'the emperor has no clothes' applies to the Yeti ride

cant get no satisfaction

Another big fan of the yeti's ride quality here and Ive driven quite a number of cars in the last few years. I think its exceptionally good but I respect your view.

Just a total shot in the dark from me here and its pretty unlikely to be the case but have you checked your suspension struts to ensure that the transportation chocks were removed at PDI? A friends neighbour complained about similar issues with his brand new Octavia around three years ago - said the ride was terribly firm and very jiggly and sure enough, the blocks were still in place on the car (then with 1400 miles on the clock!!) Might be worth a quick check I guess.

edit - Mr bahnstormer beat me to it! That will teach me to be slack with hitting the 'post' button! :rofl:

Edited by FocusZtec

To change the subject slightly (not hijacking) but I have notice that in recent times car suspension has gotten harder and harder, as pointed out the E39 BMW has a nice soft ride, but the new weird looking 5 series is awful - compose but harsh and hard!

I had a 14 year old Audi A6 before the Yeti and that was much much much more comfortable - I think its down to the long wheel base and rather old and "past its best" suspensions, oh and it leans like a van on the roundabout - I think nowadays car designers just want cars to handle well!!

I remember when I first rode in a Golf Plus and a Rav4 a couple of years ago, the ride was so hard and harsh I thought the car was running on the wheels and not the tires!

Cripes !...mine has bog standard 17" on it and the ride quality is superb, smooth, takes all the bumps in its stride and is soft and wallowy....lovely ! Makes me wonder what setup some folks have on their monsters with respect to wheels and tyres, pressures etc as some people have better experiences than others.

Im deffo in the happy campers brigade !!

emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Keep up at the back Agerbundsen!! :giggle:

I guess it's like taking an exam? First you have to carefully read the questions, eh?

Anyway, having never driven the referenced Toyota Picnic, but just looked at the specs and having some Toyota opinions, the original post now makes some sense.

I would expect the Toyota to be somewhat of a "floater" - large load capacity and comfort oriented suspension typical of that vintage Toyota. Add to that a ten year old car, and the wear and tear on the suspension.

If you have gotten used to that and like it, then the tight suspension of the Yeti - with 17" wheels - is quite a difference.

As I see it, there are two possible scenarios:

1. You go through the learning curve and get used to the different behaviour of the Yeti - and get to like and appreciate it - or...

2. You have picked the wrong type of vehicle for you and should look for a more "comfort" oriented replacement.

I came from an Octy Estate, which was very tight and "sporty" oriented, albeit a bit harsh on rough surfaces. The Yeti is much more poised, quieter, handles almost as well in corners, but is still a relatively tall shoebox-on-wheels, so some pitching movements are inevitable. Like all cars, the Yeti is a compromise. To my way of thinking, it is a very well excuted compromise, which fits my desire of handling and power at speed and utility and nimbleness in the daily driving.

Oh, ....and Graham, you can pull my chain any time :( , I'll try to catch up.

....and the location of the rear view mirror still sucks.

Edited by Agerbundsen

..... other negatives - the 1.2 DGS auto is turbo charged. It is the first turbo car I have owned and find it imposssible to drive smoothly. Surprisingly for a 1.2 litre there is too much power when the accelerator is depressed - but only after a few seconds delay. Perhaps all turbo cars are like this and my Yeti is normal but older folk like myself be warned (I am 'only' 60) I will never buy this type of engine again, I find it difficult to control and positively dangerous at times.

I have already commented on a possible fault with your suspension that will affect the ride. Do let us know the outcome when you get it checked.

I have a few thoughts on the turbo engine with DSG gearbox 'lag' scenario that I hope may help.

Having driven the 1.2TSI engine in a Octavia with a manual, and being used to the power delivery characteristics of a turbo diesel I would suggest that this engine, the 1.2TSI suffers relatively little lag and slow response. I found it a strong engine and really quite responsive. However, driving my son's Fabia 1.4 at the weekend reminded me of the perfect world scenario of a naturally aspirated, manual gearboxed car and how responsive that it. There is though little difference between a normally aspirated petrol engine and the turbo'd 1.2TSI.

Considering the DSG gearbox I can relate to this as my wife's Roomster has the 1.6 Auto tiptronic box. I know there are technical differences with this begin a traditional auto with a torque converter, albeit with 'lock-up' clutches, as opposed to the DSG that is really an automated manual. However, whenever I drive Roomster I think, cripes this is sluggish, when it shouldn't be as it has a 1.6 16v naturally aspirated petrol engine.

The problem is with the auto gearbox, not the technical aspects of the box, but the software programming of the gearchange that is set to operate in a very 'economical' manner i.e. it will get into the highest gear possible, as soon as possible regardless of retaining 'car control'. This happens without you probably realising it as the car is generally very quite and with smooth gearchanges.

An example is in an urban environment with a 30mph or 40 mph limit on a clear road you would likely in a manual gearboxed car select 3rd or 4th and chug along knowing that if you needed a bit of acceleration it would be there without changing gear. In your auto, if you look at the gear selection indicator, you will likely be in 5th or 6th! If you need acceleration, you will apply the throttle but there will be a delay in the box changing and it will then go down to two gears to 3rd or 4th with the then, in your experience, lunge forward with high power.

May I suggest that you experiment with driving, particularly in town, with the gearbox selector in sport 'S'. This gives a more responsive gearchange pattern, will change up later, and hold gears (rather than changing up); remember though to go back into 'D' on the open road as sport excludes the used of 6th gear that you naturally want for open road work.

Alternatively; try using the 'tiptronic' manual gearchange and just drive the car as you would have done your previous manual car; with the gearbox being in the gear you want it to be in; not the gear it thinks it ought to be!

Good luck and maybe you will come to see that Yeti isn't such a bad car after all.

I have already commented on a possible fault with your suspension that will affect the ride. Do let us know the outcome when you get it checked.

I have a few thoughts on the turbo engine with DSG gearbox 'lag' scenario that I hope may help.

Having driven the 1.2TSI engine in a Octavia with a manual, and being used to the power delivery characteristics of a turbo diesel I would suggest that this engine, the 1.2TSI suffers relatively little lag and slow response. I found it a strong engine and really quite responsive. However, driving my son's Fabia 1.4 at the weekend reminded me of the perfect world scenario of a naturally aspirated, manual gearboxed car and how responsive that it. There is though little difference between a normally aspirated petrol engine and the turbo'd 1.2TSI.

Considering the DSG gearbox I can relate to this as my wife's Roomster has the 1.6 Auto tiptronic box. I know there are technical differences with this begin a traditional auto with a torque converter, albeit with 'lock-up' clutches, as opposed to the DSG that is really an automated manual. However, whenever I drive Roomster I think, cripes this is sluggish, when it shouldn't be as it has a 1.6 16v naturally aspirated petrol engine.

The problem is with the auto gearbox, not the technical aspects of the box, but the software programming of the gearchange that is set to operate in a very 'economical' manner i.e. it will get into the highest gear possible, as soon as possible regardless of retaining 'car control'. This happens without you probably realising it as the car is generally very quite and with smooth gearchanges.

An example is in an urban environment with a 30mph or 40 mph limit on a clear road you would likely in a manual gearboxed car select 3rd or 4th and chug along knowing that if you needed a bit of acceleration it would be there without changing gear. In your auto, if you look at the gear selection indicator, you will likely be in 5th or 6th! If you need acceleration, you will apply the throttle but there will be a delay in the box changing and it will then go down to two gears to 3rd or 4th with the then, in your experience, lunge forward with high power.

May I suggest that you experiment with driving, particularly in town, with the gearbox selector in sport 'S'. This gives a more responsive gearchange pattern, will change up later, and hold gears (rather than changing up); remember though to go back into 'D' on the open road as sport excludes the used of 6th gear that you naturally want for open road work.

Alternatively; try using the 'tiptronic' manual gearchange and just drive the car as you would have done your previous manual car; with the gearbox being in the gear you want it to be in; not the gear it thinks it ought to be!

Good luck and maybe you will come to see that Yeti isn't such a bad car after all.

When our car was in for servicing last week I had a 1.2 Yeti with a DSG box as a courtesy car. I was impressed in some ways - the engine was better than I was expecting - but I still don't like the VAG DSG box in fully automatic mode. I find it relatively easy to get a smoother more controlled ride in manual mode, and that way at least you can have some engine braking.

Whenever I have tried Sport mode on a DSG box I've realised it is completely pointless if a reasonable ride quality is required.

The fashion for larger wheels and lower profile tyres doesn't do anything for ride comfort, and I'm not surprised the OP notices this, especially if their previous car didn't have such low profile tyres. A second possible reason for a jiggly ride, when moving from an old car to a new one, is that the old suspension may have been a bit tired with more worn dampers ... new standard dampers on an older car can have the same unexpected effect.

Edited by AnotherGareth

When I had a test drive (Elegance on 17" wheels) the 3 things that actually impressed me were ride quality, handling especially for a tallish vehicle and overall quality, the cabin in particular. So much so I placed the order. Being familiar to the 7 speed DSG there were no surprises in store on that front. So for me, this is a strange thread to comprehend.

Edited by Bassa

Can't comment on the Yeti specifics as I have never driven one but I do have experience of the DSG box

What you are experiencing is not turbo lag but DSG lag. When trying to move off gently there is a definite lag between a gentle pressure on the throttle and moving off. The immediate reaction is "I haven't applied enough throttle" so you press a bit harder and it shoots off like a greyhound from a trap - unless it was just about to go 1st to 2nd in which case your throttle application initiates kickdown so there is more lag while it drops from 2nd to 1st - it then really goes like a scalded cat!!.

You just have to be a little patient and wait while the clutch engages and you start to move.

Someone suggested using manual and moving off in 2nd - can't be done on mine - you can only select 1st when stationary.

S mode helps because it holds onto 1st gear longer but on my Octavia S mode is pretty extreme and seems to red line in every gear.

Hi

On the rare ocassions when I need to make a quick entry on a roundabout in my Octavia I use S mode, press the accelerator and 'simultaneously' release the handbrake. No lag then.

It will be interesting to see if the technique works on the 1.2 DSG Yeti

I purchased my Yeti 1.2 Automatic 9 months ago...The ride is jiggly and unsettled at all speeds except on super smooth roads and potholes are felt with an uncomfortable jolt unless taken at speed.

I would have to say that my impression after a month of driving it is that the ride of my Yeti is not as smooth as my ten-year-old Impreza's was. The Impreza wasn't exactly a magic carpet but the Yeti does seem a bit harsher over the obstacles that you encounter on uneven urban roads (protruding/sunken manhole covers, potholes and poorly-repaired roadworks). The Yeti also pitches fore-and-aft noticeably more than the Impreza did over the worse examples of the Edinburgh sleeping-policeman-installer's art. That latter observation may be down to the higher stance of the Yeti and/or the higher driving position. Nonetheless, it still seems slightly strange given that the Yeti has a 2ft longer wheelbase than the Impreza. Generally, though, I do think that the Yeti has a very good chassis. The steering feels very direct and responsive, and the handling and roadholding are very impressive for a tall-ish car.

the 1.2 DGS auto is .... imposssible to drive smoothly.

I did test drive a 1.2 DSG and didn't get on with the pick-up from rest at all. The box seemed to start changing up far too early which meant that you felt as if you were getting bogged-down. Then if you gave it a bit more right foot to encourage it along, the box dropped back down a notch or two, the revs rose so the turbo cut in and the car lurched forward uncomfortably. Not good at all, and put me right off any thought of getting the DSG option on the 2-litre turbodiesel. For the record, though, I like the turbo on my diesel Yeti. Many moons ago, in my late 20s, I had a Renault 5 GT Turbo, which was a suitably daft car for a daft young man. The 140 TDi is much more sensible that that car ever was - most of the time. I like the fact that you can get a bit of turbo heft in the back from it if you want to go there. While perhaps not as compliant as the normally aspirated 2-litre in my Impreza, I'm sure that the Yeti's midrange acceleration is actually better when you're in the boost range.

the rear mirror position is crazy, blocking one's view at all seat heights

I don't have any problem at all with the rear view mirror in my Yeti.

To update my previous posting, those of you who suggested that my 'take off' problems were down to the DSG gearbox and not the turbo were abolutely right - I tried today changing manually and what a difference!! Only a slight delay, almost unnoticeable, until the turbo kicked in and that obviously only in 1st gear. I feel much more in control of the car. No more starting off at a roundabout with something approaching (at a reasonable distance) from the right only for nothing to happen for a couple of seconds and then to take off 'like a scalded cat' as someone said - right infront of the now closer approaching car. Or worse still to approach a roundabout (as I did on the way home after picking up the car) keeping moving slowly giving acceleration to go through the roundabout with something approaching at a distance from the right,and nothing happens. So you put the foot down more to get the thing to respond and then it takes off - right in the path of the now bearing down car. If this is DSG gearbox is modern 21st century technology give me 20th century version anyday. My 10 year old automatic Picnic responded the same as a manual but without having to change gear, only three gears but you rarely felt it change up or down! If you gave it a little acceleration it took off slowly if you floored it you could spin the wheels.

Re the rear view mirror I understand the positioning is higher for those with rain sensitive wipers -for some reason. Maybe this explains why some agree that it is in a stupid position almost half way down the windsscreen and others disagree.

I take the point that the Picnic was 10 years old (although only 40000+ miles) which would have made the suspension more pliant. I do not feel that the Skoda garage would find anything amiss if they checked the suspension - not when quite a few others (a minority I grant you) seem to be have the same complaints as myself eg ejstubbs I agree with his comments entirely especially re pitching fore and aft over sleeping policemen. Some contributors say their Yeti sails over them with aplomb. If I take them at a reasonable speed I am jolted and thrown uncomfortably - I now creep over them much to the annoyance of people behind. There is something strange going on when our experiences on the road can be so different.

How many psi could I safely reduce the pressures by for townwork anyone? I'm not worried about wear and tear. I realise I would have to pump them up to normal for high speed or long distance. I feel it might just help the jitteryness.

What you are experiencing is not turbo lag but DSG lag. When trying to move off gently there is a definite lag between a gentle pressure on the throttle and moving off. The immediate reaction is "I haven't applied enough throttle" so you press a bit harder and it shoots off like a greyhound from a trap - unless it was just about to go 1st to 2nd in which case your throttle application initiates kickdown so there is more lag while it drops from 2nd to 1st - it then really goes like a scalded cat!!.

You just have to be a little patient and wait while the clutch engages and you start to move.

That is what I was trying to explain already yesterday (#9).

your view of the Yeti's ride and the DSG gearbox must depend on what cars you have been driving, my last car was a Volvo V50 Sports with the powershift (Ford version of DSG) box so it had lowered sports suspension and ultra low profile tyres and my wife's car is a Honda Jazz Sports with the CVT box and lowered suspension. So after those two with their rock hard suspension the Yeti's ride is a revelation and I find it comfortable and anything but jittery, as for the DSG it's just so much better than Fords offering but then two years of the Ford box probably trained my right foot for a smooth take off. Won't go too much into the Honda CVT but it's plain horrible but it suits SWMBO - let's hope she gets on as well with the Fabia's DSG when it arrives.

My experience of driving an identical (1.2 DSG 17" on wheels) Yeti round Aberdeen is the exact opposite - I'm impressed with the smoothness of the ride and the transmission and so has everyone else I've taken for a spin.

Won't go too much into the Honda CVT but it's plain horrible

If you think the Jazz CVT is horrible, try their diabolical i-Shift. Along with Toyota's MMT, those two must rate as the worst

semi autos available (both single clutch). As used in the current Honda Jazz & Civic and Toyota's Yaris & Auris. The DSG is positively sublime compared to those offerings. Incidentally, fed up Honda Civic i-Shift owners were partly responsible for the Civic now being also available as a normal torque converted auto - a backwards step IMO. As for owners of the current Jazz i-Shift, it seems many would give anything to have the old CVT version back. In fact I believe this is happening next year when the Jazz hybrid emerges.

Edited by Bassa

How many psi could I safely reduce the pressures by for townwork anyone? I'm not worried about wear and tear. I realise I would have to pump them up to normal for high speed or long distance. I feel it might just help the jitteryness.

From memory the recommend pressures are 2.1bar (30psi) all round.

I'm not an expert, but I guess a 2psi drop might be worth trying.

Out of interest what tyres are fitted to your Yeti? My Wife's has the Dunlops (IIRC).

To update my previous posting, those of you who suggested that my 'take off' problems were down to the DSG gearbox and not the turbo were abolutely right - I tried today changing manually and what a difference!! Only a slight delay, almost unnoticeable, until the turbo kicked in and that obviously only in 1st gear. I feel much more in control of the car.

Which all rather seems to defeat the object of having an automatic, to my mind. I was thinking of the DSG because my g/f is much more used to driving an auto than a manual. I would have had a right ear-bashing if I had had to tell her that she had to go in to manual mode to overcome the shortcomings of the DSG box! As it is, I just have to pay for some refresher driving lessons for her in a manual...

Re the rear view mirror I understand the positioning is higher for those with rain sensitive wipers -for some reason. Maybe this explains why some agree that it is in a stupid position almost half way down the windsscreen and others disagree.

I wasn't aware of that. I have the rain-sensitive wipers so that could well be why I don't have a problem with my mirror.

eg ejstubbs I agree with his comments entirely especially re pitching fore and aft over sleeping policemen.

Interestingly, last night I took the Yeti for the first time along a route that I used to drive regularly in my Impreza. It is infested with speed humps and bumps, and also includes a stretch of Edinburgh cobbles. I was surprised that the Yeti actually felt smoother along that route than the Impreza used to: it rode the humps and bumps much more flowingly, and the cobbles were almost unnoticeable. But then this morning on my normal route to work the Yeti was pitching over the speed humps as before. I wonder if it has something to do with the profile of the humps? I know that the council ended up re-profiling all the humps in one estate in south Edinburgh because the contractors had failed to ensure that they complied with the regulation dimensions. That was only after the residents had run a protracted campaign to get them changed - by which time, of course, the contractor's warranty period had expired so the council had to pay for the reprofiling themselves. I wonder whether the ones that are giving me problems are outside the regulation spec as well?

You want to try the humps round here then. I'm sure they try and vary them as much as possible just to stop people from actually driving in our borough!

I've found my Yeti is fine over most of them as long as you don'tgo too fast, or it will pitch a bit. Probably something to do with the length of the wheelbase. Funnily enough my old Altea was good over humps as well, despite having a harsher ride. Only downside was the thousand pounds or so to rebuild the front suspension and continual re tracking every few months due the wretched humps. I hate em! and the stupid local politicians who seem to think they are vote winners.

With the DSG box, you do adapt your driving style a little to get the best out of it, I think. Often used to accelerate just a bit harder initially and back off a little as soon as it was rolling used to make for a smart getaway without roaring off up the road.

With the DSG box, you do adapt your driving style a little to get the best out of it, I think. Often used to accelerate just a bit harder initially and back off a little as soon as it was rolling used to make for a smart getaway without roaring off up the road.

Another aspect to DSG, and other current autos, is that the software 'learns' your driving style and adapts to this over time.

I notice this in my wife's Roomster; often in I hop into it at a weekend and it feels all sluggish and unresponsive. However, if I drive it for a couple of days the responses sharpen up simply because I drive it in a brisker style.

This, intriguingly, then means that it is no real use anyone having a 20 minute test drive of a DSG box as it will not adapt to your style of driving in this time. You need at least a couple of days!

it is no real use anyone having a 20 minute test drive of a DSG box as it will not adapt to your style of driving in this time.

The salesman never mentioned this when I took the 1.2 DSG for a test drive. It sounds like quite an important thing to know, as my test drive put me right off. Perhaps the sales folks should be able to reset the box to a default driving style for test drives - which should not be "granny going to the shops"!

The salesman never mentioned this when I took the 1.2 DSG for a test drive. It sounds like quite an important thing to know, as my test drive put me right off. Perhaps the sales folks should be able to reset the box to a default driving style for test drives - which should not be "granny going to the shops"!

I believe disconnecting the battery will do this.

Mike

Coming from a hard-as-nails Audi A2 to a 17" be-wheeled Yeti it drives like a Rolls Royce! It floats over undulations, I can go over speed bumps at speed for the first time in 9 years and yet it still does not lean in corners (which was one of the A2's best attributes doing a fast run on a favourite country lane).