yeti mpg

wakev

Just had fill-up number four and average mpg so far is 39.1. The maxidot has it at 43.1, which is about right if it uses 5l/gallon. I'm assuming it'll loosen up over time and improve. Work is only 3 miles away so the Yeti doesn't get much of a chance to warm up unless I do the 17 mile school run first. As it's now school holidays I'll have to find an excuse to do longer treks and keep the DPF clear!

But why would it assume 5l/gallon - that would be crazy? VW Group engineering would know precisely how many litres to the (Imperial) gallon and I don't imagine that the operating system of the trip computer is limited to integer arithmetic though I guess it could be. Must be some other explanation.

The bit I never understand about these threads is that the error is always assumed to come from metering of the fuel volume. But what's the error on the distance measurement? Could it be the same (presumably deliberate) parametric error that causes the speed readout to be 5-10% over-optimistic.

21 mile journey this morning along the A1 to Gibside 2 adults, 3 kids, 2 dogs - averaging 58mpg! Restricted to 50 ish mph for half the journey with faster motorways and country roads.

This Saturday we set off on our 7 hour journey to Devon, with all the above plus a roof bag :whew:

I just hope this nice weather holds out.

My 140 TDi is averaging (all values are from maxidot) about 47mpg overall (so about 43mpg in reality?), which is what I hoped for when choosing the car, over the likes of the Freelander and Ewok, which seem to get about 33mpg. I have on regular occasions seen over 55mpg on the display on trips where I've kept the speed to around about 60mph.

Given the size, weight and shape of the car, plus the burden of 4wd (albeit Haldex), I'm more than happy with the economy from it.

I did an experiment the other day.

I did 145miles on the motorway travelling at 50mph and achieved (according to the trip computer) 71mpg.

If you look at my Fuelly below you will see that this helped give me my best ever mpg of 59mpg last week.

I'm averaging approx 52-53mpg per fill up. I do mostly motorway mileage at 70mpg

I'll bet the truckers loved you at 50 on the motorway.

The best my Greenline's done is 48.3 mpg,though it's still less than 1000 miles from new.

I've found the maxidot mpg is just about spot on,whereas my previous 2.0 TDI was about 10% optimistic.

It was late one night and it was quite quiet on the M6 around Cumbria, I got some funny looks, but I waas trying to see what could be achieved by the yeti.

I can promise you I won't do that again. it was the most boring journey i've ever undertaken.

Has anyone with a 1.8Tsi tried using higher Octane petrol?

After 20,000 miles of using regular stuff, I've filled up with 99 octane petrol for the last 3 fills, and find that around town there's absolutely no difference to the consumption (which is as I expected).

However, on several long constant speed journeys (using cruise control on same 35 mile stretch of motorway in broadly similar traffic conditions) the consumption has improved by nearly 4 mpg.

I know that this is exactly what the petrol companies claim happens, but the almost immediate and quite marked improvement in economy has surprised me. I now need to do some maths as I haven't yet worked out the cost benefit (if indeed there is one) of the reduced consumption vs higher cost of the premium grade.

Anyone else tried using the petrol equivalent of Steak & roast potatoes instead of burger & chips?!!!

Just filled up after getting back from our trip to Llandudno. Brim to brim this time gave 43.1mpg which is a bit better. Most of the trips on the maxidot were 50-51 with one 25 mile trip giving 55. The average since collection is up to 44.2 maxidot and 40.1 brim to brim.

Has anyone with a 1.8Tsi tried using higher Octane petrol?

After 20,000 miles of using regular stuff, I've filled up with 99 octane petrol for the last 3 fills, and find that around town there's absolutely no difference to the consumption (which is as I expected).

However, on several long constant speed journeys (using cruise control on same 35 mile stretch of motorway in broadly similar traffic conditions) the consumption has improved by nearly 4 mpg.

I know that this is exactly what the petrol companies claim happens, but the almost immediate and quite marked improvement in economy has surprised me. I now need to do some maths as I haven't yet worked out the cost benefit (if indeed there is one) of the reduced consumption vs higher cost of the premium grade.

Anyone else tried using the petrol equivalent of Steak & roast potatoes instead of burger & chips?!!!

Speedsport - I've been running 100 octane v power in mine for the past four tanks and it has definitely improved the mpg. I'm getting 44mpg @ 70mph and over 50mpg if I stick to 60mph. I usually tour at a higher speed but the latest findings re speed to mpg ratio have been an eye opener! I've had tank range values of 565 miles, figures I never thought I'd see from a 1.8tsi!

• Like 1

Speedsport - I've been running 100 octane v power in mine for the past four tanks and it has definitely improved the mpg. I'm getting 44mpg @ 70mph and over 50mpg if I stick to 60mph. I usually tour at a higher speed but the latest findings re speed to mpg ratio have been an eye opener! I've had tank range values of 565 miles, figures I never thought I'd see from a 1.8tsi!

1.8tsi better fuel consumption or at least similar to a CR140 diesel........interesting.

Do you think that the "chipping" has helped your fuel economy? I think that some chippers make claims for both improved performance AND better fuel consumption.

I'd be interested in figures for chipping a 170...... backed by some 'proof' from users!

Everyone of my cars that's been chipped/remapped has seen small gains afterwards in terms of economy if you drive it in such a manner. Driven hard they obviously drink it to provide you the enhanced performance. I banged on about k and n filter in the thread of that name and in still convinced, this more so but in combination is giving me the gains. Also the 100 Ron v power seems to help but I can't prove it!

• Like 1

Everyone of my cars that's been chipped/remapped has seen small gains afterwards in terms of economy if you drive it in such a manner. Driven hard they obviously drink it to provide you the enhanced performance. I banged on about k and n filter in the thread of that name and in still convinced, this more so but in combination is giving me the gains. Also the 100 Ron v power seems to help but I can't prove it!

I have never been certain of the claims for the higher-power diesel but feel that the higher octane petrol definitely improves both the smoothness and to a small extent the mpg on my 1991 M-B 190E.

John

• 2 weeks later...

My CR170 has been reading an average of 46.4 for a few months now - on the last couple of refills I did the sums and got 45.9 and 46.2 so the Maxidot isn't far out for me. I do mixed driving, 45000 on the clock IIRC. Long motorway journeys usually get to 52mpg or so but my commute is mostly 40mph A-roads and bits of dual carriageways with a fair few junctions and roundabouts.

I drive mine in a fairly 'spirited ' fashion - although I find I rarely need to use the full rev range in the lower gears. I tend not to brake heavily, but concentrate on keeping the speed up by 'straightening ' out the lanes around here wherever visibility allows it!

Sitting on 39.9 over 12.5k miles measured from fill to fill. Mixed journeys, some lanes, some urban some motorway, NO commuting though!

Happy with that from a 210 bhp four wheel driver, shaped like a brick :)

If I pootle about mid 50's are easily achievable - but where's the fun in that? :thumbup:

Over the course of the last 3300 miles I've seen an average maxidot readout of 44.5 overall. That's cruising long distances between 60 and 75 mpg. I'm chuffed with that considering either the sunroof and windows have been open or the a/c has been running to maintain a 23 degree temperature (17 lower than the external temp) and I have 200kgs of additional weight in the vehicle. Oh and its a modified 1.8tsi of course :-)

• Like 1

interesting what some of you get on the maxi dot,my 140 4x4,doing speeds of around 40 on a and b roads on the way to my place of work often gets between 60 and 70 mpg!!but watching my fuel gage drop VERY fast tells me its a bloody liar.

My maxidot was about 10% out. I have had it adjusted and it is now pretty close.

It does mean that where it used to say I was getting 44mpg, I am only 'now' getting 40mpg.

I had another DSG 4x4 a few weeks ago and did the same trips in it, and my remapped 4x4 was getting about 10% better fuel economy, so I know I made the right decision having it remapped.

• Like 1

interesting what some of you get on the maxi dot,my 140 4x4,doing speeds of around 40 on a and b roads on the way to my place of work often gets between 60 and 70 mpg!!but watching my fuel gage drop VERY fast tells me its a bloody liar.

That doesn't sound right. I've proved my figures with fill to fill calculations and I'd say my display was between 6% optimistic.