Speeding up Bolero SD, possible solution

carried out update on red barrons car fault now fixed thanks for help

Hi Gav,

Where abouts is the garage you the work in, which dealer ? PM me if you want.

Can you give me the specic details and firmware version numbers I can give to my local Skoda service centre ?

john999boy i was one of these dealers that couldnt find how to do this the fault that skoda supplys is for a diffrent problem but in turn this speeds up the sd card as well thanks

spudhoolio ill pm you the deatils i carnt give you but ill give you details of where i am and contact tel numbers so i can help thanks again

Today I visited my local Skoda dealer for two software update requests.

1 - Rain sensor activation.

2 - Bolero Firmware.

the first update took about 3 minutes, now the interval will be controlled by the amount of

rain recorded by the sensor on the windshield.

the second update was almost 50 minutes (don't ask me why it takes so long) the update is done online,

so assume the speed of the internet connection link might be the reason.

anyway after the update all Bolero settings are blanc, so you need to re-programme the radio stations etc.

now the actual test, I inserted the 8gb SD card, and bang instantly the first track started

playing.

So far I had been using the programme from Danishviking which works perfectly on the Bolero,

but now I have the updated Bolero responding promptly as it should have in the first instance.

Danishviking thank you kindly for your programme, I used it 10 months in a row.

So concluding you need to convince your dealer to hook up your Car to the Skoda computer to

allow the Firmware Update ( I believe the latest Bolero firmware is 054)

:yes:

Edited by Polypenko

carried out update on red barrons car fault now fixed thanks for help

Big thanks to Gav611 at Progress Northampton for his perseverance in getting my Bolero firmware updated.

and to John999boy for putting him in touch with Rainworth.

Yes it does take about 50 minutes

Can now access any track on the Bolero in 0.23 of a second emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

I did have to re-enter the 6 quick dials on the phone function. Also the reverse park sensors work slightly differently now. Previously when you you engaged reverse it would totally mute the Bolero so you could hear the bing-bongs. Now it only partially mutes the sound, I would say to about 30% of the set volume. I do not have a problem with this.

So now there are at least 2 dealers who know what they are doingemoticon-0144-nod.gifemoticon-0148-yes.gif

Sorry, I'm really confused now. Did Skoda fix this inadvertently when sorting something different? Do they not know the problem exists? Because that's the only reason I can come up with as to why it's apparently listed as a fix for something else, and the dealers then deny there's any update.

Or am I missing something obvious?

Can anyone confirm now then the file structure your sd card needs to be to get it to work, can we now just drag and drop or have we got to set it up like page one states

Cheers

Edited by Darrenb3843

Can anyone confirm now then the file structure your sd card needs to be to get it to work, can we now just drag and drop or have we got to set it up like page one states

If you have a 'modified' Bolero then you don't have to 'nest' as page one refers to. Just put 1 mp3 in the root and the rest in album folders.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a new stereo!!! First service and when I booked I just asked for the stereo update.

Car returned and......... bang card reads straight off. My file structure is simple drag and drop and it's instant.

Autosales in Bilston did mine with no questions, brilliant.

• 1 year later...

john999boy i was one of these dealers that couldnt find how to do this the fault that skoda supplys is for a diffrent problem but in turn this speeds up the sd card as well thanks

spudhoolio ill pm you the deatils i carnt give you but ill give you details of where i am and contact tel numbers so i can help thanks again

Well I wasted am afternoon at Progress Skoda Bedford who have never heard of the problem with the SD card before and tried changing the actual Bolero unit. They also reloaded some "software" on the advice of Skoda but this did not speed it up. I guess I will have to get Progress Bedford to speak to Progress Northampton to let them find out exactly what needs to be done. I wish I checked this thread before I went over there!

hi tightmartin , please feel free to contact my self at progress skoda northampton my names gavin im the work shop foreman i will try to help you with this problem as i see that are sister dealer hasne t been able to help. i am aware of sofeware updates being carried out on bolero units this is done via are on line connection with skoda and im more than willing to see if this is availble for your car ,

the contact details are 01604 795444

many thanks gavin

hi tightmartin , please feel free to contact my self at progress skoda northampton my names gavin im the work shop foreman i will try to help you with this problem as i see that are sister dealer hasne t been able to help. i am aware of sofeware updates being carried out on bolero units this is done via are on line connection with skoda and im more than willing to see if this is availble for your car ,

the contact details are 01604 795444

many thanks gavin

Great thanks, I will take you up on that.

Martin

I had my car serviced at Blade Skoda in Bristol this and similarly had no luck with getting them to fix this. Only just found this thread so all I asked for them to do was look for an update to speed the sd card access. No luck, only answer I got was there is no update for the stereo and perhaps it because I have a lot of data on the card :-S

Gavin if there is an indirect fix for this perhaps you need to feed this back to Skoda Uk and they can in turn filter this out to other dealers?

Is the fix you describe applicable to all bolero units? Mine is in a 2010 Octavia.

Hi Swindon Dave

There is a update but not sure if it covers a 2010 car how ever I belive that i may have done one on a late 2009 car so this may well be the case the update isn't for speeding up sd cards its for a bolero rock curve fault but something with in the update changes the sd card set up pls don't hesitate to contact me regarding assistants or pls pass contact details to your dealer there listed above I'll be more than willing to help anyone, feedback has been sent to Skoda already ( But pls be aware that I have come across on 1 account different manufactures of the bolero stereos this has been limiting ad cards sizes and speeds) but feel free to contact me I'm bk to work Monday thanks again Gavin

Cool okay thanks for that. I'll maybe go back to my dealer and see if I can convince them :-$

I've done the playlist fix now which has speeded it up a bit. Wrote a powershell script to do it for me :-)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Also the reverse park sensors work slightly differently now. Previously when you you engaged reverse it would totally mute the Bolero so you could hear the bing-bongs. Now it only partially mutes the sound, I would say to about 30% of the set volume. I do not have a problem with this.

This is adjustable from one of the menu's so if you wish you can return it back to mute...

• 2 months later...

hmmn, now only if someone can tell me which is the latest firmware version for the bolero emoticon-0114-dull.gif

Know it's a bit old, but just for anyone's sanity, the way to see what your firmware version is off the sticker (assuming you've not had anything updated) is by looking at the SW number just above the big black rectangle with 'CLASS 1 LASER PRODUCT' written in it. In my case, you can see my Bolero is SW0054 (presumably SW stands for software) so has the latest firmware right now.

2qntir7.jpg

• 5 months later...

Works great here, thanks.

I used the following to test;

Created a batch file to generate the file structure;

i:

echo "Directory changed"

mkdir 1

mkdir 1\2

mkdir 1\2\3

mkdir 1\2\3\4

mkdir 1\2\3\4\5

mkdir 1\2\3\4\5\6

mkdir 1\2\3\4\5\6\7

mkdir 1\2\3\4\5\6\7\8

mkdir 1\2\3\4\5\6\7\8\9

echo "Directories created"

I then used a program called Playlist Creator 3.6.2 to create the m3u files. Under options you must set Saving playlist absolute without drive and check forward slashes instead of back.

I then copied the created playlist file into the root of the sdcard along with one mp3 file. Works perfect.

Time dependent I may create a .net app to automate the whole process as it is quite time consuming creating playlist 1-1.

A Playlist file references the .mp3 files elsewhere on your card. There are various formats of playlist file and various ways to generate them.

Google it

[edit] forgive my out-of-date reply, blame the crap forum display page number system

Edited by TDIum

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone,

I got my Superb a few days ago and this is one of the first threads I read, but I think it is so useful I hope it is not a problem bumping it up.

I think my superb has the new firmware but I did not like the idea of it scanning through thousands of files to get info so decided to have a go with the 1\2\3... solution described here. It works great and there is no 2000 limit either!

I have also created a vb script for windows so that when I update the files in the card, it can regenerate the playlists. All you have to do is create the structure in the SD card, copy your music under any folder structure you find useful and under folder \1\2\3\4\5\6\7\8\9\ and it will create playlists for every single folder under that hoerarchy that containcs mp3s or wmas. For example if you have

\1\2\3\4\5\6\7\8\9\Metal\Metallica\Black\1.mp3

\1\2\3\4\5\6\7\8\9\Rock\Various\3.wma

it will create two playlists at the root folder:

Metal - Metallica - Black.m3u

Rock - Various.m3u

with the appropriate files in them. I can confirm it works very fast though I wish the Boldero would let me switch to a song into another playlist directly rather than having to press play on the playlist and then play on the song.

Many thanks to the OP and the other contributors. If anyone is interested in the script I will be happy to share.

Cheers,

Aristo

Edited by aristo