Tyre Pressure Monitor

redandwhitepauly

Bearing in mind those folks who have said there beasts were driving on incorrect pressures, if you have the tyre pressure monitor fitted, will it tell you if the tyres are over inflated ??? Presumably the monitor has to be set in some way to the pressure of the tyres you are using.

How does it work then boffins ???

:smirk:

Bearing in mind those folks who have said there beasts were driving on incorrect pressures, if you have the tyre pressure monitor fitted, will it tell you if the tyres are over inflated ??? Presumably the monitor has to be set in some way to the pressure of the tyres you are using.

Tyres are filled. You then press the button to set it and then any variance from that will be indicated to you. Saved me a few times in the VRS so I chose it again for the Yeti. :yes:

It will only bring the warning up if the tyres change pressure from what it has been set at, so if it has been set at 35psi and it went up it would bring up the warning also if it went down it will bring up the warning.

The TPM system doesn't actually monitor tyre pressures, it used the ABS/ESP wheel speed sensors and measures the wheels rotational speed if the tyre pressure drops in the rotational speed will increase marginally and this fine increase or decrease in rotational speed is what brings up the TPM light on the dash. It does seem to work quite well, although it won't ring a warning up until your at least 5psi out in my experiences.

Presumably in the same way it works in my wife's MINI. If there's a variation in the pressure in any given tyre from when the last reset took place then you'll get a warning light. Personally I don't think it's very useful. Unless there's a big drop in pressure that is obvious to the eye you still need to check the individual tyre pressures. I just check them weekly using a digital tyre pressure gauge from Halfrods, or if she tells me the warning light has come on. If it does come on she sticks to 50mph in case she's got a puncture as the tyres are runflats.

Stewart

Since it must know WHICH wheel is spinning faster, does it also tell you on the Maxidot which wheel is the culprit? Or is it just one light that flashes up and you have to check ALL the tyres yourself?

Since it must know WHICH wheel is spinning faster, does it also tell you on the Maxidot which wheel is the culprit? Or is it just one light that flashes up and you have to check ALL the tyres yourself?

No, oddly like you say it does know which wheel has the pressure issue but it doesn't tell you which tyre. This is the case for the Octavia not entirely certain on Yeti but I would have thought it would be the same.

According to the Yeti Manuel it shows a general warning light and says "The driver is responsible for the correct tyre inflation pressures. For this

reason, the tyre inflation pressures must be checked regularly."

Waste of time in my opinion, which is why I have not ordered the option and will do what I normally do and check the pressures regularly. And if you know how your car "feels" you will feel when tyres are seriously under-inflated or flat.

Stewart

Edited by StewartK

Peculiar but yes onus is on driver to check. But my mum once drove at 80mph in a rental car in South Africa with dad asleep in the passenger seat for some while before he woke up and smelt something wrong. She did not even realise the back rear wheel was a gonner!!! Perhaps as it was a rental she did not "feel" it felt different. So for those sort of moments I feel the £90 spent on this is worth it.

Have TPM which as previously stated only bongs at you and flashes up a warning light on the speedo dial, with no indication as to the actual culprit. Main benift is for the detection of a slow puncture. Also works well when you forget to tell it that you've switched from winter boots to summer shoes :rofl:

TP

I would have thought that for the majority of drivers who probably dont check their tyre pressure often (me being one) then it would be an early indication that they needed checking which would otherwise be missed by people just like me ??

:S

Waste of time in my opinion, which is why I have not ordered the option and will do what I normally do and check the pressures regularly. And if you know how your car "feels" you will feel when tyres are seriously under-inflated or flat.

Stewart

It isn't intended to be a substitute for checking tyre pressures, it is to give some early warning of a puncture before it becomes dangerous. From experience, by the time a problem becomes obvious - particularly if you are just cruising along a straight road - you are pretty close to wrecking the tyre. Which is particularly inconvenient if all you have in the boot is a can of sealant...

In any case, I'm assuming it wouldn't be able to detect if all the wheels were equally deflated, as it would just think you were going a bit faster.

Mark

There is a proper tyre pressure monitoring system available on the big VW 4X4s but it is expensive .I don't think it is available as an option on other models. It shows the actual tyre pressure on the dash display . Each tyre pressure sensor transducer ( valve replacement) is about £70 ea. !

The flat tyre indicator is not intended to be a precision pressure indicator but mearly an indication that the rolling diameter of one or more wheels is significantly different to the others. The brochures / manuals are misleading in calling the flat tyre indicator a pressure monitoring system .The price of this option , ( £90 on my Octavia brochure) , is a little surprising considering it is only a little bit of software and a re-set button switch as the antilock brake sensors are already there.

Edited by vwcabriolet1971

• 2 years later...

Just checked my tyres 3 at 33psi and one at 25 psi

The TPM never gave a warning

I have always reset the TPM once I have checked the tyres - but have not checked them for maybe 4 months as I expected the TPM to warn me - never trust it again

Edited by BillN_33

I don't think the TPM checks the spare.

Are you calling the Yeti fat, I'd say well built :giggle:

I had a TPM on my last VAG car, like yourself mine never came on even after a reset at each tyre check even with more than 10% difference in inflation. I did say in the manual it only detects 'significant' differences in inflation what ever that is. Still useful if you had a slowish puncture on a run I guess to let you know before deflation becomes dangerous.

Edited by Hairball

A cautionary tale - My wife's Peugeot 807 has a TPM system and it does tell you which tyre pressure is low (about half a bar). It displays on the Sat Nav multifunctional screen. And in the past has indicated slow punctures, nails etc. A few months back I got our local tyre centre to change our winter tyres back to our summer tyres. All seemed well (there is no resetting or anything to do - in fact I don't know how the system works!) A few weeks later we had a TPM warning. I stopped checked the tyre - you can't see or feel a minus half a bar. I drove to Smart tyres (oposite where Llanigraham lives) and asked him to mend the slow punture. Went back an hour later and he said do you want the bad news or the really bad news?!! The bad news was that the TPM valve was leaking not the tyre and the really bad news is that if I try and remove the valve it will almost certainly break - that will cost over £100!! I took it to our local Peugeot dealer who did break it and to replace cost £125. Since then we have had another TPM warning... on a different wheel. I've put a pressure gauge and foot pump in the car and will keep topping up till I change back to winter tyres and hope it was a slow puncture.

Points to note: I hope the Yeti TPM is a different sytem to the Peugeot one. Did the tyre changer damage the TPM valves on changing the tyres (I always warn them) I'm not going to bother to change tyres again, once the winter ones are back on. It is too much trouble. We don't do long motorway journeys in the middle of summer.

On my Yeti I have winter tyres and steel wheels which I will swap myself around November/ December time.

I did not order TPM on my car - and occurred to me later that for nearly half the year it will have steel wheels on. Would the TPM know that? I guess from above comments that it does not need to know...

Peter

My car warns me when a tyre set at 32psi gets down to about 26psi.

Not using pressure sensing valves was a good idea by VAG, had one develop a n issue on the Nissan that was fixed under warranty and also had an issue on my previos Range Rover. Fortunatley that was also covered under warranty as it cost about 350 pounds...

Found with the Fabia but not the Yeti, that changing summer for winter wheels but forgetting to reset the TPM usually sets of the 'alarm'. However it takes two or three miles of driving at least before it does sound :wonder: Think the difference being that the Fabia goes from 16" summer to 15" winter, unlike the SM which uses the same tyre size all year round.

TP

I was told that the Skoda TPM works via the ABS sensors. When it senses a difference in the effective diameter of the tyre caused by under inflation it triggers the warning.

I had a warning on my Roomster that was never resolved and when I changed the front tyres, but that was solved with a reset.

As it seemed to be less than efficient I didn't order it with my Yeti.

Fred

Just checked my tyres 3 at 33psi and one at 25 psi

The TPM never gave a warning

I have always reset the TPM once I have checked the tyres - but have not checked them for maybe 4 months as I expected the TPM to warn me - never trust it again

just an update - usual screw straight through the tyre - TPM never picked up drop in psi from 33 to 25 - (yes I do reset it after every tyre pressure check).

I removed the wheel and a French garage took the tyre off and stuck a big patch over the hole, (I presume this is vulcanisation or an approved repair) and charged me 12 Euros, (just under £10).

not sure I'll trust the TPM anymore as I was just about to embark on a 1200 mile journey, (mainly autoroute over a 2 day period)

Edited by BillN_33

I had TPM on my Tiguan. It alerted me to both of my punctures. However it alerted me twice when I didn't have punctures. I stopped, checked all pressures, and all OK.

My experiences are therefore mixed and as I have a spare wheel I decided it was not a tick in the box for me.