yeti mpg

wakev

My 1.2TSi DSG recently gave my best tankful at 43.5mpg. This was measured rather than MFD (445 miles, 46.6 litres), and is after correcting for the winter tyres. This included about 190 miles of trips under good conditions - less than 60mph for most of the time, little in the way of stop start, longish journeys (although it was a little hilly). This included getting a genuine 50mpg on 2 return journeys, according to MFD (after taking off 3.8% for winter tyres and 1.9% for measured MFD error). The two journeys were of 42 miles and 30 miles. Interestingly, the outward journeys (a few hours earlier) each only got 43mpg. In each case the outward journey was overall uphill, but I would be surprised if a total of 150 metres over 42 miles would make that difference! The outward journeys were also from cold overnight and had a few miles local driving to be absorbed into the average, but again, not enough on its own to account for the difference. Maybe my driving was slightly more economical on the way back also.

Incidentally my overall average over 7000 miles is now 38mpg (corrected for winter tyres) and this has been rising slowly over the winter (from 37.3mpg), despite the colder weather. I do suspect that even after accounting for the smaller diameter of the wheels, the fuel economy is better on the 205/55's rather than 225/50's. I hope I am wrong and that when the summers go back on shortly I will find that the car is better than last summer due to the engine being looser!

7721129a.jpg

Now the weather's warming so is my mpg. Typical morning journey, wife to work, 2 school runs, and took dogs for there walk.

Trip counter reset before journey.

Overall I'm pleased as it is close to Skoda's figures, just a shame about the rising cost of diesel :(

Has anyone else noticed the insane number of views this thread has had?

Something to do with people Google'ing skoda yeti MPG perhaps?

:o Never noticed it before! Yikes! That is a LOT! Most (as you suggest) are probably just anonymous Google finders!

I never thought this would have that many views or posts when i started it.

It must give a good idea of actual mpg for anyone thinking about a yeti petrol or diesel. some posts also gives details of daily trips and traffic conditions

2.0 2WD Elegance 110: I get 60mpg+ on long journeys (motorway/ A roads) at or near legal limits on cruise. Long term ave over 14.5k miles since last July is 52.5.

It usually stays above 50mpg. I get dissapointed if it goes into the 40s. I'm not a fast nor slow driver. On most journeys (open roads) I usually accelerate normally to speed limit and put cruise on. My daily commute is country roads with a few miles of slightly congested traffic getting into Nottingham. Better than my old Civic (2.2 diesel 138 bhp).

• 2 weeks later...

This is my average best so far. Trip from east London via the M25 to Witney near Oxford for the Fritillary Festival. Then down to Henley-on-Thames for some Bluebell watching at Greys Court and back to east London through central London and the M40. Part of it in convoy with three other cars and thus low throttle and no more than 50mph. Seems I do need to keep my right foor in check as this is a far cry from the average MPG stated in my signature! [blush]

imgp7509.jpg

I was skimming the web this week and had a look at a Mitsubishi ASX forum. The biggest thread on there is regarding fuel consumption. A LOT of owners were unhappy about the reality compared to the claimed consumption. The most anyone seemed to get out of the 1.8 diesel was 45mpg when the claim is combined 49mpg. We all know that mfrs claims are inaccurate but even one long runs no one was able to get past 45mpg.

I think mpg is a very key factor nowadays and the shape and weight of 4wd cars make people wary, hence the high number of views for this thread.

I was skimming the web this week and had a look at a Mitsubishi ASX forum. The biggest thread on there is regarding fuel consumption. A LOT of owners were unhappy about the reality compared to the claimed consumption. The most anyone seemed to get out of the 1.8 diesel was 45mpg when the claim is combined 49mpg. We all know that mfrs claims are inaccurate but even one long runs no one was able to get past 45mpg.

I think mpg is a very key factor nowadays and the shape and weight of 4wd cars make people wary, hence the high number of views for this thread.

Funny enough, when I went to see the ASX, the dealer was very keen to point out that the Petrol is a lot more fuel efficient than the brochure suggest as apparently "this is the way Mitsubishi builds them, they always underestimate how fuel efficient they are"........

And I suspect the ASX is more aerodynamic than our beloved monsters.

I dream of 45mpg. Ok not actually, but I hope you know what I mean.

I drive mine around London during the day and night and am lucky to get 40mpg in the evenings when it is quiet, and struggle to do 30's during the day. currently sitting on 28mpg for current journey and average for current tank 35mpg over 300 miles, which is pretty accurate as I have had the Maxidot recallibrated.

rockhopper - I should have clarified that the ASX drivers were getting that return on long journeys when they should have expected 50+. As MyYeti pointed out it is a big sales plus for Mitsubishi that the car has a combined mpg of 49. I average about 43-45mpg but did once manage a 50mpg on a long run to Birmingham and back. I don't think driving around London will produce good mpg whatever car you are in. My numbers are genuine, not Maxidot.

Took mine out for a run today. 200miles there and back and thought I try to see how economically I could drive. Maxidot fot the out run was 60.3 mpg!! Coming home in heavier traffic it was 57.4. Filling the tank before and after showed correct figure of 52 mpg, still pretty good for a tight engine (2700 miles). Maxidot reading over by about 13%!

Andy

Well from new I've acheived 39.6 mpg (genuine) and that's @ 2.5k with Shark and using available grunt!

Happy with that :thumbup:

If I drive like Miss Daisy I can hit 50+ easily - but where's the fun in that? :rofl:

Took mine out for a run today. 200miles there and back and thought I try to see how economically I could drive. Maxidot fot the out run was 60.3 mpg!! Coming home in heavier traffic it was 57.4. Filling the tank before and after showed correct figure of 52 mpg, still pretty good for a tight engine (2700 miles). Maxidot reading over by about 13%!

Andy

Its not difficult to achieve high figures to be honest.

If I set my cruise to 50mph on the motorway I can easily achieve 70 mpg.

Not much fun though as Merlinman says.

I do a regular 200 mile plus trip from Wirral to Glastonbury and setting the cruise to 65mph I get 48 mpg going and 50 coming back.

Thank God for Radio 4 and the SD card - makes the journey pass quickly.

Also the challenge of navigating around the lorries whilst trying not to touch the throttle ;)

No its not a lot of fun. Only tried it as an exercise. Next time out will use right foot for its intended purpose.

Overall get about 42mpg in normal driving.

Andy

My Wife's 1.2 manual has now done 16,000 miles. Her usual drive to work is about 20 miles each way - a real mix; across town, A and B roads with a relatively heavy right foot. She averages 44mpg. I took it out recently in steadily flowing traffic averaging 40-50mph and saw 53.9mpg.

Edited by HKPhooey

After nearly eight months our 1.2 DSG is up to 1940 miles! :o

Average still about 37mpg round the villages, but can get 55mpg on a run if I stick to 60mph and pretend I'm driving the Greenline II Fabia. :D

Very pleased with my 2.0 SE with a full holiday load, 4 up, A/C on full blast and 85mph on cruise 90% on French roads, 1200 miles round trip all at 46mpg.

My mpg was very similar to this on a 2600 mile round trip to the south of France, and similar driving (only 2 up but lots of wine on the way back!).

And I suspect the ASX is more aerodynamic than our beloved monsters.

I dream of 45mpg. Ok not actually, but I hope you know what I mean.

I drive mine around London during the day and night and am lucky to get 40mpg in the evenings when it is quiet, and struggle to do 30's during the day. currently sitting on 28mpg for current journey and average for current tank 35mpg over 300 miles, which is pretty accurate as I have had the Maxidot recallibrated.

I guess it's all down to where you live and the kind of driving you do. Over the last 3000 miles Betty has averaged 45.6mpg. Down to the Alps and back (80mph most of the way), and on a recent trip to Norfolk and back, I averaged closer to 50mpg. I'm not consciously trying to drive in a fuel efficient way. I commute just under 20 miles each way most days, a mixture of country roads (where I like to have a bit of a blat on sunny mornings when the roads are empty) and then the last 5 miles in the city. I do a little travelling as part of work, some of which again is in the city, some back and forth along the M62, and some on more rural roads. Overall consumption is working out better than the 2WD Volvo V50 (2.0D 140 bhp) I was previously driving, or the Audi A4 Avant (PD130, 1.9TDI) before that, and I get 4x4 capability and 170bhp (and a lot more driving fun). I'm well pleased with that.

Now if you want to talk poor fuel consumption; my MGB V8 (Blodwen) averages about 22mpg if I'm gentle, but give it a bit of welly and I can drop that to 14mpg (and about 120 miles on a tankful) with very little effort. No wonder I only do about 1500 miles a year in her!

Edited by Bobdog

Now if you want to talk poor fuel consumption; my MGB V8 (Blodwen) averages about 22mpg if I'm gentle, but give it a bit of welly and I can drop that to 14mpg (and about 120 miles on a tankful) with very little effort. No wonder I only do about 1500 miles a year in her!

Ok that beats Elsie the Helipad....

But it did get close recently. When I took her round Castle Coombe and drove her flat out for 11 minutes, she only returned 15mpg.......emoticon-0140-rofl.gif