Vrs owner for 48 hrs. First impressions.

rob_e

Got my new candy white Vrs estate TSI delivered on wednesday which replaced my Mk5 Golf GTI (increasing size of the family means a golf just isnt big enough any more!). Would have preferred to wait until 1st March for a "10" plate car but it wasn't my decision in the end, so its a 59..

Still running in so can't comment on performance but should be unchanged from the golf given its the same engine and the car weighs about the same.

Ride: Better than the golf i think. Maybe the longer wheelbase helps? Also seems to cope with 'shocks' and potholes a bit better, however this could just be that i'm comparing with the GTI which has had a hard life (89k miles in 3 yrs).

Seats: not as supportive as the golf. The Gti has much deeper side bolsters so you feel more "held" in place than you do with the vrs seats. They're still good, but not quite as sporty as the golf - i feel a little like i'm sitting ON them rather then IN them if you see what i mean.

Tyres: was surprised that the car came with Continentals. Given recent comments on this forum I was expecting sportmaxx GT? Not too bothered really but will prob change for Assymetrics when they're due for change - i had these on the golf and they are very good.

Heated Seats: not as powerful as the golf, but still ok.

Space/storage: absolutely awesome. I am absolutely blown away by how much storage you get over the golf - the boot is massive but you also get a much bigger spare wheel well (which can hide all sorts of stuff) plus two storage boxes at the sides of the boot - useful for keeping a spare coat os something - they really are that big! Storage INSIDE the cabin also excellent - a LOT more space than the golf. Only one sign of cost cutting vs the volkswagen: the door bins are hard plastic in both cars but the vw has a felt liner that the skoda doesn't. Simple fix with some non-slip pad stuff from halfords i think..

Bolero radio: this is a super piece of kit, much better than the vw (touch screen, sd slot, mp3 cabable etc) and coupled with the MDI i can play and control my ipod from the touch screen whilst this is hidden away in the glove box - fantastic! The columbus nav system has a good write up on these forums but i don't regret leaving that off the order at all - my tomtom fits perfectly in the dash top storage pod, so with some little velcro strips that will work well in there - much better solution that spending 1500 quid on the columbus IMHO!

Dont like: Gearknob - bloody horrible design - looks rubbish (way too shine/chrome which does not match the rest of the interior) and lousy to hold - its like changing gear with the wrong end of a cricket bat. Will be changed..

Ride height; ok so when you see the car in the metal it does not look as bad as seeing pics on the internet BUT it still rides too high IMO. I am fixing this with eibach/koni next week.

I also also very pleased i got the dealer to paint the wheels anthracite - looks great - much better than silver against the white paintwork. Considering getting the mirrors done to match.. hmm... must stop modding!

Since weds I've also changed the roof aerial to a stubby oem vw "sharan" type which is only a couple of inches long - looks much better, don't need to remove it for car washes plus when i carry large loads on the roof it can stay in place (the stock long aerial would get bent or broken with some of the suff i sometimes have to carry) radio reception unchanged. Also, i got the dental floss out and whipped off the "Octavia" badge - rear end looks much better without it - i just have the Vrs badge on the back now.

Overall very happy with the car, general build quality is just as good as any Audi/vw and I can't get over the price - we paid a little over 18k for this car - spec up a similar pasat, a4 or 3 series (or even a mondeo!) and you're up at 26k or more.

I will post some photos after I get the eibachs on next week. :thumbup:

Nice little review. Good value for money aren't they!! :)

Get some pics up!! :) Bet the white looks great with anthracite wheels. Were they painted or powder coated?

Enjoy it!

Rob, thanks for detailed write up. Do you have the part number for the aerial? Looking at getting one for mine. There are a few on ebay but not sure if there are original VAG one's or not.

Overall very happy with the car, general build quality is just as good as any Audi/vw and I can't get over the price - we paid a little over 18k for this car - spec up a similar pasat, a4 or 3 series (or even a mondeo!) and you're up at 26k or more.

Yep the value is excellent - I remember when we were looking to buy the 4x4 we have - I priced an A4 up to the same spec and got to about £27k new whilst ours should have been £21.5k new but we paid £16.5k as a three month old ex-dealer car.... :thumbup:

Got my new candy white Vrs estate TSI delivered on wednesday which replaced my Mk5 Golf GTI (increasing size of the family means a golf just isnt big enough any more!). Would have preferred to wait until 1st March for a "10" plate car but it wasn't my decision in the end, so its a 59..

Still running in so can't comment on performance but should be unchanged from the golf given its the same engine and the car weighs about the same.

Ride: Better than the golf i think. Maybe the longer wheelbase helps? Also seems to cope with 'shocks' and potholes a bit better, however this could just be that i'm comparing with the GTI which has had a hard life (89k miles in 3 yrs).

Seats: not as supportive as the golf. The Gti has much deeper side bolsters so you feel more "held" in place than you do with the vrs seats. They're still good, but not quite as sporty as the golf - i feel a little like i'm sitting ON them rather then IN them if you see what i mean.

Tyres: was surprised that the car came with Continentals. Given recent comments on this forum I was expecting sportmaxx GT? Not too bothered really but will prob change for Assymetrics when they're due for change - i had these on the golf and they are very good.

Heated Seats: not as powerful as the golf, but still ok.

Space/storage: absolutely awesome. I am absolutely blown away by how much storage you get over the golf - the boot is massive but you also get a much bigger spare wheel well (which can hide all sorts of stuff) plus two storage boxes at the sides of the boot - useful for keeping a spare coat os something - they really are that big! Storage INSIDE the cabin also excellent - a LOT more space than the golf. Only one sign of cost cutting vs the volkswagen: the door bins are hard plastic in both cars but the vw has a felt liner that the skoda doesn't. Simple fix with some non-slip pad stuff from halfords i think..

Bolero radio: this is a super piece of kit, much better than the vw (touch screen, sd slot, mp3 cabable etc) and coupled with the MDI i can play and control my ipod from the touch screen whilst this is hidden away in the glove box - fantastic! The columbus nav system has a good write up on these forums but i don't regret leaving that off the order at all - my tomtom fits perfectly in the dash top storage pod, so with some little velcro strips that will work well in there - much better solution that spending 1500 quid on the columbus IMHO!

Dont like: Gearknob - bloody horrible design - looks rubbish (way too shine/chrome which does not match the rest of the interior) and lousy to hold - its like changing gear with the wrong end of a cricket bat. Will be changed..

Ride height; ok so when you see the car in the metal it does not look as bad as seeing pics on the internet BUT it still rides too high IMO. I am fixing this with eibach/koni next week.

I also also very pleased i got the dealer to paint the wheels anthracite - looks great - much better than silver against the white paintwork. Considering getting the mirrors done to match.. hmm... must stop modding!

Since weds I've also changed the roof aerial to a stubby oem vw "sharan" type which is only a couple of inches long - looks much better, don't need to remove it for car washes plus when i carry large loads on the roof it can stay in place (the stock long aerial would get bent or broken with some of the suff i sometimes have to carry) radio reception unchanged. Also, i got the dental floss out and whipped off the "Octavia" badge - rear end looks much better without it - i just have the Vrs badge on the back now.

I will post some photos after I get the eibachs on next week. :thumbup:

Good write up. :thumbup:

Having also just bought a VRS (hatch though) after Mk5 Golf GTI ownership you echo a lot of my thoughts...I think the seats don't go as low as the Golf which gives you that slightly 'on' rather than 'in' feeling. I don't mind the gearknob but do find the steering over assisted after the Golf (I'll be trying to get this adjusted back to the Golfs great level by using VAGCOM)

I've also got Continental Sport Contacts on & expected Dunlop Sport Max's...must be our run of cars! :wonder:

like you very happy with the Goodyears on the Golf & will probably move to them when the time comes to replace the O.E tyres.

Interesting little review - thanks. Am eagerly awaiting my (first) vRS estate which isn't due until mid-end March. I'm thinking of removing the badge off the back of mine when I get it (always take badges off cos it makes cleaning much easier) so it's good to know it can be done, hopefully without any problems.

Sarge

vRS estate on order

Rob, thanks for detailed write up. Do you have the part number for the aerial? Looking at getting one for mine. There are a few on ebay but not sure if there are original VAG one's or not.

No part number sorry, here the link to the ebay auction. The description says its OEM but came in plain packaging - not really worried if it is or not to be honest, it was only a few quid and looks/feels OE and works fine so I'm happy.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320465913351&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

TOM: Wheels are painted rather than powder coat. Cost 40 quid a wheel.. I think powder coat would have been more expensive, finish is great so I'm happy.

JIGGER: my car does not get washed very often ;) but mostly it is handwash / bucket but sometimes in the winter its just sooooo bad and its cold so yes occcasionally it goes through a machine - i know the "detailing" crowd won't like this but its just a car ffs! With two little kiddies my weekend time is more important than the risk of microscopic paintwork damage..

SARGE: took about 1 minute only to get the badge off - its really very easy. Just use a "sawing" motion with the floss and the letters ping off easily - the adhesive left behind comes off easy with your finger nail, just a little adhesive residue remaining - quick wipe with white spirit and its done. :thumbup:

Edited by rob_e

No part number sorry, here the link to the ebay auction. The description says its OEM but came in plain packaging - not really worried if it is or not to be honest, it was only a few quid and looks/feels OE and works fine so I'm happy.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320465913351&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Was it a straight swap, unscrew old, screw in new one? :)

Good review rob.

You are aware about the "gotcha" with Contis, where they change to a much harder compound at 3mm tread left?

TBH i also find the same effect with GY Assymetrics - super grippy until you're down to about 2mm they they really go "off". :o

yep, in fact takes longer to write this post than to do the swap.

:thumbup:

Just ordered one of these - not so much for the change of appearance but the orginal fit aerial gets hung up on my garage door mechanism producing a horrible 'twang' when reversing the car out... :S

Good review rob.

You are aware about the "gotcha" with Contis, where they change to a much harder compound at 3mm tread left?

I wasn't aware of this, but it definitely happens; grip really falls off at low tread depth. I just thought that it was the lack of tread.

I wasn't aware of this, but it definitely happens; grip really falls off at low tread depth. I just thought that it was the lack of tread.

I always thought this was just my ham-fisted lack of finesse with the controls - but seems the tyres were to blame all along! ;)

post some photos!!! Hope you are enjoying your new ride.

lousy pic on the phone, thru the window. n.b. this is with stock suspension - eibach's going on monday.. will post some better pics during the week.

dscf0018w.jpg

Edited by rob_e

nice little review, your mods sound like what I will be doing to mine when it comes - debadge, black wheels, and maybe a drop.

Interested to know your comparisons in performance with your mk5. I have regular use of a mk5 and have also have less regular use of a non-facelift TFSi vRS and the performance is very similar, if dulled very slightly in the skoda - hhowever thenew facelift has the new TSi engine which I have not experienced (mine is coming in march) - how do you find the difference between GTi and vRS? is delievery notably different?

looking nice btw :)

nice little review, your mods sound like what I will be doing to mine when it comes - debadge, black wheels, and maybe a drop.

Interested to know your comparisons in performance with your mk5. I have regular use of a mk5 and have also have less regular use of a non-facelift TFSi vRS and the performance is very similar, if dulled very slightly in the skoda - hhowever thenew facelift has the new TSi engine which I have not experienced (mine is coming in march) - how do you find the difference between GTi and vRS? is delievery notably different?

looking nice btw :)

I'm still running in so its hard to make performance comparisons between the two cars at this stage. I would expect very little difference given the similar weight between the GTI and the Vrs and that they use exactly the same engine. btw I think the fl has the same engine as previous- the only thing that changes was the designation ie a pre-facelift TFSi engine is the same as the facelift engine, just that they now call it TSi..? Mk6 golf gets a new engine, but the Vrs i think stayed with the same motor.

might be wrong.. :-)

. btw I think the fl has the same engine as previous- the only thing that changes was the designation ie a pre-facelift TFSi engine is the same as the facelift engine, just that they now call it TSi..? Mk6 golf gets a new engine, but the Vrs i think stayed with the same motor.

might be wrong.. :-)

I'm pretty sure thats not the case, but would stand to be corrected - I have read that the new engine in the FL is chaindriven and has a different turbo - as per the mk6 - however i believe its mapped differently (at least) hence 200 vs 210 PS/BHP(?) for FL vRS and mk6 GTi respectively.

Happy to be corrected!