Needle Sweep

If I recall a little while ago someone was asking about the "Needle Sweep" and they posted a YouTube video.

I found this in the adaption menu on the instrument controller.

It's classed as "Staging" and on mine it was "not active" I changed this to "active" then got a message saying it had been accepted.

I then turned ignition off then on and it did nothing so I thought it hadn't worked, I did the adaption last night then this morning when I went out hey presto the needles swept across!

I reckon I should have removed the ignition key then tried it.

I did this on a FL model so I know it's in the adaption menu older models someone will have to have a look!

BIG Nick :)

If I recall a little while ago someone was asking about the "Needle Sweep" and they posted a YouTube video.

It's classed as "Staging" and on mine it was "not active" I changed this to "active" then got a message saying it had been accepted.

I then turned ignition off then on and it did nothing so I thought it hadn't worked, I did the adaption last night then this morning when I went out hey presto the needles swept across!

I did this on a FL model so I know it's in the adaption menu older models someone will have to have a look!

BIG Nick :)

just think of the extra wear and tear on the motors.

Over all the cars I've owned I've never had a motor on a dash fail!!

My 2006 Astravan I just got rid of had 243k on it's clock and no dash problems and it's still going as a family member bought it!

My old Mazda6 did this, but only as an indication that the battery was getting weak! Sure enough, a couple of days after it did the needle sweep I came out of work to find the battery dead as a dodo.

So what was the change and under which section on vcds.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to checking this one out - Thanks Big Nick for the tip - Got my 2010 Octy Elegance to needle sweep..

It looks great and my little boy thinks it's the coolest thing ever. We had 4 instances of "Do it again daddy" before he would finally get out of the car.

:thumbup:

Finally got round to checking this one out - Thanks Big Nick for the tip - Got my 2010 Octy Elegance to needle sweep..

It looks great and my little boy thinks it's the coolest thing ever. We had 4 instances of "Do it again daddy" before he would finally get out of the car.

:thumbup:

No problems :thumbup:

• 8 years later...
Just now, deejaystar said:

Sweep and staging is the same thing?

Yup, needle sweep and staging both refer to the same thing.

Assuming your cluster supports it (not all do), it should just need an adaption channel changing with VCDS or similar. It'll be called something like staging or indicator celebration if I remember correctly.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, deejaystar said:

I see. Problem is I have no idea how to get there. Could you post a tutorial, please?

You could at least try and use google to solve this yourself and then ask questions when you're stuck ;)

Firstly, checkout the manual for VCDS to give yourself an idea of how it works: https://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/main_screen.php

There is a helpful index showing where each function is:

Main Screen  (you are here)
          Select Control Module
               Open Controller Screen

Adaptation - 10 / Long Adaptation - 0A

Which then tells you how to use adaptions: https://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/adaptation_screen.php

If that doesn't help, there are plenty of youtube videos, for example this one:

Simples! :D

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, deejaystar said:

I see. Problem is I have no idea how to get there. Could you post a tutorial, please?

Or, using the Carista app, just click on Yes next to Needle Sweep.

• Like 1