I'm going to be a Dad!

foey

We found out my girlfriend was pregnant the other week, had the scan last week and all is fine.

I have to say, I was very shocked - was not planned but more than wanted. We both have been together for almost 6 years now and have a 3 bedroom house together. I've just turned 26 and my girlfriend is 27 this year.

I'm still taking it in! However, I'm begining to get a little excited now :)

So guys, any tips for being a dad?

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by foey

congratulations i became a dad last week for the first time, and as above make the most of your sleep now as you wont get one once baby arrives!

Congratulations mate :- What did you have?

Congratulations to you both, I became a dad on 20th may this year to Maisie Isabella and it's the best thing in the world, it changes your whole aspect on life!

We arrived at Ashford MLU at 1am in the morning and I never slept for best part of 60 hours after that, it's amazing what coffee and adrenaline does!

In the hospital don't get upset as your girlfriend will probably get quite emotional, my wife did and if they get aggy, don't be offended, just remeber you arn't the one having to push a small melon out of a very tight, small hole (not being too graphic). 

Also, she may get very, very, very, very emotional during the pregnancy, so just give her plenty of slack!

Towards the end of the pregnancy, we used a TENS machine and it worked for my wife for pain relief, this is the one we used:

http://www.bootsmate...-TENS-Rental--1

As a side note, after the birth, have a long hard few drags on the Entonox gas, all dads must have a go on that!!! lol

Like other have said, get sleep, lots of sleep!!

Hope all goes well in the pregnancy!

Ben

Edited by Conshine

Congartulations. Being a Dad is the best thing, it's wierd when they are born, you suddenly get this sense of having something so important to you and you would gladly lay down your life for them (hopefully that wont be needed lol). The time flies though, my son is now 7 and I dont know where the time has gone.

Totally agree with the sleep thing, have lie-ins now while you can! Def go for the Entonox, but dont wait until after the birth, have a few drags as soon as you get there, its great stuff.

Be as supportive as possible to your better half as she will definately get emotional at some point, she probably wont even let you know, so just remember to ask her how she's feeling and tell her she looks great.

One small thing is skin on skin contact, its reckoned that it really important for dad's to do this with babies. Top off with the baby in just a nappy cuddled into you.

Anyway good luck and enjoy ;)

Sound to me like you got "a little excited" a few weeks back :giggle:

Congrats........:thumbup:

lol! :D

Congratulations to you both, I became a dad on 20th may this year to Maisie Isabella and it's the best thing in the world, it changes your whole aspect on life!

We arrived at Ashford MLU at 1am in the morning and I never slept for best part of 60 hours after that, it's amazing what coffee and adrenaline does!

In the hospital don't get upset as your girlfriend will probably get quite emotional, my wife did and if they get aggy, don't be offended, just remeber you arn't the one having to push a small melon out of a very tight, small hole (not being too graphic). 

Also, she may get very, very, very, very emotional during the pregnancy, so just give her plenty of slack!

Towards the end of the pregnancy, we used a TENS machine and it worked for my wife for pain relief, this is the one we used:

http://www.bootsmate...-TENS-Rental--1

As a side note, after the birth, have a long hard few drags on the Entonox gas, all dads must have a go on that!!! lol

Like other have said, get sleep, lots of sleep!!

Hope all goes well in the pregnancy!

Ben

Thanks for the advice Ben, big help :)

Advice hmm well where do we start. - Beyond the jokes of lack of sleep :D

Ignore ANY SPECIFIC advice given by other parents as every child is different even within the same family, and you will find that your child will be unique in what it s wants & needs are.

Generic advice:-

1) When a baby cries its either - Hungry -Wet - Tired - Teething or Bored.

2) Make sure you set a routine & stick to it, specially once you have a child & not a baby ( you will know this :) )

Finally

Make sure that when you say no, you actually mean it and follow through . ( next time you are in a supermarket or walking round town, listen to the parents that say no to sweets etc, then give in later )

Anything beyond this is a real learning experience, like most of life sometimes good & sometimes bad. But it is an experience that any parent on here would say is worthwhile.

Hope this is of some use.

Edited by lfc958

Congratulations - IME most of the advice you get given is wrong, so if something doesn't work after a few tries, sack it off and try something else! After no baby is going to be happy if its parents aren't...

Oh, and enjoy it!

:)

Many congratulations,

The one tip I was given as an expectant father was to buy the biggest bed you could afford/fit in your room!, the father that told me this had the habit of allowing his wee one into his bed through the night.

We have never allowed our wee one into our bed through the night, but the big bed still came in as a godsend, as your other half gets bigger and bigger you will be amazed at how much space they command :giggle:

Secondly, dont be too tempted to go daft and spend a fortune on 0-3 even 3-6 month clothing, you will have it coming out of your ears when baby arrives, people love buying tiny clothes and its a shame that some of the stuff only got one wear before they grow out of it.

Other than that my final tip is to wear sunscreen, oh no thats Baz Luhrmann, its to enjoy everything! Enjoy your peace now, enjoy getting some nookie in before everyones too tired, enjoy the birth and enjoy the time when the wee one doesnt know how to say "NO" :D It does fly by so fast!

Errmmmm, a baby.......??? :rofl:

Congrats mate. Relax, enjoy it, look after the missus, and prepare for a totaly life changing experiance.

a girl we've named her Amelia, 7lb 9oz, partner was in labour for only 7 hours, the midwife in the hospital said 1st time mums normally in labour for 24 hours plus so think the mrs had it easy lol

Congratulations. Really hope all goes well for you both. I was never hinted at trying the gas.... :( feel I've missed out now... :rofl:

I would say make time to spend time with them, and I always got down on the floor (his level) to play. Spent hours and hours pushing him around on his toys and building towers and reading books with him. Must have paid off as he thinks I'm the bees knees now and gets so excited to see me... B)

Congratulations. Really hope all goes well for you both. I was never hinted at trying the gas.... :( feel I've missed out now... :rofl:

I would say make time to spend time with them, and I always got down on the floor (his level) to play. Spent hours and hours pushing him around on his toys and building towers and reading books with him. Must have paid off as he thinks I'm the bees knees now and gets so excited to see me... B)

i'm working on making sure mine will be a "daddys girl" shes only 10days old

:giggle: Our little one will be 2 in November and he already loves cars, especially sitting in the drivers seat and messing about with the steering wheel ad gear lever. He knows where to put the key and to my amazement turned the key to start cranking the engine.... :giggle:

Congratulations.

My wife's due date for our first is in two weeks.

We're at the stage of jumping between being excited and terrified.

Tips.

Take everything you're offered. Lots of people have baby stuff lying around just waiting on someone to give it to.

If you're going to go on holiday before the birth do it sooner than later.

Well , to be fair , I have never been a Daddy , but I have a Mummy

Just remember , they dont come with handbooks :giggle:

But you will be supprised at how it all comes together though when the baby arrives

All books do and research is makes you worry

Dont worry , relax , enjoy and have fun , as has been said they do grow up very very quickly , then you wonder where the time has gone

Then they will be asking about boyfriend , girlfriends , cars wanting a motorbike :no:

Time flies

Yes , you would do ANYTHING for them , and when they get older , they do you proud

My little girl is 22 and gets married in a few months in Cuba , my son is 25 and is saving up for a house

They make me so proud :'( and believe me , thay are worth every penny , every ounce of pain you get

Congratulations

Sarah

Something else I thought about is to be calm around them, especially with your friends/family that they may not have seen before. I'm meaning if you're uptight and nervous they will pick up on it. Also I really enjoyed just pushing him around in his pram on an evening, with him busy being nosy looking at everything... :giggle:

And indeed don't be too proud to turn down help or toys etc. We've been very lucky with friends giving us toys that would have set us back hundreds if we had bought them.. :thumbup:

Thinking about it don't buy any toys. Our son is quite happy with his small brush, mop, toy vacuum cleaner and a few balls. But most of all loves playing in the garden, will spend hours out there.

Edited by Captain Scarlet

Be grateful that the medical profession now admit that dads do get wife's pregnant - on the days of my first -that wasn't the case - she had to go for checks on her own - I'd have liked to sit with her -but no - "It's not allowed" . Then when she went in - "Go home - we'll let you know " .

That happened twice- second one as a rush to hospital, to come out next day ,where I was told that I could not accompany her home in ambulance -someone had to be at home to receive her .

,and by the 80's a revolution had happened - a major step in medicine - women did not get pregnant without a partner - and the partner was included ( on my case ,it was intimated that handcuffs were available).I wanted to be part of the event . I got my wish ,and child three was a SON .AND I WAS THERE ,HOLDING HER HAND AND BEING PART OF IT .I was also there for no four -another son ,but by now I was becoming an expert .

My advice - get involved as much as possible - it takes two to produce ,and a kid is best brought up with two parents .Enjoy -love - and enjoy .

Fortunately nappy changing ow needs no pins -so even if it's a son - there's no need to stick hand down front to prevent safety pin doing him a NASTY .Blokes - can you imagine being a dad on the 70's ,putting a Terry nappy on a son ,where it's fastened in front , with a dirty great safety pin , just in front of the bits you'd not like a pin stuck in . My idea - stick hand down front - at worst you get jabbed - it's only yer finger .

Congratulations!

It's certainly been interesting for us so far and we're not due for another two months.

SWMBO has had a few problems, gestational diabetes and lots of colds and flu along the way so she hasn't been too well.

But it'll all be worth it when our little girl arrives!

I don't think we have accepted yet that we are about to be parents!! :D

Congratulations!

It's certainly been interesting for us so far and we're not due for another two months.

SWMBO has had a few problems, gestational diabetes and lots of colds and flu along the way so she hasn't been too well.

But it'll all be worth it when our little girl arrives!

I don't think we have accepted yet that we are about to be parents!! :D

Rob -you have my sympathy ,as well as congrats - my youngest had gestational diabetes - with other problems ( she was 33 when GS was born) - fortunately I have diabetic resources ,so I could help her with testing /disposal etc -something our NHS didn't think of .Possibly now she knows a bit more of my disorder .On the other hand ,my GS ,born on Ceaserian at 2Kg ( somewhat like his granddad and uncle - I was a tad over 4 lb , my son was 2kg ) - is now a heavyweight - at a year old - he's a right heavy ,and into everything . If she's a light baby - possibly because of the diabetes conflict - good care and feeding will make the difference - forget the NHS crap -feed and love .Oh -and most of all - enjoy - not forgetting to be there - I've only been there for two of my four - again thanks to NHS - but it's something once seen and experienced ,you'll never ever forget .At the time of birth - you'll need her ,and I can assure you that she'll need ( and appreciate you ) being there - no amount of drugs /gas and air can make up for the presence of your partner ( so Mrs V tells me -she only wishes I'b been at the birth of our first ) .Mind you - my hand was swollen for days after where she'd been squeezing it -but that's love .

So -to all intending dads -my message - get missus to INSIST that hubby/partner be there at the moment that Jnr POPS OUT - you'll never regret it . Take my word for it .