Yeti Tyre and Rim Guide

The Plumber

See

I'm just buying a 2011 Yeti 103KW TDI DSG 4x4.

I have a spare set of (really spunky) Audi rims 19x8 ET45. I see a 225/40x19 tyre is almost exactly correct re circumference. But just because I can, does it mean I should? Has anyone got experience with running a low profile setup in summer? That way I can fit knobs onto the standard rims for wintertime and play. (I own a ski shop and the local police let us through when the roads are closed for snow, what fun!)

You may have trouble with the ET45 offset on these Audi rims. As they are 8J as opposed to OEM 7J they will be 25mm wider, with 12.5mm of this extra width on the inboard that may possibly foul on the wheelarch or suspension when turned on full lock or when suspension is compressed. ET35 or less will be better.

As to running a lower profile in summer, I have 225/45 18s on 18in 7.5j ET35 rims which tighten the handling and steering response nicely, with only a small penalty on ride comfort.

Good luck.

Guy

PS> some 10 or 15mm spacers should sort out your offset issue.

sent from my Sony Xperia Z1

• 2 months later...

Recently purchased a 1.2TSI SE secondhand and this will need new tyres soon.

I'm tempted by the 4 seasons option on the standard 17" rims, but I didn't see much mention of noise in this comprehensive topic - maybe I was just reading too quickly? Will the all weathers tyres be noisier than the standard ones?

I also have a VW Transporter Kombi with all weather tyres, and they have a distinctly chunky tread and are noticeably noisier. However, I have left them on this summer as this was their third winter and they did not seem to be wearing at all. I am aware that the snow and general performance is supposed to deteriorate as the tyres age so it seemed to make sense to leave them on.

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

I haven't been able to find any reference to this drawback in respect of assymetric tyres:

My near-side front is on the way out, ahead of the others, due to sheer wear from out local 'roads' and I had planned to replace both fronts this autumn (putting them on the back) and the other pair in the Spring.  Then yesterday the near-side rear had an argument with a random Stanley blade and is a write-off.  Which leaves me with two serviceable, though perhaps half-worn, tyres - both for the off-side (make immaterial but clearly marked 'Outside' on the sidewall). 

Oh bother......that means four new tyres - now! 

Although the accepted recommendation is not to reverse a tyre's direction of rotation, this is one circumstance when I would far prefer to do just that, for a limited period.  As it is, the replacements (all-seasons this time) will be symmetrical tread, of course, despite this ruling out several of the obvious and well-recommended makes. 

They will either be directional (can only point in one direction) or marked outside, in which case they can be fitted to either side of the car, if its directional then just get them to swap the tyre around on the rim.

Just bear in mind 4x4’s (Haldex) like the tyres on an axle to have similar tread depths.

Just a quick note on winter tyres: both my wife and I noticed the lack of grip on snow with part worn Michelin X ice 3 Nordic 225/50-17 winter tyres; we'll be switching to Nokian HakkapeliittaR2 friction tyres this coming winter, even though these are around 235eur/piece....

....Just bear in mind 4x4’s (Haldex) like the tyres on an axle to have similar tread depths.

One from the front, one from the back - not a near enough match for me, whichever axle they were put on together.  And it's car tax time (yes, it's a tax - the form calls it  '...a tax disc...').  Hey ho.

One from the front, one from the back - not a near enough match for me, whichever axle they were put on together.  And it's car tax time (yes, it's a tax - the form calls it  '...a tax disc...').  Hey ho.

Rule of thumb suggests that a tyre once bedded in to a particular direction of rotation should be kept that way and with winters with all the sipes I'd agree.

However if I understand correctly your wanting to put the offside front summer tyre on the nearside rear, switching its rotation, then that should be fine and I'd be happy to do that myself, as long as the tread depths where similar on that axle.

TP

• 1 month later...

To update my story, for anyone who's interested:  

As mentioned above, I had decided a while ago that when the time came I'd try to replace my Conti2's with 'all-seasons' tyres.  After a lot of reseach on the forum and on the net, I decided on Kleber Quadraxers.  They're a second-string Michelin brand, a bit less expensive than the big names but with far better reviews than the fabled YingYong Ditchfinders. They are directional, but symmetrical - that means they can go on either side of the car to allow rotation for balancing wear.  The fully-fitted price from MyTyres was fair and one of the local garages is on their approved list.  Delivery was actually a day earlier than the forecast five (from Germany) and they were fully fitted in a couple of hours.  

After three days introducing them to the local potholes, we set off for a break in Cornwall that took in 900-odd miles ranging from the M4/5 motorways to lonely moorland and farm tracks.  Comfort is good and noise possibly better than the Continentals - surprising for the blockier treads, which still showed a few moulding 'nibs' when we got home!  Around four hours of motorway were in heavy rain and poor visibility that resulted in some 'caterpillar' traffic; it was reassuring to know that we were on good rubber again and, without wishing time away, I'm looking forward to some frost and possibly snow this winter. 

So it's :thumbup: for now, and I'll report again sometime.  

I've been using Continental EcoContact 5 225/55R17 on my Yeti and they are perfect! A bit oversized sure but they only touch lightly the front bender when reversing and turning the wheel all the way.

Pics here: http://1drv.ms/1ur1P6r

Edited by headman78

What size did you fit, Bri?

MyTyres don't seem to list them in 225/50r17!

The clue's in my signature, Graham!  A wider range of rubber for the 215/60/16 wheels - not much, nor across all makes. 

I've been using Continental EcoContact 5 225/55R17 on my Yeti and they are perfect! A bit oversized sure but they only touch lightly the front bender when reversing and turning the wheel all the way......

Phew!  That's tight!  :whew:

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the 16" Dolomite alloy fitted to the 1.6 Greenline II SE FL, are they the same size as the Moon alloys previously fitted ? ,I need to know whether I need the 7J or 6J X16 steel wheels for winter tyres, the offset on the 6J is 50 and the 7J is 45, I need to fit a 205/55/R16 91H tyre. Apparently this size fits both wheel sizes?. I can't find any info on the wheel at all. Regards Paul.

thanks for your reply Ian, I just wanted to be sure in case anything had changed since the facelift, the usual 2009 + and not for 2014 FL models  is on most Yeti extras and spares like mud flaps and rubbing strips. Which Continentals did you buy ?. Ive been looking through the available tyres and to say there's a lot to choose from is an understatement!!!!!.Regards Paul.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been offered a set of genuine SKODA steel wheels complete with 205/55/16 winter tyres with 6mm of tread on each tyre.

The thing I'm not sure is the wheel size is 6J 16 ET50 instead of the 7J 16 ET45.

Are these wheels still suitable for my Yeti Adventure 4x4?

• 1 year later...

Sorry for re-opening this thread...

Looking at moving from my 1.6 Greenline to a 1.4tsi L&K had me checking winter tyres  again.

The link to the official German Skoda  site  http://www.skoda.de/index.php?e=348-10-23  is now broken.

I have the horrible  feeling that my current winter tyres   - Continental 205/55/16 91H on 7J x 16 steel wheels - are not approved for the 1.4tsi due to their 91H rating.

Am I correct ?

So currently what is the most economic approved winter wheel and tyre combo for the 1.4tsi L&K ?

I have the horrible  feeling that my current winter tyres   - Continental 205/55/16 91H on 7J x 16 steel wheels - are not approved for the 1.4tsi due to their 91H rating.

They are an approved size,speed limit and weight construction.

These are from my 2015 manual

Image4_zpsvlyua5wy.jpg

Edited by Urrell