If you are about to order a Yeti - things to think about

Maybe I was wrong but I find it hard to accept someone devaluing my wife's car especially when I'm the one forking out €26,000 for it.

I had a Golf GTI a few years ago...I had lots of issues with it...I entered grievances with the Dealership and received a full refund...my view...don't like what you get for your money bring it back...

Maybe I was wrong but I find it hard to accept someone devaluing my wife's car especially when I'm the one forking out €26,000 for it.

I had a Golf GTI a few years ago...I had lots of issues with it...I entered grievances with the Dealership and received a full refund...my view...don't like what you get for your money bring it back...

It is clear you do not remotely get the gist of this thread or don't have English as your first language. Not once is the Yeti "devalued" in this thread nor do I mention I single build issue (as you allude to with your Golf) . But I leave it at that.

Very mature...

You join a thread that has been positive up to post #93 and then you criticise one of the most useful members of this forum. I can see NO rubbishing of your wife's car.

Please, if you have nothing useful or sensible to add, then don't bother. Or are you another troll? They seem to be prevelant at present!

You join a thread that has been positive up to post #93 and then you criticise one of the most useful members of this forum. I can see NO rubbishing of your wife's car.

Please, if you have nothing useful or sensible to add, then don't bother. Or are you another troll? They seem to be prevelant at present!

:thumbup: +1

Since I joined Briskoda in January Johann, TP, Llanigraham, Agerbundsen, James Rothwell and HMI Bennett (amongst others) have been a constant source of good advice, information and good natured banter. They've been excellent on 'facts'. They've also expressed opinions. I might not always agree with the latter, but that's fine ... I know they are opinions.

No car is perfect, all cars are compromises; obviously. A Formula 1 car is probably the best tool for running round a racetrack, but would be slaughtered by a Landrover up a farm track. What the Yeti does for me is be the best 'all round' package for the mix of driving that I do, at the price I'm willing to pay. I think it's a brilliant car. It's not the best motorway cruiser, it's not the best country lane racer, it's not the best commuter car, it's not the best 4x4 off roader ... but I struggle to think of a car that is better for a bit of all those things.

Recognising a car's foibles/weaknesses is not 'rubbishing', it is honest. This car might not suit all. It does suit me and I value Johann's opinion.

I think macRS has simply skimmed or misread this post.

The point of it is to help intending purchasers by explaining what various specs and options actually amount to. The Thread began when Yetis were rarer and dealers even less informed. The available brochures and web based information don't tell all you need to know and this thread adds substantially to the available knowledge.

The one thing that this forum is full of is enthusiastic owners or those doing their best to get hold of Yetis. There are a few gripes-but no forum is complete without them.

We have our fair compliment of experts(some astonishingly well informed), pedants and misers. macRS is jockeying for the one who misses the point and that is fine too!

...macRS is jockeying for the one who misses the point and that is fine too!

Aye. Very true and as stated before I'm more than happy to leave it at that. As a collective we get to the answer in the end!

I'm humbled by the support though. Thanks guys.

All I can say is that Johann has been a mine of useful information on the forum and to me personally, when persuading me order a new 140 DSG Yeti. Buying a new car is a big step and the professional attitude and assistance from Johann, Rockhopper, Merlinman, Aerofurb the list goes on, as well as James Rothwell, convinced me to get a more fun car.

A number of my friends think I have gone mad, harking back to Skoda 20+ years ago but they know nothing about cars. I think the forum is great and as someone with no mechanical ability, very useful to check on a regular basis.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm about to order a Yeti for my new company car. Its a 1.6 TDI Greenline, Experience Spec...the highest we have here, in Pearl Black Metallic. Extras I've added are heated seats, Sunset tint, and heated washer nozzles.

I know about the hassle of the Spare Tyre (less boot space and drop to the seats) and the no spare tyre (expense of replacing the tyre and gunge) but since its a company car they'll be paying for any new tyres ;)

I'm going for the Gobi leather interior with black floors and metal style trim (I hate fake wood).

Delivery time is 12 weeks but the fleet company won't register it before start of 2012 as our cars are on a year numbered plate so registering a car in December is a bit silly!

I've to sell my beloved Octavia Mk2 vRS 2.0TFSI :'( which I'm not looking forward to. I'm going to be way down on power....less than half of what I have now...but I'm willing to accept that as petrol costs are hitting €80 a week for me.

Anyway I'll be popping in and out to checkout the Yeti section until I get it.

PS...Oh one other thing I heard is that the Bolero may be replaced by the Amundsun before the end of the year due to shortages in the Bolero. I'm not too bothered which one I get.

PPS...Is there a thread for any mods we can do with a VCDS yet?

Delivery time is 12 weeks but the fleet company won't register it before start of 2012 as our cars are on a year numbered plate so registering a car in December is a bit silly!

12 weeks would be impressive.

I'm about to order a Yeti for my new company car. Its a 1.6 TDI Greenline, Experience Spec...the highest we have here, in Pearl Black Metallic. Extras I've added are heated seats, Sunset tint, and heated washer nozzles.

I know about the hassle of the Spare Tyre (less boot space and drop to the seats) and the no spare tyre (expense of replacing the tyre and gunge) but since its a company car they'll be paying for any new tyres ;)

I'm going for the Gobi leather interior with black floors and metal style trim (I hate fake wood).

I've to sell my beloved Octavia Mk2 vRS 2.0TFSI :'( which I'm not looking forward to. I'm going to be way down on power....less than half of what I have now...but I'm willing to accept that as petrol costs are hitting €80 a week for me.

Anyway I'll be popping in and out to checkout the Yeti section until I get it.

Hi Zippy,

I too have just placed my order for a company Yeti - again the Greenline II in Elegance trim but without any extras - this time in Regency Green with a Gobi Leather interior - unfortunately I think the quote is for a 6 month lead time at present... we shall see.

My previous Skoda was an Octavia vRS TDI PD so I know where you are coming from - having driven the 110bhp 2.0 in 2wd I am not too worried - that went well enough. A least the fuel economy will be better :) - I am looking forward to beating the 66.4mpg record that I managed in the Octavia when I needed the money from expenses :D .

I am interested to hear of stories with the GL II if anyone has one...?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Zippy,

Noticed your comment re ordering or not ordering a 'spacesaver' spare wheel on a YETI Greenline.

I have been informed that (because of achieving a low CO2 rating!) this is not an option on Greenline models. The salesman said they could supply a spare wheel by ordering the appropriate components thru spares dept - at much higher cost. Barmy!

19. The Yeti exterior rear view mirrors can't electrically fold. Unlike on other Skodas you do NOT get electrically folding mirrors when you get the £500 electric driver's seat.

Another update needed? Great list by the way... :thumbup:

Edited by Totally Square

Another update needed? Great list by the way...

Aha! Thanks for pointing it out. Point 19 now ammeneded! :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

After contacting Auto Express, Skoda UK have stated that they will now consider requests to 'downgrade' (their words not mine) the 17" alloys with 225/50 profile tyres found on higher specification Yeti's in the UK, to 16" alloys and 215/60 profile tyres on the proviso that the vehicle order is not subsequently cancelled.

See Auto Express issue 1,191 (Nov 2011).

Which specification to go for is obviously a matter of personal taste, however I went the 16" route as for me the ride comfort (particularly on poorly surfaced rural roads), feedback from the steering and levels of grip are better with the 16" set-up. Additionally the choice of tyre available in the 215/60 R16 profile is much wider, including tyres more suitable for 4x4 vehicles and off-road use.

I base the above point of veiw from driving a 2009 Yeti 140 4x4 SE over 10,000 miles on 17" 225/50 Goodyear Excellence tyres, compared with a 2011 Yeti 110 4x4 Elegance 8,000 miles on the 215/60 R16 Continental PremiumContact2 tyres.

TP

• 2 months later...

Aha! Thanks for pointing it out. Point 19 no ammeneded! :thumbup:

'The Yeti exterior rear view mirrors can't electrically fold. Edit: as of sometime in the middle of 2010 all Elegance spec Yeti's now get electrically folding mirrors as standard regardless of you ordering the electric seat or not.'

I have a 2011 build Elegance without electric seat and I cannot fold the door mirrors electrically :(

'The Yeti exterior rear view mirrors can't electrically fold. Edit: as of sometime in the middle of 2010 all Elegance spec Yeti's now get electrically folding mirrors as standard regardless of you ordering the electric seat or not.'

I have a 2011 build Elegance without electric seat and I cannot fold the door mirrors electrically :(

Apologies. It should read from the middle 2011! Doh. I've fixed it AGAIN!

Quick one, in the current brochure it states that the Elegance does not come and you cant order them with Foldable Tables on the front seet backrests but they are standard / optional on lower trims is this correct?

Quick one, in the current brochure it states that the Elegance does not come and you cant order them with Foldable Tables on the front seet backrests but they are standard / optional on lower trims is this correct?

Unfortunately they are only standard on the SE Plus and not even an option elsewhere on UK spec vehicles. Sadly we are the poor relation in terms of having access to the wide and varied options list available to some of our European neighbours :( Mind we do get a reasonable level of standard kit, although I feel a little to 'bling' focused rather than safety and practicality; surely ESP should come before large alloys :yes:

Oh worth bearing in mind that the SE Plus in Europe is known as the Family Edition.

TP