Flashing Glow Plug Light

My 2003 1.9tdi has a number of issues, often it will just stop for no apparent reason when it's cold. Sometimes when driving along the glow plug light starts flashing.

Have I got a problem with duff glow plugs or is it trying to tell me something else?

Flashing glowplug light is a general "something's wrong" warning. A fault code scan is probably the best bet - it may be worth seeing if a member near you can help before you take it to a dealer...

I had a flashing glow plug light a couple of months ago - popped down to the independant I use and the first thing I was asked was 'are the brake lights working?' Apparently if the brake light switch is faulty it lights the glow plug light - worth checking out perhaps?

The brake light switch (on the brake pedal) is the favourite thing as they are a common problem.

The flashing glow plug light whilst driving will have nothing at all to do with the glow plugs as they are only used prior to starting the engine, but as ap0gee said it is a general warning that something is wrong.

Look on the VCDS owners map and find a member local to you (click on their profile to see if they are still an active member, if they are send them a PM).

My 2003 1.9tdi has a number of issues, often it will just stop for no apparent reason when it's cold. Sometimes when driving along the glow plug light starts flashing.

Have I got a problem with duff glow plugs or is it trying to tell me something else?

hi mate i had a flashing glowplug light and i took it to skoda what it was there is some kind of fluid which is put in the rear of your car under were the spare wheel iskept its something to do with the cat i think but only skoda can do it so they say i was told the vessel holds about 4 ltr and it just wanted topping up it took 2 ltrs but hey its cost about £30 ltr mate hope this helps mate

hi mate i had a flashing glowplug light and i took it to skoda what it was there is some kind of fluid which is put in the rear of your car under were the spare wheel iskept its something to do with the cat i think but only skoda can do it so they say i was told the vessel holds about 4 ltr and it just wanted topping up it took 2 ltrs but hey its cost about £30 ltr mate hope this helps mate

:no: no - that's the DPF and there isn't one of those fitted to 1.9TDi models (I take it you've got a 2.0 TDi)

Edited by sidewaze samm

:no: no - that's the DPF and there isn't one of those fitted to 1.9TDi models (I take it you've got a 2.0 TDi)

What's a DPF? What does it do and why hasn't the 1.9 got one? Should I feel left out?

Syanide

OK, I took the car to the dealer today and they said it looked like the ECU was faulty.

So my question, is it possible to have a secondhand ECU coded to my car.

They also said there was a Canbus error which was why the Comfort Control Module was playing up. Not the module itself as it's new.

My old Merc would flash the glow plug light for around 20 seconds after starting as a warning that one or more of the glowplugs had failed , i was told the 2.0l pd engine did the same

What's a DPF? What does it do and why hasn't the 1.9 got one? Should I feel left out?

Syanide

Diesel Particulate Filter / (way to get cleaner emissions from a diesel + PITA for urban-only drivers, especially when combined with botch-up system on Superb 1 + way to transfer contents of your wallet to local stealer) = no, you're not missing out.

I had the glow plug light flashing and an engine workshop warning message come on a couple of months ago in Italy. I took the car to the Skoda agent in Trieste and they said it was a fuel level sensor in the tank that was faulty and I need to top up the tank and not rely on the fuel guage or miles till empty reading until it was fixed. I went on to Croatia and then back home and filled up every 400 to 500 miles to avoid running out, though the guage seemed to still give accurate readings!

I took the car to White Dove in Cardiff for repair. It was three years old in March this year, but they took up the matter with Skoda, who paid for the part (about £300!) and I paid 1/2hour labour, which was a good result!