Retrofit DRL

Ok I'll admit I haven't been on here for a looooongtime, confirmed by the fact that everything has changed and tbh I'm a bit lost.

Until I get used to the new set up can someone assist?

These new lights on the FL octy VRS cars, have worked out from here that they are called DRL (I think).

Have a mk2 vrs Octy and would like to know if there is a retrofit, where from, how much and who can do it.

Thanks

Apparently the VAGCOM can also activate DRL's using the front fogs, if the correct module is installed. :thumbup:

Yup it can ;)

Can also do cornering lights through them if the controller is installed :p

@OP you can install the OEM LED lights however you need to mess about with the wiring and Cut Holes in the 2 lower end parts of the bumper grille.

dieseldarren has his fogs as DRL's so I can also confirm it can be done. Wouldn't mind mine doing too tbh.

You can even change the intensity of the beam by percentage iirc

Edited by willskoda

Fogs can indeed be enabled on the pre-FL, but are not legal as DRL's in the UK. Only the Scandinavian style is UK-legal. The North American DRL's are I think potentially dangerous due to lights going on an off as you engage and release handbrake.

• 5 months later...

Here, and when they are fitted they look like this:

DSC001061.jpg

NYSINYD01.jpg

How much work is required getting them fitted?

Hacksaw job or push-out panels?

Hassle for wiring?

Asking because my experience with "mods" on a Mk2 VRS go as far as replacing the ICE with a Columbus :)

Hassle for wiring?

Asking because my experience with "mods" on a Mk2 VRS go as far as replacing the ICE with a Columbus :)

With a bit of guidance it is a piece of cake, the hardest part is probably cutting out the lower grille inserts, but they are only about 4 quid each if it all goes pete tong. The wiring is straight forward to, neg goes to the battery, I spliced the live in to the headlamp wiring so they come on with the ignition, then the earth is on one of the radiator bolts. :thumbup:

Hassle for wiring?

There's a really good guide floating around somewhere, will see if I can find it...

There's a really good guide floating around somewhere, will see if I can find it...

vRSCarl was one of the pioneers, but I don't think he published a comprehensive 'How to Guide', I'd be happy to advise if anyone wants to have a go. :thumbup:

Edited by Pagey1255

vRSCarl was one of the pioneers, but I don't think he published a comprehensive 'How to Guide', I'd be happy to advise if anyone wants to have a go. :thumbup:

Ah, thanks for the reminder. He did of sorts:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/167065-drl-fitted-working-tutorial/page__view__findpost__p__2035806

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/167281-blue-bullet-drl-version-2/page__view__findpost__p__2037934

With a bit of guidance it is a piece of cake, the hardest part is probably cutting out the lower grille inserts, but they are only about 4 quid each if it all goes pete tong. The wiring is straight forward to, neg goes to the battery, I spliced the live in to the headlamp wiring so they come on with the ignition, then the earth is on one of the radiator bolts. :thumbup:

What did you use to bond the DRL to the grille bit? Also, can you just get the grille parts already colour coded direct from Skoda?

Edited by Foz

I a word.......CARP!! they are almost the same as the type Carl and I had to start with, I think Carl is using them in his boot know, I through mine in the bin.....!

What did you use to bond the DRL to the grille bit? Also, can you just get the grille parts already colour coded direct from Skoda?

The lights come with a fitting bracket that can be screwed or fixed with 3M tape (provided).

No, the grille inserts are black plastic, but as they are smooth you can achieve a very good result with a few cans of spray paint. I did colour code my first set.........

post-41023-12907861872338_thumb.jpg

post-41023-12907865150015_thumb.jpg

Which I also modified to accomodate a CAI pipe, but tbh I didn't like the look, so I redone them matt black which is almost the same as standard. :thumbup:

These look better http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/High-Power-5-LED-10W-Daytime-Running-Light-DRL-F-AUDI-/190450863127?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c57c18c17

almost like the ones in your link and are a bit cheaper, not sure on any kind of fitting kit though?

Will ask.

Edited by martziniuk

These look better http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/High-Power-5-LED-10W-Daytime-Running-Light-DRL-F-AUDI-/190450863127?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c57c18c17

almost like the ones in your link and are a bit cheaper, not sure on any kind of fitting kit though?

Will ask.

They are the same as mine, but cheaper and with a far superior plug design! Nice find. :thumbup:

They are the same as mine, but cheaper and with a far superior plug design! Nice find. :thumbup:

May not be cheaper if you have to buy 2 of em

From item description

Package including:1 × High Power Daytime Running Light

???