Dont' Use The Boot Opening Button

Ray_Green

I was just leaving the local supermarket, when I noticed an RAC Patrol trying to break in to a VAG car. The driver had used the boot opening button on the remote, put the keys on the boot floor, loaded in the shopping and shut the boot.

I have warned my good lady about this issue. It seams to me that this is the only way to lock yourself out of a VAG motor, but I'm ready to be corrected ;)

I was just leaving the local supermarket, when I noticed an RAC Patrol trying to break in to a VAG car. The driver had used the boot opening button on the remote, put the keys on the boot floor, loaded in the shopping and shut the boot.

I have warned my good lady about this issue. It seams to me that this is the only way to lock yourself out of a VAG motor, but I'm ready to be corrected emoticon-0105-wink.gif

Wise advice. The problem is not the button but the act of closing the boot.

I try to keep the keys in my pocket but, as the boot relocks when using this button, disaster is imminent. To solve this problem just unlock the whole car using the bottom button then a boot re-lock is eliminated.

Edited by Terfyn

I have warned my good lady about this issue. It seams to me that this is the only way to lock yourself out of a VAG motor, but I'm ready to be corrected ;)

I also warned The Boss never to use the boot button on the remote after I locked myself out of the car - fortunately I was outside the house and was able to open it with the spare keys. It would be all too easy to take the dog for a walk to a remote location only to find yourself locked out of the car with your keys, phone and doggy inside.

On most of the VAG cars now you can open the WHOLE car on the main unlock button and if you just enter the boot and close the boot, you risk it locking on you again. I think my fabia re-locks itself after about 30 seconds, but then I am highly skilled in putting the keys back in my pocket again after unlocking. ;)

My favourite one was a 535d msport I had for a while. I had popped the boot lid after locking the car, put my jacket in the boot with car keys in. Then I shut the boot. It then sprung open. With keyless entry you can't lock the keys in the car. I really wanted this on my SM, but it is only an option on the Superb.

Mike

I've done this in my Mk1 Fabia VRS. Sadly my only door keys were on the same keyring so I could not go home and get the spare car key (another lesson learned!). It took the recovery people about 4 hours to get in, eventually by prizing open the drivers door with an inflatable pad, enough to get a wire in, to wind down the back window. Then the guy was in through the window like a gazelle to get the keys via the back seat ski hatch. If I'd had rear electric windows he reckons they would have had to smash the window (or I would have had to break into my own house).

On most of the VAG cars now you can open the WHOLE car on the main unlock button and if you just enter the boot and close the boot, you risk it locking on you again. I think my fabia re-locks itself after about 30 seconds, but then I am highly skilled in putting the keys back in my pocket again after unlocking. emoticon-0105-wink.gif

I am not sure this happens with the Yeti SE. With my Yeti - If you unlock using the "whole car" button and then open the boot, the "lock" timer is disabled just as it would be if you opened a door. Only if no door is opened does the timer relock after 30? seconds.

Edited by Terfyn

• 5 months later...

I have just found myself in this situation!!!!! was going a run on a mates bike so took my hoody off and threw it into the boot to put on a jacket, keys were in hoody:S

My spare set are in my student house... 100 mile away:( I think..

Maybe you should try this trick steve :thumbup:

http://www.labnol.org/gadgets/unlock-car-door-with-mobile-phone/4892/

That link is an utter load of TOSH!!!

Please explain how a moblie phone, that will only transmit SOUND unlock a car that uses RADIO waves to activate the system?

It was actually disproved on Myth Busters a while ago.

That link is an utter load of TOSH!!!

Please explain how a moblie phone, that will only transmit SOUND unlock a car that uses RADIO waves to activate the system?

It was actually disproved on Myth Busters a while ago.

calm down dear its only an advert :D ,

if you read some of the comments from people who have tried it it works for some and not others, and for the cost of phone theres no harm in trying is there? may save him a 200 mile round trip.

OK.

Can you explain how, when every Skoda (and all other cars) use nothing more than a radio transmission to activate the unlock system (and vica versa) that a mobile phone can do this?

Myth Busters proved it cannot work because a mobile cannot replicate a varying radio coding transmission. The only vehicles it worked on were some old Yanktanks that did actually use a sound transmission.

OK.

Can you explain how, when every Skoda (and all other cars) use nothing more than a radio transmission to activate the unlock system (and vica versa) that a mobile phone can do this?

Myth Busters proved it cannot work because a mobile cannot replicate a varying radio coding transmission. The only vehicles it worked on were some old Yanktanks that did actually use a sound transmission.

lol like i said above calm down dear, im only quoting what the website says and the posts below it. It probably wont work but theres no harm in trying it is there? even if its just for fits and giggles, dont take my posts so literally matey :giggle:

1/

I don't need to calm down, thank you. If you knew me you would know I'm almost horizontal!

2/

I'm not a matelot, so drop the matey.

3/

I'm just pointing out the scientific and logical inmpossibility of the stupid suggestions in that link, the reasons for that view, and who has proved it to be stupid!

4/

It's now gone 1 in the morning and I'm still blooody working!!!!!

This must qualify for the silliest threads of the year. I laways keep my keys in my pocket (along with money, hankey ...............)

The answer, of course, is a piece of string. Tie one end to your Yeti key and the other to yourself. Then, when you lock your key in the boot, you can be easily found by the AA man as you will be standing right by your car. SIMPLES.

Can't see the point of the boot release button on the Yeti key.

On our Fabia it unlatches the boot completely so you can open it without pushing the boot button.

But on the yeti it just semi-unlatches it, so you still have to press the button on the boot handle to open it anyway...

Can't see the point of the boot release button on the Yeti key.

On our Fabia it unlatches the boot completely so you can open it without pushing the boot button.

But on the yeti it just semi-unlatches it, so you still have to press the button on the boot handle to open it anyway...

I think this is a VCDS setting. You can change it so that it works the same way as your Fabia.

Yip, the same with the A2 - never ever use the boot button just in case. Mrs FB has a habbit of locking the car with her keys in the pocket, then closing the door. One day...

Last summer we were on our way home from a trip out; my wife popped to the shop while my son and I sat in her car. Unfortunately, she thought it would be funny to lock the car then unlock it - sadly, I forgot the car would then lock itself after 20 seconds.

So there an 11 month old FB junior and I in a glass-roofed A2 with black leather and all-electric windows when OAT is around 30C and the poxy alarm is going off. She was only 10 minutes but in no time at all we were cooking. To add insult, she thought it was funny as she walked up to the car with the alarm going off and me gesticulating, but she soon got the message when opening the door and being hit with a wall of heat and a distraught son. Not good.

Am I the only one on here who likes the system just the way it is?

Having a whole series of previous cars where the only way of opening the boot was either by putting a Key in the lock (remember those?) or via a remote button inside the car, you very quickly remember to make sure you've got your key in your hand - or pocket - before you shut the boot.It becomes second nature.

And, I think I'm right in saying that you can use the remote key fob to lock the car with any door open (except the drivers door), then put your keys inside the car if you really must, close the last door & bingo, you're locked out! Simple..... :giggle:

Now, if you really want a problem car, try a Peugeot convertible - any prior to 2009 with an electrically powered roof - where even with the key still in the ignition you could lock yourself out. Use the in-car release to open the boot (with the roof closed), get out, take something from the boot, close the boot lid, and ... oops, if you had let the driver's door close behind you, you are now locked out of your car with the keys still in the ignition. Following loads of complaints most cars will have been reprogrammed by now, but the problem was so serious that they even quoted in the sales literature for certain MY 2010 convertibles that they had "a modified central locking system". Now that's progress!!

Edited by speedsport