TFSI VS PD170

Just wondered if anyone on here has driven them both or indeed owned both? i am thinking about trading my PD in for a petrol version as im not doing the miles anymore and wantted to know how does the TFSI compaire?

i know MPG will differ but all i want to know do the cars handle different? what about mid range power and what sort of MPG are people getting out of TFSI?

thanks shaun

It all depends!!!!

In standard form my TFSI would average about 33mpg. Good motorway runs would touch 37-38 & round town about 25.

However on one spirited run I managed to get into single figures (and serious brake fade) :o

All of these are based on brim to brim measurements and GPS mileage on 98RON, as the MFD display does tend to be a bit "optimistic" at times!

In modified form round town is about 23. Average is now about 31, but a good motorway run can see 40 :yes:

There is an argument both ways for the use of 95RON or 98RON fuels. The site is full of threads about it. My personal 2p's worth was that when the car was standard I did notice a drop in power & economy when i was on 95RON, so gave up on that early on! There are others who have found no noticeable difference.

The handling will be different as you haven't got the weight of he diesel lump up front, but you will loose the midrange torque, so the "shove in the back" is different too. I'd say try one out first. If you've been used to diesel for a while, the TFSI might not be to your taste anyway.

Edited by uncle bulgaria

I drive 30 miles a day on a fast single carriageway 'A' road with some villages on the way. I get 35-38mpg.

Motorway at a steady 70mph - 35mpg

Motorway at a steady 80mph - 32mpg

Driving - I tested both before buying the petrol. I don't remember there being an awful lot between them.

I came from small diesels to the TFSI and I do remember thinking that the petrol is very torquey.

Remember if you're doing any calculations on running costs the TFSI needs super unleaded.

Not everyone notices a difference but personally I do between SU and supermarket standard. Less of an issue using quality fuel but I've not tried Shell's new 95 RON fuel.

The petrol will depreciate more quickly so you have to factor that in against resale values.

Can't comment on reliability other than my TFSI has been faultless to date (3yr 2month 35k miles). Dervs seem to be a bit more troublesome judging by posts on the site.

Personal opinion - if you're not doing the miles to really need a diesel get a petrol. Lots of good deals out for used low mileage TFSI Octys.

Edited by Aspman

I've had mine for 4 months now and already put 10k on the clock!

Mine has been Sharked also ;) the performance is incredible, smooth and tourqey all the way through the rev range.

Most of my driving is done on the motorway, and sitting at 75-80 mph on the motorway il get 43 mpg all day long - mine is the newer TSI though.

Even at slightly higher speeds i'll still get 39 mpg easily.

I never bother with super unleaded really, just make sure i run it on good quality fuel - only fill up at BP or Shell :thumbup:

Thanks for the replys

so is there 2 different engines in the VRS petrols then? newer unit and a older unit?

i do love my diesel and i love the mid range pull, just dont want anything to go wrong with it because i will be doing town driving.

I owned the PD for a year before suffering from the dreaded DPF issues. Traded it in for a new Tsi petrol which has been revo'd. The difference is night and day. Petrol is far nicer to drive in day to day conditions, is smoother, faster, and now has more pull in the mid-range. As i only do 10k, I couldnt give a monkey's about the extra fuel consumption.

I get over 45 mpg on the VRS TSI, with all the 50-55 mpg road works ie can get the range to go to over 600 miles actually!

Had a 140 hp diesel (DSG) and the TSIs are almost as good fuel consumption but massively more fun than diesels.

Ordered the 1.8 TSI with 7 speed DSG which many people forget but is, I think, impressive for peformance, economy and value compared to other Octavias and any other similar sized car IMHO.

Look at the figures and feedback.....

we had a petrol vrs and sold it for a diesel vrs, the wife moaned about how 'lifeless and heavy' the PD was in comparison to the petrol.

She's now got a petrol Vrs again (soon to be sharked) and has a smile on her face once more :thumbup:

Thanks for the replys

so is there 2 different engines in the VRS petrols then? newer unit and a older unit?

i do love my diesel and i love the mid range pull, just dont want anything to go wrong with it because i will be doing town driving.

The TSI was first introduced last year (the LE was the first to get it, then it is standard on all facelift models). As has been said, you get slightly more power and a little bit better economy, so the gap has narrowed again in terms of mpg between petrol and diesel. The other advantage is that instead of a cambelt that needs replacing every few years it now has a chain that doesn't, so in theory you save a bit in servcing costs..

I owned TFSI for 3 years and now moved to the 170 cr, and after 5 weeks of driving in all conditions and roads I wish I went for the petrol again. The cr 170 engine is a good engine by diesel standards but is not a patch on the petrol when it comes to drivability, yes the torque is good but not as fast, smooth or fun. I find it does not have the flexibility of the petrol always having to change down a gear at roundabouts and it won't drive at 30 mph in 6th unlike the petrol. In fact you have to be doing 50 mph before you can put it into 6th. What the diesel does do, is make you a slower driver that is happy cruising along and achieving 48 mpg over a week of 600 miles, I used too achieve around 31 mpg over the same distance. So for me the petrol is by far the best if money is no object, but can be expensive if you drive it like it's supposed to be driven.

Edited by Vrs2

How are you managing so many more MPG than everyone else?

I have had 44.1mpg indicated on the trip computer on a run across the A69..once you get stuck behind something large at a steady55-60 its just keeps on climbing..but to be honest its a rarity seeing that high

in comparison a run upto aberdeen from newcastle has seen me top at at 41mpg...faster driving but putting the cruise on and being sensible can see really quite acceptable figures for a fairly powerful petrol engine...and no need for 98 ron in the newer engine

Edited by FTM

I drive a Mk5 Golf GTI with the old petrol engine & a new CR engined VRS. Obviously they won't handle as evenly as 2 variations of the VRS but for what it's worth....

The Golf is much more resistant to understeer & is more fun than the VRS...you can feel the weight of the derv unit making the VRS more reluctant to change direction. However the ride of the VRS is much better than the Golf...although that's nowhere near as hard as my VX220! :o

I'd say that for 85% of driving the VRS is the nicer car to be in & it does handle quite well....but when you really want to drive, the Golf betters the VRS...it's just more fun.

Now to the engines...The newer petrol unit seems more ecconomical than the one in the Golf...31-32 is about my average, 34-35 if I keep it at 70-80ish...the CR VRS however gives me 46-47 average and 52-54 at m'way speeds....with a best of 62mpg running at 55-65mph! The CR VRS is very smooth & much higher geared than the Golf so expect to be at least a gear lower in the derv compared to the petrol. performance is quite similar..the petrol unit has a lovely rush towards the redline & is nicely torquey but the CR engine has massive torque which gives it much more effortless performance though it starts to tighten up from 4.5-5K rpm.

I have to say I'm lucky to enjoy both cars as they both have great engines, if I had to pick one it would depend on my driving needs.

For lower than 10K a year I'd go for the petrol unit...it's more fun & involving. For over 10K I'd pick a CR unit...very nice for everyday driving & great mpg.

I hope that helps. ;)

I currently run a vrs TSI, and on my daily 7 mile commute through leeds, I'm averaging 34mpg (if i drive slower i can get 37mpg)

On a motorway run at between 70-80 I'm getting around 40mpg

On a long run from Leeds to Anglesey using a mixture of motorway and the A5 (with lots of overtaking) I averaged 42mpg over 380 miles. Considering my old car (focus 1.8tdci) would manage 49mpg on the same run, I'm very impressed.

I have never driven the diesel engine, but chose the petrol because I mainly do short journeys now around town, and it would be likely that a DPF would be problematic for me.

How are you managing so many more MPG than everyone else?

I am totally confident that getting 48 mpg is quite acheivable and this is the Extra Urban figure for the TSI VRS and that is travelling most the time at the nominal limit plus 10% ie 77 mph on motorways, 55 mph through the M25 road works where possible extra. I have received quite a lot of advance driver training working as a Officer of Her Majesty and using good driving techniques makes a huge difference. Driving sometimes in the SE of England riuns fuel consumption as the traffic is so bad. Low fuel consumption is a good metric of a poor driver IMHO (and my boys in blue instructors).

I owned TFSI for 3 years and now moved to the 170 cr, and after 5 weeks of driving in all conditions and roads I wish I went for the petrol again. The cr 170 engine is a good engine by diesel standards but is not a patch on the petrol when it comes to drivability, yes the torque is good but not as fast, smooth or fun. I find it does not have the flexibility of the petrol always having to change down a gear at roundabouts and it won't drive at 30 mph in 6th unlike the petrol. In fact you have to be doing 50 mph before you can put it into 6th. What the diesel does do, is make you a slower driver that is happy cruising along and achieving 48 mpg over a week of 600 miles, I used too achieve around 31 mpg over the same distance. So for me the petrol is by far the best if money is no object, but can be expensive if you drive it like it's supposed to be driven.

Actually the diesel has made me a faster driver because it gets great mpg even when it's being driven hard so I don't have to worry about fuel economy as I do in the petrol plus I can't see that driving any car in sixth at 30mph being a good idea so I don't see that as a downside. My main issue with the TDI is simply the DPF which time will tell if it's going to be a problem or not, I prefer the effortless pull of the diesel engine for spirited driving compared to petrols which always feel to me like they need to be worked so hard in comparison. I really missed my TDI as the Nurburgring as the 200bhp I had hired needed such a thrashing before its engine would get going although admittedly it's known to be bad for that.

John

I find it does not have the flexibility of the petrol always having to change down a gear at roundabouts and it won't drive at 30 mph in 6th unlike the petrol. In fact you have to be doing 50 mph before you can put it into 6th.

Is this not to do with the taller gearing of the diesel. What revs are you doing in 6th at 70mph. In the diesel it is 2k but I suspect it will be much higher than this in the petrol. The diesel does have a more limited rev range but as long as you are in the right gear then it drives perfectly quickly. If you go from a petrol to a diesel you need to modify the driving style/gear selection but once this is optimised for the diesel I do not think it is any less fun than the petrol (and I have had both petrol and diesel VRSs).