Yeti Tyre and Rim Guide

The Plumber

Thanks Pinkpanther.

Obviously some people didn't read your posting at #94, however..................

It does seem not to tally with what Tim has found in the past!

Confused?

No more than normal!!

I think I'll stick to 17"

Thanks everyone - we are "talking this subject to death" - but maybe that's how it should be as the information in this thread is really comprehensive and gives all the options and advice needed - it is worth re reading from end to end

Another great job TP

Edited by BillN_33

Called in to Cost-co yesterday and had my old Michelin Alpin's refitted to a spare set of Alloys, ready to go on the MK1 Octavia 4x4. Whilst waiting I noticed they were now stocking "Yeti sized" 225/50/17 Michelin Alpins. These came in at just under £700 for a set of 4!!

Cost-co do run a "25% off"(3 for the price of 4) tyre promotion from time to time, but I'd be surprised if this came up during "winter tyre season".

I left pleased I'd gone for the 16" option from my local dealer (x4 steel rims @ £140 & x4 Hankook W310 205/55/16 94V @ £280).

Just need to locate a set of suitable wheel trims now!

Confused?

No more than normal!!

I've experienced this kind of thing from Skoda / Skoda UK before Graham

I purchased an "approved used" Mk 1 Octavia vRS several years ago. Several weeks after buying the car I heard about the "4 year cambelt change" from a friend with a 1.8T Passat. I spoke to Skoda UK, who confirmed I needed a cambelt change at 4 years. My local dealer told me they'd never seen a failed cambelt on a 1.8T and considered the 4 year change limit to be "guidance" only. They refused to change the cambelt, although did tell me they would cover "any and all" costs, should the belt fail.

I then took it upon myself to contact the Skoda factory directly (by email / google translate) and they replied the belt change was due at ~120 0000 KM, with no stipulation on a time limit.

I was left somewhat confused by this and following several heated exchanges with the service manager, eventually negotiated a new cambelt at the cost of the parts only (~£70 from memory).

Several months later I received a circular from my local dealer stating that my cambelt was due to be changed at 4 years - O'h how I laughed :rofl:

just to add a little more confusion, and as TP indicated, - there are only two tyre sizes mentioned on my "diesel" filler cap,

One for the 17" wheels

and 215/60/16 for 16" wheels

(no mention of 205/55/16 )

Edited by BillN_33
  • Like 1

What about 215/60 R17?

More ground clearance and what Delta 4x4 fit to their raised Yeti.

Yet another 'unapproved' tyre size.

I expect some insurance companies will cover the increased wheel size.

I wonder how easy is it to recalibrate the the speedo and odometer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Right then. Got the new Yeti. Got the steel wheels on it, with winter continental tyres. Bought a tyre tree to store the wheels/tyres.

How do I get that centre cap out of the alloys without damaging it? Can't put them on the tree without removing it,

Simply push them out from the inside of the wheel.

Yes they just push out; held in place round the edge of the cap by a metallic spring clip. If their being a bit stubborn rest a piece of wood against the back of them and give it a gentle tap.

TP

• 3 weeks later...

"I wonder how easy is it to recalibrate the the speedo and odometer?"

So long as the error is within 10%, you don't need to. As has been mentioned here somewhere else, the 215/60/16 winters I am running have a slightly bigger diameter than the summer 225/50/17, but everytime I go past one of those speed indication active display thingys at the roadside, the speedo is over-reading with either set of wheels fitted -by roughly the same amount - at least 10%! This tolerance gives manufacturers the ability to offer different wheel/tyre combinations without recalibrating the speedo, but it also allows them to use different tyre manufacturers for tyres of the same size because if you have ever stood 2 tyres that are the "same size" by 2 different manufacturers alongside each other, they are nearly always different. Everything has a tolerance. As to what the "type approved" sizes for a particular car are (& hence insurance affecting) that's a whole different ballgame even if the apparent overall rolling radius is within the 10%. My petrol cap also quotes my 215/60/16 as an alternative to the 225/50/17s. Vrederstein Wintrac extremes here. Brilliant! Would like to try the new Conti TS850 too though sometime, but it's yet another tyre they don't make in "Yeti size", just like G/year assymetric s2 F1s, Vred Sportrac 5, etc etc. Frustrating really!!

Speedo reading is factory set and I don't think the dealers can adjust it from enquiries I made in 09. My Monster is factory fitted with 215/60 R16 tyres and she's very close to the reading given by our Garmin sat nav and these street signs (no more than 4mph out at 70 + speeds).

TP

Measured mile is the only way to check accuracy with any certainty.

The only problem is they are usually found on motorway hard shoulders. :(

• 2 months later...

Very confused by all the tyre gobbledegook in this thread (I am female and this is man talk!)

So can I just ask, I currently have 215 55 17 winter tyres on my car. If I buy a Yeti 1.2 tsi elegance can I put these tyres on for winter?

Very confused by all the tyre gobbledegook in this thread (I am female and this is man talk!)

So can I just ask, I currently have 215 55 17 winter tyres on my car. If I buy a Yeti 1.2 tsi elegance can I put these tyres on for winter?

Yes these tyres will fit the standard alloy rims on a Yeti Elegance, although be aware that at 60mph you will be doing 61.1mph, therefore a 50 profile would be better. Additionally I would advise checking with your insurer that they would be happy with you fitting a non Skoda recommended tyre size for the Yeti.

Recommended sizes

225/50 R17

205/50 R17 (winter pattern)

Regards,

TP

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I promise I've read every post here to search for an answer, but I apologise if I've still missed any mention of it (it was a 'man-look' after all).

There is plenty of discussion for different diameter wheels here, but I was wondering if anyone had tried, or knew what the results would be, of putting a 17 x 7.5 wheel on the Yeti? In particular, the R-type VW wheels in this photo:

$(KGrHqFHJEwFClg36mmTBQrK0(nsmQ~~60_12.JPG

According to the description on eBay, they are the same offset as the Spitzbergs - 45mm. According to the tyre calculator linked to throughout this thread, the 225/50 17 tyres I'm running (they're the Dunlops from memory) will work on up to a 7.5in wide rim. Given the offset is the same, I'm guessing this means the wheels will stick out an extra half inch from the baseplate (rather than a quarter inch either side) - is that right?

So, does anyone think or know if there will be any rubbing issues, or speedo issues? For the latter my guess is no, since I didn't think I'd be affecting the overall diameter or circumference. But I wanted to ask here to be sure.

Thanks in advance.

I promise I've read every post here to search for an answer, but I apologise if I've still missed any mention of it (it was a 'man-look' after all).

There is plenty of discussion for different diameter wheels here, but I was wondering if anyone had tried, or knew what the results would be, of putting a 17 x 7.5 wheel on the Yeti? In particular, the R-type VW wheels in this photo:

$(KGrHqFHJEwFClg36mmTBQrK0(nsmQ~~60_12.JPG

According to the description on eBay, they are the same offset as the Spitzbergs - 45mm. According to the tyre calculator linked to throughout this thread, the 225/50 17 tyres I'm running (they're the Dunlops from memory) will work on up to a 7.5in wide rim. Given the offset is the same, I'm guessing this means the wheels will stick out an extra half inch from the baseplate (rather than a quarter inch either side) - is that right?

So, does anyone think or know if there will be any rubbing issues, or speedo issues? For the latter my guess is no, since I didn't think I'd be affecting the overall diameter or circumference. But I wanted to ask here to be sure.

Thanks in advance.

225/50 17 will fit on 7.5J rims with the sidewalls being a little bit straighter / splayed.

However wheels will be quarter inch wider on both side (not half inch on the outside) so be careful of clearance inboard.

Ideally, if you are going from 7J to 7.5J you should aim to take ET45 down to ET39; the inner edge of the wheels will then be in the same position and the outer edge will be further out. For comparision I run 7.5J ET35 very successfully with 225 tyres as 'summer wheels'.

225/50 17 will fit on 7.5J rims with the sidewalls being a little bit straighter / splayed.

However wheels will be quarter inch wider on both side (not half inch on the outside) so be careful of clearance inboard.

Ideally, if you are going from 7J to 7.5J you should aim to take ET45 down to ET39; the inner edge of the wheels will then be in the same position and the outer edge will be further out. For comparision I run 7.5J ET35 very successfully with 225 tyres as 'summer wheels'.

But you failed to mention they are 18" rims, so have better clearance anyway.

:lol:

Sent using whatever device I'm using at the time.

But you failed to mention they are 18" rims, so have better clearance anyway.

:lol:

It's true, Mike, that my summer wheeels (still firmly in the garage by the way) are 18" ....

......... but surely for the purpose of the discussion whether we're on 17" or 18" rims is of no importance as we are discussing tyre width and offset.

Guy

Err not sure the 18's are taller and further away from the strut......

I suppose they would be if the strut is inclined inwards.