yeti mpg

wakev

Hi All,

Elegance 170, Run to North Yorkshire from South West Oxfordshire, 600 miles on the clock and a 1407 kg caravan on the back - just a tad over 32 mpg. On the trip back I picked the speed up a bit to legal max and got 30 mpg. Really quite pleased with that, especially as it was a delight to drive. LGV's and PCV's came past at a rate of knots and Yeti stayed rock solid.

Now 1600 miles on the clock and never below 48 mpg, 52+ in Sunday driver mode. Even being pushed round the local back roads, never less that 48.

Great car!

Chris K.

Edited by chriskelland

with 1200 miles on the clock I am getting 41mpg on setting 2 (i.e. since it was manufactured) and frequently get 47+ on my drive home from work (33 miles from centre of Birmingham, A38, M6, M42 to Swadlincote) and the most I have had is 55mpg for same journey but with cruise set at 55mph rather than the usual 70mph.

Thats with a 110ps SE 4x4 20tdi.

The overall average MPH has been creeping up from about 38mpg when I picked it up to 41 now and expect it to get towards 46mpg+ when it settles down and the engine is run in.

Recent run to Germany, 1600 km/1000 miles - 300 km A roads, the rest autobahn, 14 km/l or 40 mpg. Autobahn is a mix of 160-180 km/hr when possible, and several long roadworks and congestion sections.

Even more recent typical round trip to major town, several shopping stops, roundabouts and a bit of urban in-city, 60 km round trip, average speed 60 km/hr - 37.5 mph, 18 km/l or 51 mpg. Aircon and radio on, windows closed.

Since she is already broken in - 25,000 km/15,625 miles, I expect this is "IT" except for decidedly trying for mileage.

On the more normal routine daily short trips, the 16.5 km/l or 46.4 mpg is the norm. The first few miles are killers, so short trips cost fuel.

No matter how I drive, whether I explore the wonderfully addictive kickdown or to quote my son "make it sound like a racing car" in sport mode I always seem to end up with a tankfull average of 34 mpg or thereabouts. Can't complain though as the engine is brilliantly revvy and the auto box lovely and smooth. I have tried to use the realtime fuel consumption readout on the maxidot but this is next to useless going between 30 mpg and 100 mpg in a few hundred yards with the cruise control set at 70.

Realistically the Yeti is a relatively heavy blunt nosed vehicle which is not a design likely to provide the best fuel economy with a 1.2TSI engine, wonderful as it is. The 1.2TSI will necessarily be working much harder and be less fuel efficient at higher speeds while higher powered versions will be relatively less stressed at those higher speeds - hence the increased fuel consumption at motorway speeds.

There is a Road Test of the 1.2 Tsi Golf in this weeks Autocar (I believe it was Autocar) and they achieved about 34 mpg at best. Their conclusion was weight and size inevitably took a toll on mpg. Now in the Fabia and Polo the 1.2Tsi should provide really interesting performance and MPG numbers.

Realistically the Yeti is a relatively heavy blunt nosed vehicle which is not a design likely to provide the best fuel economy with a 1.2TSI engine, wonderful as it is. The 1.2TSI will necessarily be working much harder and be less fuel efficient at higher speeds while higher powered versions will be relatively less stressed at those higher speeds - hence the increased fuel consumption at motorway speeds.

There is a Road Test of the 1.2 Tsi Golf in this weeks Autocar (I believe it was Autocar) and they achieved about 34 mpg at best. Their conclusion was weight and size inevitably took a toll on mpg. Now in the Fabia and Polo the 1.2Tsi should provide really interesting performance and MPG numbers.

Makes my fuel consumption about right then, one of the weekly s either Autocar or Auto Express has a 1.2 DSG as a long term test and was getting about 32 mpg as well, this is probably going to drop with this weather causing me to use the aircon.

i must have a good one then 3+k one the clock and on a short trip with air con on it will give me no less than 36 mpg and the same when i have fun with the turbo regularly get 40- 46 mpg on average trips :happy:

i must have a good one then 3+k one the clock and on a short trip with air con on it will give me no less than 36 mpg and the same when i have fun with the turbo regularly get 40- 46 mpg on average trips :happy:

Still below 1k, average mph 38-40 on short trips 8-10 miles country roads steady driving add motorway and longer trips best yet 47.8 (25% motorway, rest A roads Keswick Lake District) 1.2 DSG. :rofl:

Still below 1k, average mph 38-40 on short trips 8-10 miles country roads steady driving add motorway and longer trips best yet 47.8 (25% motorway, rest A roads Keswick Lake District) 1.2 DSG. :rofl:

Please keep us informed on MPG as your mileage increases - motorway runs at normal 70-80 mph seem to be an MPG killer. A lot will depend on your "normal" driving style and whether you keep up with day-to-day traffic or drive more conservatively! Anyway I am particularly interested in the 1.2 TSI + DSG box, can't abide stirring gearboxes manually while it is done so much better automatically!!

Please keep us informed on MPG as your mileage increases - motorway runs at normal 70-80 mph seem to be an MPG killer. A lot will depend on your "normal" driving style and whether you keep up with day-to-day traffic or drive more conservatively! Anyway I am particularly interested in the 1.2 TSI + DSG box, can't abide stirring gearboxes manually while it is done so much better automatically!!

I drove to London and back last night and picked up the pace a bit and had to rely on the air con for the way down due to the heat. Averaged 37 mpg there and 35mpg back. My usual mpg for this return trip is at least 40 mpg and I agree that 75-80 really affects the mpg on the 1.2. Keep it 65-70 and you'll average 40mpg+ no problem. This is a shame because the 1.2 TSI hits a sweet spot at about 75-80. It feels eager and not at all under strain at these speeds. Incidentally I always use less fuel on the way to London (M40) than the way back. Must be more uphill going home.

Just completed 900 miles. Average is now 39.2mpg, that's with the 1.2 DSG auto. Mainly B-roads in the Highlands, with some A9 driving as well. Not used Sport Mode much. Very pleased, will hopefully see 40mpg over the next 1000 miles.

44 mpg including some severe 1-in-three hills in the Lakes, A roads and M-way home. Air con on full-time. 2.0 170bhp diesel. Without the Lakes hairpins (HardKnot Pass etc) it has been steady at 49mpg

A colleague who has the Octavia 170bhp diesel VRS commented that as he turned from 2500 miles on the clock, everything got better. Apparently the engine management is set to rearrange things at around 2500 - 3000 miles on the clock without us being aware of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this thread, folks... I was thinking about replacing my diesel Roomster with the 1.2TSi DSG Roomster after seeing that the average mpg figures look pretty similar to my 1.9 TDi... but reading this it seems that the average figures for the TSi are well nigh impossible in real life, wheras i am currently averaging about 1 to 2mpg over the average figures for the diesel (even allowing for the readout being about 7% optimistic!)... I drive from Kidderminster to the centre of Brum (20 miles) nearly every day and luckily outside the rush hours... on my return run the computer usually reads in the early 60s by the time I get home (on the way in its usually high 50s as there's more uphill that way!)...

Edited by The PM

Thanks for this thread, folks... I was thinking about replacing my diesel Roomster with the 1.2TSi DSG Roomster after seeing that the average mpg figures look pretty similar to my 1.9 TDi... but reading this it seems that the average figures for the TSi are well nigh impossible in real life, wheras i am currently averaging about 1 to 2mpg over the average figures for the diesel (even allowing for the readout being about 7% optimistic!)... I drive from Kidderminster to the centre of Brum (20 miles) nearly every day and luckily outside the rush hours... on my return run the computer usually reads in the early 60s by the time I get home (on the way in its usually high 50s as there's more uphill that way!)...

But the TSi is such fun to drive.

But the TSi is such fun to drive.

But I'm a stingy b****r! :)

TBH from the descrpitions the engines' characteristics are similar to the TDis, which is what made me wonder if it would be suitable... espcially as Skoda don't seem to want to combine the DSG box and diesel engine in the Roomie! I will still try to get an "extended" test when the time comes...

can any of the longer owning 1.2 manual lads confirm current mpg'( shrub, weaver etc) :thumbup: ..

Hi lee67 my 1.2tsi has now done 3.5k all short urban driving and the running average from new is showing 39.7mpg. This includes the 32mpg at new and up to the 1k after that it improved sharply now on a very short run playing with the turbo it is hard to get it below 38mpg most of the time its around 45mpg but i have had 50+ 3 or 4 times

can any of the longer owning 1.2 manual lads confirm current mpg'( shrub, weaver etc) :thumbup: ..

You called Lee67.....

Current average long term mpg showing on the computer 42.6mpg. The 1.2TSI is very sensitive to high speed motorway runs otherwise I return over 40mpg for all but very short trips. It takes a little restraint but it is not hard to average over 40 mpg in the 1.2. I have covered 1700 happy and economical miles now. :)

Since new (c.2400miles) it has averaged 42.9 and the most I have had on a long journey is 62mpg (M42 between centre of Birmingham and M42J11) with the cruise control set at about 55-60mph (where speed limits permit). I am noticing the mpg improving all the time now - I used to get about 44mpg on my way to work and now getting nearer 50mpg.

Since new (c.2400miles) it has averaged 42.9 and the most I have had on a long journey is 62mpg (M42 between centre of Birmingham and M42J11) with the cruise control set at about 55-60mph (where speed limits permit). I am noticing the mpg improving all the time now - I used to get about 44mpg on my way to work and now getting nearer 50mpg.

Snap mucky!

My average over the last 3000 is 42.7.

I get 44 on a regular 200 mile long run from Wirral to Somerset but thats with the cruise set to around 70 on the motorway.

If i drop down to 55-60 it makes a huge difference but its tooooo sloooooow on the motorway! :(

Still its all money and CO2 so will have to learn to drive slower. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I had my 2wd 110bhp lease car delivered yesterday.

Today I have driven from near leeds to near Warwick and back., 137 miles each way.

Setting off with a total of 22 miles driven since built, and generally using the M1/M69/A46 with a few traffic holdups and queues, especially on the A46, 53mpg average on the way down. This was with the aircon on all the time, and using the cruise control at much as possible set to 73mph on the speedo.

Coming back I went the scenic route A46/M69/A46/A1 past Newark which has a long 40mph section through roadworks, and which was quite congested around Doncaster, 55.9mpg, again largely using cruise control and with the aircon on.

This is slightly better than my old Superb which tended to achieve around 52+ on a run and averaged 50.9 over the last 3800 miles I had it.

All figures from the display though, haven't checked with the actual fuel pump delivery

At a steady indicated 73mph it seemed to settle at an average consuption of 55.5mpg on the computer.

Although being gentle on acceleration as part of running in, I was generally travelling at my normal fastish pace, so this looks quite promising once it has loosened up.

As an aside with my Superb, I could never see any fuel consuption difference when the air con was on or off, and long ago came to the conclusion that the skoda installation with a diesel is quite efficient. I remember my Peugeot 405 turbo diesel estate some years ago; you had to turn the aircon off before attempting to overtake, as otherwise, if it cut in during the manouver a lot of power and acceleration just vanished, very scary! In Skodas I can never tell if the pump is engaged or not.

Hi, My 170 has done approx 5000 mls from new in Dec 09. Best single trip 3up on a 20 mile run was 60 mpg . Overall average to date 46mpg and that includes lots of short town journeys.

That's pretty amazing, our 170 is averaging around 39 mpg due to it spending most of its time in town, but in fairness that does correspond to official consumption figures.

I've had it on a couple of longer, steady runs in the past couple of days and had nearer 45 to 47mpg according to the single trip readout, so would expect it to average between 42 and 44 on more mixed driving longer term.

Never seen much more than 30mpg in 1000 miles, almost all on an easy 15 mile run to the station and endless trips from dealer (about 20 miles) - usually it goes to the dealer on the back of a tow truck.

2.0 SE, 110 bhp, 2wd, patchy grey metallic, ordered with spare wheel but wheel 'lost' by dealer.

After 2300km I am now getting 54mpg on long national and motorway runs. Local runs to nearest town and about getting 48mpg. Overall OBC is saying 47mpg since day one. 2.0 110hp 2WD monster