Cornering Fogs? Any benefit?

rob_e

Hi,

I used this guide as a start point as although the controller is the same (09 Central Electronics) the location of the byte you need to change will depend on the model and year of car.

Mine and all the others i've done (Mk2 face lift vrs's and one non vrs) was just a check box (not a drop down) like what's shown in the image, and was around bit6/7 - just cycle through the long code helper until you see somthing like "Active turn lights via foglights"

Guide http://octavia-vrs.com/cms/content/enabling-cornering-light-function

If you want exact locations I could probably post a pic, but I can't at the moment.

Phil

Shame you cant adjust the amout of steering lock before they come on.

Was just outside posting company letters, saw a Skoda with them enabled negotiate a roundabout and it looked like it had a wiring fault !

Almost certain pre-FL can if the correct module is installed. :thumbup:

Is there anyway of finding out which modules allows this feature and if so how do you find which module my car has?

I have a 2008 Scout and my dealer said it wasn't possible on my car :'(

Is there anyway of finding out which modules allows this feature and if so how do you find which module my car has?

I have a 2008 Scout and my dealer said it wasn't possible on my car :'(

Don't quote me on this, but if you can find a member locally with a VCDS I think they well be able to tell you, I am paying vRSCarl a visit on Sunday and if we have time, I think he may have a look at enabling a few goodies on mine, if they work for me, then they should for you as mine is a 2006MY. :thumbup:

Thanks Pagey,

I noticed earlier in this thread that someone with a 2007 MY had managed to activate them - that's what pricked my ears up.

Please keep us posted if you manage it on yours!

Anyone with VCDS in York who fancies a case of beer for their efforts?

Thanks Pagey,

I noticed earlier in this thread that someone with a 2007 MY had managed to activate them - that's what pricked my ears up.

Please keep us posted if you manage it on yours!

Anyone with VCDS in York who fancies a case of beer for their efforts?

Auroan :thumbup:

As it uses the foglights, it works with either type of headlight.

I have a 2010 FL vRS 170

I did not order xenon lights.

I asked my dealer about this option and they said only available on Superb and Octy with xenons.

So you say I can enable it then?

Must give my buddy a shot that has the vagcom emoticon-0148-yes.gif

thanks

I have a MY08 and have this activated. They come on as I turn at low speed and also with the idicators (so as to light your exit on a roundabout say, as you will be turning the opposite way when negotiating it.) They don't both come on in reverse, they don't activate at all in reverse in fact. I have Xenons so find the light they give almost none as the xenons are so bright anyway. This feature is becoming more and more common in cars. I first saw it on a Merc (and thought it had a light out :dull::giggle:)

I have a 2010 FL vRS 170

I did not order xenon lights.

I asked my dealer about this option and they said only available on Superb and Octy with xenons.

So you say I can enable it then?

Must give my buddy a shot that has the vagcom emoticon-0148-yes.gif

thanks

Another prime example of dealers knowing nothing about the cars they flog :dull:

I thought I'd read on here on one of the many 'DRL / Cornering Fogs' threads that cars that use their fogs as cornering lights had slightly different lenses, or at least they were some how approved / marked differently to the same car with standard fog lights.

Could be wrong though!

For cornering fogs you need a 23byte Central Electrics control module. Generally found on 57 plate cars onwards (although some late 07 plates have the controller).

Using fog lights as a cornering light is not illegal due and looking at cars which have it as standard I can't see any difference in the lenses on them to mine. They only work under about 20mph and if you pick adaptive this is IMHO better. This means say for example you are going around a roundabout your right hand light will be on. However if you indicate left it cancels the one on the right and illuminates the left light.

I find it really useful especially on some of the dark narrow unlit roads near where I work. Has stopped me hitting a few potholes that otherwise I probably would have missed.

Each to their own I suppose. :)

I had these enabled about 6 months ago and to be honest, the fogs on the vRS arent that bright anyway so not really worth the hastle, i think i will turn em back off the next time its on VCDS :wonder:

maybe i need brighter fog light bulbs?

:giggle: :giggle:

Also i have maxidot and there is no reference to cornering fogs in there either