Gear change display in Maxidot

Is there any way the display showing what gear you are currently in, on the Maxidot, can be disabled. I actually find it useful to be reminded of the gear selected, but the display insists on advising you what gear you should be in! Inappropriate in the vRS, I would have thought, as economy is not the main reason for buying this model! It only seems happy when it has you in 6th at any speed over 30mph. Mine is a manual, petrol model.

Is there any way the display showing what gear you are currently in, on the Maxidot, can be disabled. I actually find it useful to be reminded of the gear selected, but the display insists on advising you what gear you should be in! Inappropriate in the vRS, I would have thought, as economy is not the main reason for buying this model! It only seems happy when it has you in 6th at any speed over 30mph. Mine is a manual, petrol model.

I know tell me about it I think its stupid! the engine as good as wants to die a 30mph in 6th! Have a look in the maxidot settings to see if you can get rid of it, iv just been too lazy to look :giggle:

Stokevrs is quite right - this feature is complete pants. It's useful to know which gear you are in at times, but that's as far as it goes. I've got a 1.8Tsi which has this 'feature'. Sod the economy - the engine is quite remarkable for a petrol. The economy though is pretty good considering and I have always been a diesel fan, but this 1.8 has got me hooked.

What makes it remarkable is the bhp to torque ratio - the torque is a lot more than the average bhp to torque ratio for a petrol engine. As an aside - if you are thinking of a 1.8Tsi - you won't regret it, obviously it's not a Vrs, but a top end of 130 plus and 0-60 in under 8 seconds isn't exactly hanging around. I like the fact that it looks understated.

I'd just be interested to see how stokevrs has managed to show this on a manual car.I

The info appears in the top right of the display, opposite the time. It was there from day 1!

Just been driving a tdi Yeti, no idea what size engine, courtesy car whilst mine had it's cam belt changed, and I have to agree that the gear change indicator is totally useless, the engine was labouring if you followed the indicators suggestion.

Yes, facelift only, pre-facelift hasn't got gear indicator. The facelift also has oil temp on maxidot.

I think it's only recent facelift models too... Skoda seem to have phased it in starting with the 1.4 and 1.8TSi engines and then the rest of the range came later (I know early FL vRS cars don't have the change indicator)

I think the oil indicator maybe all FL maxidot cars though

Edited by Raglits

It's annoying even on my DSG car. If I'm in D all I want it to show is D. If I've moved it to manual then fine show me the gear. Having it show D1, D2, D..7 is just a distraction. If I gave a hoot about what gear the car is in I wouldn't have bought an automatic - picking the right gear is its problem not mine, and I don't want a running commentary.

Interesting to see that on the manuals it is prompting for an early change up. The DSG gets to D6 or D7 when pottering around town at 30 mph, and that's with just the 1.4 TSI, mind you it changes down very quickly when required. Lovely gearbox, but no need for it to show-off its machinations.

Just got my FL VRS with maxidot and it does not have the gear displayed so seems a little random if your car has this or not. But I do have the oil temp.

Edited by PSM