Winter tyres are for softies..................discuss

Brimma

I went out for a drive this evening on really badly hit local roads(for fun mainly) where there's 6 inches of snow. I live near dartford, m25 area which is very badly hit. I had no problems, the ABS never kicked in and the traction control didn't flash either. I love my winter tyres. I'd never go back to summer tyres because they are crap in this weather and unsafe. I also find more comfortable knowing i'm in a better position to avoid other summer tyre drivers who slip and slide dangerously everywhere...even when there's just 3 inches of snow.

I feel more of a hard nut than a softy because I outgunned a lorry and a range rover going up a hill. I was the only one that didn't wheel spin or need to brake. :thumbup:

that to me speaks volumes for safety and knowing you're more in control.

Edited by newskoda

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went out for a drive this evening on really badly hit local roads(for fun mainly) where there's 6 inches of snow

If you must go out driving for fun in weather conditions where most areas are suggesting you go out only if absolutely necessary, I'd hope that you would have appropriate tyres on :yes:

I'd be well p*ssed off if the taxpayers' money was being wasted on pulling someone out of a ditch, or worse, just because he wants to have a play in the snow :dull:

TBH while you could argue the cost issue on winter tyres, you could also arguing that making them mandatory over winter and 3mm+ tread on them, would save people more in taxes for councils to grit at the first hint of cold/snow.

There would, most likely, also be savings in police, fire brigade, ambulances and the hospitals.

TBH while you could argue the cost issue on winter tyres, you could also arguing that making them mandatory over winter and 3mm+ tread on them, would save people more in taxes for councils to grit at the first hint of cold/snow.

There would, most likely, also be savings in police, fire brigade, ambulances and the hospitals.

It will save a lot of time if traffic jams were smaller.

Only problem up here is the snow is so deep now that any tyres are useless as cars are bellying out. Dug a path to the road last night and we've had another 3 - 4 " of snow overnight. Back to square 1

If you must go out driving for fun in weather conditions where most areas are suggesting you go out only if absolutely necessary, I'd hope that you would have appropriate tyres on :yes:

I'd be well p*ssed off if the taxpayers' money was being wasted on pulling someone out of a ditch, or worse, just because he wants to have a play in the snow :dull:

yes that is why in my post I wrote I've got winter tyres :thumbup:

I also have snow socks, shovel and rock salt in a container kept in the boot of my car. No ******* bit of snow will stop me. Unlike the rest of the world it seems who use their credit cards to scrape the ice of their cars and can't afford proper hiking waterproof boots but they can afford very expensive cars. The mind boggles at their stupidity.

Edited by newskoda

Dear oh deary me.

Do you work for the H & S executivive?

Sound like a governmant lecture for sheeples. :wonder:

But next time read posts with care because I hate having to repeat myself :p

I understood the fact you had winter tyres - my point was about going out when it's totally unnecessary - maybe you hadn't grasped that :dull:

I am still in 2 minds over the debate, although the apparent lack of winter tyres available and the fact I can't find a reasonably priced set of 16" wheels have assisted in my desicion making!

In 20 years of driving I have never used winter tyres, but since driving the vRS in the snow earlier in the year I can definately see the benefit. I think the other point when people suggest the added expense, to be fair you only need consider the cost of the wheels, as while the winter tyres are on, the summer ones will be tucked up in the garage. And don't forget insurance excesses! These can sometimes cost more than a decent set of winter rubber!!

And don't forget insurance excesses! These can sometimes cost more than a decent set of winter rubber!!

+1

Well put. Just remember you will be in a minority with your winter boots. You might stop in time but alas those around you might not and you will still need to use the insurance excess. Lets hope not.

But the peace of mind they gave me yesterday in 6 hours of snow driving was immense. And my first bouts on ungritted roads felt like, well, doing the Tesco car park in mid August.

And don't forget insurance excesses! These can sometimes cost more than a decent set of winter rubber!!

+1

Well put. Just remember you will be in a minority with your winter boots. You might stop in time but alas those around you might not and you will still need to use the insurance excess. Lets hope not.

But the peace of mind they gave me yesterday in 6 hours of snow driving was immense. And my first bouts on ungritted roads felt like, well, doing the Tesco car park in mid August.

Or alternatively boycott the companies that see this as a modification and take your business elsewhere :thumbup:

See here for a list of companies that will not charge you extra, to date they include:

Adrian Flux

SKY insurance

Bell

Allianz (Skoda Insurance)

Aviva

More Than

LV

Or alternatively boycott the companies that see this as a modification and take your business elsewhere :thumbup:

See here for a list of companies that will not charge you extra, to date they include:

Adrian Flux

SKY insurance

Bell

Allianz (Skoda Insurance)

Aviva

More Than

LV

I think you misunderstand Gizmo me old chum, I was meaning if you have an accident in the snow, the insurance excess you will pay could have brought a half decent set of winter boots, preventing the accident in the first place, so technically cost shouldn't be the main issue. :thumbup:

As has been said on one of the many winter tyre threads (not sure which one as new ones are popping up almost hourly!) the only real expense is for the set of wheels, as your 'summer' tyres will last much longer, so providing you get through a couple of sets of tyres in the time you keep the car it's pretty irrelevant.

Scour eBay etc and a decent set of OE alloys can be bought for less than the cost of a set of steel wheels - that is providing you look early enough ahead and don't wait for the first bit of snow to fall like most people do (and then they moan the tyres have shot up in price!).

FWIW I paid less for 5 OE alloys, had them refurbished then fitted brand new Nokian's on them for less than what it would cost to buy 4 Nokian's today - that's if you can find any in stock!!

Does snow not stick to WInter tyres or something? The only times I have issues as it stands I've got snow sticking to the tyres.

There's so many tricks in them to keep you moving. The pattern of the sipes evacuates snow as you roll. The rubber compound will stick to ice to some degree... ahh i can't remember it all, i had a good link i will try and find it again. It was a PDF made by Nokian describing the design of the WR 2nd Gen tyre, impressive stuff, that tyre's totally useable in summer with no real adverse wear even if folks do call it a winter tyre :-)

EDIT: Attached the closest i could find, this is a different docco it's for the 4x4 version of the WR G2, but same idea.

Pikkues_WR_G2_SUV_eng_.pdf

Edited by Mute

As has been said on one of the many winter tyre threads (not sure which one as new ones are popping up almost hourly!) the only real expense is for the set of wheels, as your 'summer' tyres will last much longer, so providing you get through a couple of sets of tyres in the time you keep the car it's pretty irrelevant...

True - and if you also could put your vanity away when snow arrives you can get by with standard steel rims and 14" tyres which come much cheaper, Here in Sweden where almost everyone changes to winter tyres you don't see many alloys during winter. In loose snow or sleet 185/14 (or even 175/14) are in fact better than wide 16" tyres.

True - and if you also could put your vanity away when snow arrives you can get by with standard steel rims and 14" tyres which come much cheaper, Here in Sweden where almost everyone changes to winter tyres you don't see many alloys during winter. In loose snow or sleet 185/14 (or even 175/14) are in fact better than wide 16" tyres.

Except I need 16" wheels minimum to clear the brake calipers...