For your requirements I would look to getting 215/60 16 as if you had a lower spec Yeti.

Good luck. Guy

Sent from my Xperia S using TapaTalk 2

Thanks Guy.

I have 2 questions: if I should look at getting 215/60, why not go for 225/60 or some other combination? is it because there is greater choice in 215/60? Next, SUK seemed to be saying that any size tyre other than 205/55 16 would jeopardise insurance and / or warranty in the event of mishap. That's what makes me reluctant to go against their directive.

Appreciate your input.

SS

Thanks Guy.

I have 2 questions: if I should look at getting 215/60, why not go for 225/60 or some other combination? is it because there is greater choice in 215/60? Next, SUK seemed to be saying that any size tyre other than 205/55 16 would jeopardise insurance and / or warranty in the event of mishap. That's what makes me reluctant to go against their directive.

Appreciate your input.

SS

Your insurance could well say that you are using tyres not of a size APPROVED by Skoda, and would therefore only pay-out to the third party in any claim. The only sure answer is to ask your insurance company and get their response in writing.

What I think you need by your comments are some 7Jx16 ET45 rims and Yokohama Geolander HTS or ATS tyres in 215/60 R16 size. The 205/55 R16 size is purely for winter tyres with snow chains and I'm unaware of off road tyres being available it that size.

Run my Yeti permanently on 215/60 R16 tyres fitted to 7Jx16 ET45 rims (winter & summer pattern), with no issues at all, mentioned to the insurers that the car was on 16" rims and they didn't seem interested and that's how it's stayed.

The225/60 you mention is more than likely to wide and again not a size with off road rubber being available.

Hope of help,

TP

Continued through the winter with the Yokohama A/T-S. No problems at all, even on the worst days this winter.

Plan was to only test the A/T-S tires on snow and ice, and then change to the Nokian Hakka7.

But I was so pleased with the Yokohamas, that I just continued driving on them.

Dimensions are 215/60R16. Rims 6,5J16ET45.

Before deciding on the A/T-S, I had a look into Tyretest.com to see what others had reported on this brand/pattern.

My A/T-S have now done nearly 10.000 km. Due to the deep tread depth and construction they may feel a bit soft on curvy roads at some speed.

Pattern is not as agressive as shown in brochures. Attached pictures shows the 215/60R16.

DSC03083.jpg

DSC02586.jpg

16. apr: Tread depth checked, fronts ~ 7mm, rears ~ 8mm. Not bad for 10.000km. They are 9,5mm new.

Edited by 175GDY
  • Like 1

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice. It'll be a call to the insurance company first thing on Monday followed swiftly by sourcing some 7Jx16 ET45 rims (Rainworth on ebay?) and then some 215/60 R16 Yokohamas. Phew!

But I still find it odd that Skoda, who make much of the 4x4 Yeti's off road capabilities in their advertising, seem reluctant / incapable of supplying as an option or even recommending off road tyres for their 4x4 vehicles. This was admitted to me verbally on the phone by a senior rep from SUK who said "we recognise this shortfall and we're working on it". We'll see....

Thanks again to all those who have helped - what a brilliant forum this is.

SS

Will reply in full later when on my pc

Guy

Didn't get near to my pc this afternoon, but TP's post covered what I was going to put.

Guy

Re replacement wheels, then it depends if you want steel or alloys, if the latter then there are 3 options if your staying with the manufacturers own parts;

Spectrum

Nevis

Moon

Had a quick look on fleebay and not a lot going, one damaged Nevis and new Moons at over £200 a corner or Spectrum at a more reasonable £155 a corner delivered.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-16-Spectrum-alloy-wheel-for-Yeti-Superb-2008-and-SuperbEstate-2010-/140687695106?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET&hash=item20c1a3dd02

Might be worth giving Rainworth a go to see if they can do you a deal, they might even be able to source the tyres :wonder:

Regards,

TP

• 2 weeks later...

Rainworth certainly came up trumps, in my view. Spoke to Johnathan in Parts and secured the following deal: a set of 7Jx16 steel rims with a set of Yokohama Geolanders a/ts 215/65 r16 98H fitted, balanced etc and delivered to my door for 460 pounds.

I think that's a good deal after doing lots of research. Mind you, I've come to expect good service and competitive prices from Rainworth. Can't recommend them highly enough.

SS

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this thread, I finally think I understand wheel sizes and know what I'd need to get if and when I want to get s.w.anky new alloys on my new car :)

Edited by wilkenstein

• 4 months later...

Some amount of info in this thread! Just swithering whether to go for the 215/60 16 or the 205/55 16. About £60 extra for the 215s, is it worth it?

Some more info - a photo from the fuel filler cover of my Yeti Adventure 2wd.

001_zpsb2ea64c8.jpg. Looks like both sizes are possible on this model.

Good forum

Flamethrower

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Soon I will use Skoda Yeti 2.0 TDI CR 140 4x4  DSG MY13 - Adventure series. Stock rims are 17x7 

I intend to put 16 inches wheels- rally sparco terra. The size option of these rims is 6x17, ET35.I will use 215-60-16 winter tyres.

What do you think about this offset - ET35, could be a problem with rubbing or not. As I see many dealers offer wheels with ET35 for Skoda Yeti, but the stock offset is ET45, so that's way I am asking for advice.

Thanks !

Edited by bubaru

Hi,

Soon I will use Skoda Yeti 2.0 TDI CR 140 4x4  DSG MY13 - Adventure series. Stock rims are 17x7 

I intend to put 16 inches wheels- rally sparco terra. The size option of these rims is 6x17, ET35.I will use 215-60-16 winter tyres.

What do you think about this offset - ET35, could be a problem with rubbing or not. As I see many dealers offer wheels with ET35 for Skoda Yeti, but the stock offset is ET45, so that's way I am asking for advice.

Thanks !

Have a look here Online Wheel & Tyre Fitment calculator. Offset, Tyre stretch and Rolling Radius calculator

You can play about with various size options.

Steve.

Incredible thread, I've read every post and I'm more confused than when I started, so a simple question has anyone tried these, are they any good and would work on my 2.0 diesel 170 4x4 Elegance?.  

A phone call to my local dealer regarding tyre size etc didn't help.

Thanks

Incredible thread, I've read every post and I'm more confused than when I started, so a simple question has anyone tried these, are they any good and would work on my 2.0 diesel 170 4x4 Elegance?.  

A phone call to my local dealer regarding tyre size etc didn't help.

Thanks

No, you need a higher load rating than 91 (and 205/55/16's look silly on a Yeti)

No, you need a higher load rating than 91 (and 205/55/16's look silly on a Yeti)

And the speedo will under read. Ie show 70 but you will be doing maybe 62 or similar. It was worked out a long time ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• 2 months later...

Factory fitted Rims & Tyres UK

Yeti E - steel rim 7J x16 ET45 with Rif wheel covers

Yeti S - Spectrum alloy 7J x16 ET45 (MY 2010 & 2011), Nevis alloy 7J x16 ET45 (MY 2012 on)

Tyre specification required = 215/60 R16 95H (77 & 81kW engines T rating permissable)

Note for European owners with the 125kW CFJA engine (from WK22/10); 16" rim's fitted with 215/60 summer tyres now require a speed rating and load index of 95W according to the Skoda Germany tyre guide.

Tyres seen fitted from factory as of 2009:

Continental PremiumContact 2 215/60 R16 95H

Goodyear EXCELLENCE 215/60 R16 95H

Yeti SE - Dolomite alloy 7J x17 ET45

Note: Due to a shortage of Dolomite alloys during the late summer of 2010, some SE's were delivered with the Annapurna alloys as standard.

Yeti Elegance - Spitzberg alloy 7J x17 ET45 (Cost option; Annapurna alloy 7J x17 ET45)

Tyre specification required = 225/50 R17 94W (94H or V acceptable for 90, 103 & 118kW engines) (94T acceptable for 77 & 81kW engines)

Dunlop SP SPORT 01 225/50 R17 94W

Goodyear EXCELLENCE 225/50 R17 94W

Pirelli P ZERO ROSSO 225/50 R17 94W

Edit

Yeti GreenLine II - Moon alloy 7J x16 ET 45 (UK specification on SE and Elegance; S retains Spectrum alloy MY11 or Nevis alloy MY12 onwards)

GreenLine II tyre specification = 205/55 R16 91H (UK specification; may differ in some European Countries).

Note: ground clearance on this model reduced to 155mm.

Tyres seen fitted from factory as of 2010:

Continental PremiumContact 2E 205/55 R16 91H

Factory fitted spare (optional)

Steel rim 6J x16 ET50

Tyre specification required = 195/60 R16 89H

Continental PremiumContact 2 195/60 R16 89H

Note: Marked with Safety Speed Limit of 50MPH or 80Km/h

Winter Tyres, Rims & Snow Chains

Snow chains can be fitted onto the front or rear wheels and if necessary both front and rear at the same time.

Due to technical reasons Skoda state that only the rear wheels can be fitted with snow chains if the Yeti has the standard tyre sizes of 215/60 R 16 or 225/50 R17. Note: obviously fitting snow chains just on the rear axle is only suitable for 4x4 versions.

If you wish to fit snow chains to the front wheels then it is only permissible by changing the wheels to one of the following rim and tyre combinations (remember all four wheels must be fitted with the same rim and tyre size and tyre designation i.e. summer or winter for reasons of safety).

Alternative Rim & Tyre sizes

6J x16 ET50 - 205/55 R16 94H M+S (91H acceptable for 2wd 90kW engine) (91T acceptable for 2wd 77 & 81kW engines) (Not GreenLine II)

7J x16 ET45 - 205/55 R16 94H M+S (91H acceptable for 2wd 90kW engine) (91T acceptable for 2wd 77 & 81kW engines)

6J x17 ET45 - 205/50 R17 93H M+S (Note: Skoda Flash alloys 6J 17 ET45 are available as a dealer supplied winter fit option) (Not GreenLine II)

Note: Snow chain links and locks must not be larger than 12 mm.

Warning: When fitting snow chains on the front and rear axle at the same time, the maximum speed is limited to 50 km/h.

4874359185_a77dc86221_z.jpg

Note: Chains can be difficult to fit if space around the wheel is limited and they should be removed when back on tarmac otherwise you can cause damage to both chains and tyres.

Alternatively a product such as the Thule K-Summit snow chain could be used; easier to fit in most cases and as they do not wrap behind the tyre, can potentially be used were conventional chains cannot due to clearance issues. However these types of system can be expensive.

attachicon.gif514sEdz-HfL._SS400_p.jpg

attachicon.gifK-summit tech illp.jpg

Also a fairly new product on the market is the Michelin Easy Grip composite snow chain.

51TMo%2B5FifL._SS500_.jpg

Appears to be approved as a snow chain and could possible be used where clearance is limited between wheel and surrounding structure.

easygrip

Another option is the use of Snow Socks; they are not designed to be an alternative to snow chains but more an aid if you get caught out in a snowfall.

Note: they will wear out very quickly if used on tarmac, and are infective for use in very heavy snowfalls or steep inclines or descents.

5106860251_8796ce3338_z.jpg

Warning: Snow Socks are not a legal alternative to snow chains in Alpine regions where the carrying of suitable chains is mandatory.

Locating holes x bolt-hole circle diameter

5 x 112 (mm)

Centre hole diameter

57 (mm)

Wheel bolts

M14 x 1.5 x 27.5

P/N WHT 001 812

Torque = 120 Nm

Wheel balance weights

max 60 g allowed per rim flange

Winter Tyre Pressure (edit)

Owners manual states this should be set at 0.2bar ABOVE the tyre pressure given on the fuel filler flap.

Note:

tyre pressure given on the fuel filler flap for 215/60 R16 tyres also applies to 205/55 R16 tyre size (plus 0.2bar for winter tyres)

tyre pressure given on the fuel filler flap for 225/50 R17 tyres also applies to 205/50 R17 tyre size (plus 0.2bar for winter tyres)

Effects of changing factory fitted wheels size on Indicated Speed & Mileage

Fit smaller wheels - Indicated speed and mileage reading will be greater than actual speed and mileage (Legal)

Fit larger wheels - Indicated speed and mileage reading will be less than actual speed and mileage (i.e. Clocking)

Use the Tyre Size Calculator to guide you; My link

Tested & recommended winter tyres by Yeti owners (edit)

Nokian WR G2 205/55 R16 94H XL, fitted to steel rims 7J 16 (The Plumber - 2010)

Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip 215/60 R16 99 XL, fitted to Moon alloys (Thanks Agerbundsen - 2010)

Vredestein Wintrac 225/50 R 17 98 V XL, fitted to Spitzberg alloys (Thanks scunjee - 2010)

Continental ContiWinterContact TS 830 205/55/16 91H fitted to Spectrum alloys (Thanks Mafuta - Dec 2010)

Michelin Alpin A4 205/55 R16 fitted to steel rims 7J 16 (Thanks Fred_Bristol - December 2010)

All Season Tyres

Can provide an alternative to changing from summer to winter tyres as they can be used throughout the year. However some view them as a 'jack of all trades master of non', although in tests performed by ADAC (2010) Goodyears Vector 4 Season tyre outperformed some winter options.

To fit factory rims (Not available as a factory option) try:

Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons

Note: carry snowflake symbol so can be used in areas where winter tyres are mandatory in the winter months.

215/60 R16 95H M+S

225/50 R17 98H XL M+S

225/50 R17 94V M+S

225/50 R17 98V XL M+S

Edit July 2010

New All Season tyre; Nokian eNtyre (Designed more for cold wet weather, with limited snow capability)

215/60 R16 95H

215/60 R16 95V

225/50 R17 94H

225/50 R17 94V

Vredestein Quatrac 3

Note: carry snowflake symbol so can be used in areas where winter tyres are mandatory in the winter months.

215/60 R16 99H XL M+S

SUV 4x4 Tyres

There are available but in limited tread patterns and brands, a number of 4x4 predominately road orientated tyres in the 215/60 R16 size. For example try:

Goodyear Wrangler HP - 215/60 R16 95H (All Season)

Michelin Latitude Tour HP - 215/60 95H

Yokohama Geolander H/T-S G051 - 215/60 95H (Note: Yokohama provide a number of tread patterns in this size)

Speed Ratings (Max) & Load Index

T - 118MPH or 190Km/h

H - 130MPH or 210Km/h

V - 150MPH or 240Km/h

W -168MPH or 270Km/h

Minimum Load index for Yeti is 94 (except winter 205/50 R17 at 93H and 205/55 R16 for 2wd 77 & 81kW engines at 91T)

Tyre & Rim Storage (edit)

Local tyre fitter gave the following advise; tyres on rim then lay flat one on top of the other, keep them out of direct sunlight and ventilated so they don't sweat. His view was that storing tyres on rim in the as fitted position could flat spot them over time.

This is supported by Michelin My link (Link provided by grahamar; thanks)

You can use a purpose made Wheel Rim Tree to store your wheels Westfalia (Again link provided by grahamar; thanks)

Alternatively I've put a square of thick ply on the garage floor with a 2cm slot cut to the middle to allow air in underneath and placed the tyres on this with a light cotton dust sheet over the top of the stack.

Prepared the wheels for storage by removing stones etc. from the tread then cleaning and drying the wheels and checking pressures.

Jacking positions (kindly provided by Fred_Bristol)

For those of us not disposed to lying on our backs looking under cars, the approximate positions of the Yeti jacking points (on the 1.2 at least) are:

Front: approximately 6 cm / 2.5 ins from the back edge of the front wheel arch

Back| approximately 29 cm / 11.5 ins from the front edge of the rear wheel arch

5787108513_8e9d4214d0.jpg

Useful web links

SKoda Germany skoda tyre & rim guide; open PDF link in the following web page (all models from Favorit);

http://www.skoda.de/...load.php?id=579 (thanks magic62)

Goodyear

Wheel & Tyre Bible (tyres)

Wheel & Tyre Bible (rims)

http://wintertyrereviews.co.uk/

tyretest.com

snowtyres.com

Auto Zone - Wheels (thanks grahamar)

Useful video's

The following Video describes winter studded tyres (Not legal in the UK)

On-line Tyre Retailers

mytyres

mytyres - steel wheels with winter tyres

Camskill

Tyremen

Performance Alloys

tyre shopper

blackcircles

elitedirect

reifen.com

pneus-online

Oponeo.co.uk

Snow Chains and Snow Socks; on-line retailers

snowchainshop

roofbox

snowchains.com

skidrive

snowchains.co.uk

toys4cars

towequipe

Note: Also check out your Skoda retailer as some provide tyre services, plus snow chains and snow socks are available as official Skoda Auto accessories, along with the following official steel or alloy rims;.

Yeti Alloy and Steel Rim Part Numbers

16" rim's

Steel Rim 6Jx16 ET50 - 8P0 601 027 03C

Steel Rim 7Jx16 ET45 - 3C0 601 027 M 03C

Spectrum Alloy 7Jx16 ET45 - 3T0 601 025 7ZS

Moon Alloy 7Jx16 ET45 - 3T0 601 025 N 7ZS

Nevis Alloy 7Jx16 ET45 - 5L0 601 025 E 8Z8

17" rim's

Flash Alloy (Winter) 6Jx17 ET45 - CCX 800 001

Dolomite Alloy 7Jx17 ET45 - 5L0 601 025 B 7ZS

Spitzberg Alloy 7Jx17 ET45 - 5L0 601 025 A 7ZS

Annapurna Alloy 7Jx17 ET45 - 5L0 601 025 7ZS

Annapurna Alloy 7Jx17 ET45 - CCH 630 005 black/silver finish (possibly not available to order in UK)

Matterhorn Alloy 7Jx17 ET45 - 5L0 601 025 F FL8 (possibly not available to order in UK)

Note:

03C = colour - Rally Black

7ZS = colour - Chrome Metallic

8Z8 = colour - Diamond Silver

FL8 = colour - Black Metallic

16" wheel trims

Rif for wheel 7J x16 - 3T0 601 147 MHB (CDB 800 001)

Cold for wheel 6J x16 - CDB 630 001

On-line Skoda retail stores (UK)

AMS Parts (Allams)

skodaparts (Bickerton)

theskodashop (Hortons)

Identifying rim size

5575328542_379e623300_z.jpg

7J x 16 H2 ET45

7J = width of rim in inches

16 = diameter of rim in inches

H2 = rim bead profile

ET45 = offset (position of the mounting face off the rim centre line)

Identifying Part No.

5202587952_18235b0fb4_z.jpg

3C0 601 027 M = 7J x 16 H2 ET45

TP

edit:- updates

Hi TP,

Many thanks for your post. It has helped me to understand the problem of putting snow chains on my Yeti Adventure 1.2 on with the following tyres 225 50 R17. 

As per your suggestion I am going to try using the Michelin Easy Grip composite snow chain. 

The easygrip snow chain should fit the tyre without hitting the inside (as you showed in another post) and it's not as expensive as the other products. 

Has anyone else tried the easygrip on a Yeti with 225 50 R17? 

Cheers

Andrew

• 4 months later...

I'm just buying a 2011 Yeti 103KW TDI DSG 4x4.

I have a spare set of  (really spunky) Audi rims 19x8 ET45. I see a 225/40x19 tyre is almost exactly correct re circumference. But just because I can, does it mean I should? Has anyone got experience with running a low profile setup in summer? That way I can fit  knobs onto the standard rims for wintertime and play. (I own a ski shop and the local police let us through when the roads are closed for snow, what fun!)