filling up at the pump this morning

newskoda

Here's a question i've been meaning to ask for a while and it was engendered by me filling up with diesel this morning. I arrived at my local shell garage to fill up and not surprisingly there were queues of cars waiting to fill up.Each single isle had 2 or three cars waiting behind each other. I spotted a vacant pump which would normally be used to fill up by a motorist whose fuel flap is on the near side of the car(mine is on the driver's side)

Seeing this empty chasm I immediately proceeded to park by it and the thought that crossed my mine was why are those other cars waiting patiently when they could easily have got in this isle to fill up. I was slightly concerned thinking perhaps the pump hoses don't allow you to retract them from the housing but so far i've never had any issues doing it this way.

I filled up and looked at the puzzled expressions on the drivers in the isle next to me. They were probably wondering either "how come I never thought of that?" or "i didn't know you could pull the pump that far" or in worse case scenarios "you can't do that!! how dare you, that's illegal" I tend to get one or all of these facial expressions a lot when I do this maneuver.

It really does annoy me when I see queues of cars like that when there are empty pumps available to use. They just make the place look untidy and hold things up. No complaints though as I was able to fill up and not have to wait 5-10 minutes unlike the rest.

My question is the rest of the world (I know you lot are, but its the rest of em or quite a big majority) not aware you can pull the fuel pump to around the other side of the car?

Edited by newskoda

My pet hate is when you are behind a car filling up with a string of cars behind you, the car in front finishes and drives off and some idiot pulls in from the other direction also with cars behind them. These are most likely the same idiots you find in multi storey car parks coming down in the up lane.

Same thing happens at my local Tesco's. I turn in, scan for a vacant pump, sod which side its on, & fill up while feeling a bit guilty :giggle:

Also my tesco has pumps in tandem; when the pump furthest away is unused, why do folk wait for the second pump to be free before driving forward & using the first pump ??

In the 'old' days i think some hoses were just a tad too short & folk had trouble fitting the nozzle in at the right angle or they were worried that the hose could damage paintwork if they had to stretch it over the car. My late Dad always used to use the pump nearest to the filler cap

I usually do this as well but have been caught out sometimes if the hose is too short. What annoys me is when there is a shop associated with the filling station and numptys fill their car with fuel, leave the car next to the pump then do their weeks shopping or have a cuppa and a cake at the snack bar.

Some garages have signs up saying that the hose will reach either side of a vehicle, just as a reminder.

Also I appreciate us Brits like to queue for things but my local Shell station is on a busy main road and is often busy, but people will drive in off the main road then sit there waiting for one of 8 pumps to be free. The next car tries to pull in and if lucky will get half off the main road. The third car is buggered and has to queue on the main road - why can't people just pull up behind a car? You might loose 30 seconds by choosing the "wrong" car to queue behind but you'll get your petrol all the same.

My main concern when filling like this is the hose rubbing or catching the car..

Some forecourts now have arms that hold the pipe up high so it doesn't catch.

Hasn't stopped me though..

Kev

That's why I use the pump on the filler side. That and the Mondeo's easy fill thingy means the nozzle must be fitted correctly, or it leaks and wont fill the tank.

Did it this morning. I think some people will only go to the pump on the 'right' side.

What really annoys me, and I'm sorry if this comes across as sexist, is women who fill their cars up, go off to pay get back in their cars and then spend 15 minutes doing something with their handbag. They faff about for ages. GET IN THE CAR AND DRIVE OFF!

I had to honk at some bloke last week who was having a lengthy conversation with his pal in the next car. Everyone else is queuing up while they have a natter.

And don't get me started on those people who sit at the entrance of the station to wait on any pump coming free........<RANT RANT RANT>

The nearest petrol station to my house actually has signs saying

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO PULL THE PUMPS OVER TO THE OTHER SIDE OF YOUR CAR

Would they get upset if you handbrake turn into the space by the pump then? :giggle:

The nearest petrol station to my house actually has signs saying

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO PULL THE PUMPS OVER TO THE OTHER SIDE OF YOUR CAR

That's OK. You're not pulling the pump over, just the hose and nozzel.

I'd lover to know their justificaton for it! :smirk:

I was told off once by a small petrol station near Peterborough for this. For health and safety reasons. I asked what health risks it posed and she couldn't answer but I moved anyway as she seemed quite agitated

It's BS, the pumps can do it fine, I just think that you can cause issues if you pull it to the stop then yank it.

TBH if they don't like it and they don't pay for pumps with high pipes etc that can cope with this, then they are just losing business as I can't be the only person who will drive past a station with a long queue.

I wish more PS's had pay at the pump like the "every little helps" stores have. It's quicker, easier and they don't con you out of any more cash which they could if you're required to go inside and pay.

I wish more PS's had pay at the pump like the "every little helps" stores have. It's quicker, easier and they don't con you out of any more cash which they could if you're required to go inside and pay.

Although is it still limited to £60? that's barely half a tank these days!! emoticon-0104-surprised.gif