'the emperor has no clothes' applies to the Yeti ride

cant get no satisfaction

I purchased my Yeti 1.2 Automatic 9 months ago, having first researched through the forums on this site. The consensus of opinion was that the Yeti was excellent value for money, super comfortable and the ride was simply superb - with just one or two dissenting voices, so I ordered one.

Big mistake! The ride is jiggly and unsettled at all speeds except on super smooth roads and potholes are felt with an uncomfortable jolt unless taken at speed. I cannot understand how so many people find it a smooth ride. I cannot go more than 30 miles without severe discomfort and even my wife who is usually oblivious to such things complains she feels sick. I bought a goood quality gauge and checked the tyre pressures, they were fine.

Two other negatives - the 1.2 DGS auto is turbo charged. It is the first turbo car I have owned and find it imposssible to drive smoothly. Surprisingly for a 1.2 litre there is too much power when the accelerator is depressed - but only after a few seconds delay. Perhaps all turbo cars are like this and my Yeti is normal but older folk like myself be warned (I am 'only' 60) I will never buy this type of engine again, I find it difficult to control and positively dangerous at times.

Lastly, I am nit-picking here, the rear mirror position is crazy, blocking one's view at all seat heights - annoying and dangerous.

Sorry to be so negative but I've seen so much adulation given to the wonderful Yeti and especially its ride that I thought I would give my honest experience. I swappped my 10 year old Toyota Picnic for the Yeti, wish I hadn't - I could drive for 120 miles in it and get out with my back feeling the same as I got in. I shall be trading in in the spring, I don't know for which car, unless someone wants a cheap Yeti?! for cash.

Firstly - Did you not have a good test drive first?

Secondly - What size tyres have you got on it? If they are low profile then perhaps you can sell them and get some smaller wheels?

Thirdly - I am amazed that there is too much power when the accelerator is depressed...from a 1.2!! I have a DSG in my 170BHP diesel and can control the power perfectly through it (perhaps you need to adjust your foot position for the floor mounted pedal?)

My dad is 61 and just bought a 1.4tsi Golf and he can manage with both a supercharger and a turbo having had na engines all his life :giggle:

Oh dear,

This does not sound like a Yeti. You say jiggly and unsettled - in what way? Around my neck of the woods the roads are in an appalling state, the roads between the local villages are in a state of collapse but Yeti handles them very well, positive, as in goes where you point it with a good quality of ride. Not too long ago I drove up to Harrogate (from South Oxfordshire) and made one stop for, what is it called? A comfort stop I think and arrived feeling as if I had just driven around the village.

A car with a turbo engine may need a bit of getting used to, as up to the point when the boost pressure rises it will feel pretty flat and then suddenly take off. the secret is to use plenty of throttle until the tubo cuts in, then back the throttle right off to compensate for all the extra power. I find no problems with positions of mirrors, though I do normally travel with the rear seat head rests fully down.

I really am sorry you don't like your SM.

Regards,

60 yr+ Yeti lover.

Chris.

Secondly - What size tyres have you got on it? If they are low profile then perhaps you can sell them and get some smaller wheels?

Thirdly - I am amazed that there is too much power when the accelerator is depressed...from a 1.2!! I have a DSG in my 170BHP diesel and can control the power perfectly through it (perhaps you need to adjust your foot position for the floor mounted pedal?)

My dad is 61 and just bought a 1.4tsi Golf and he can manage with both a supercharger and a turbo having had na engines all his life :giggle:

So I presume they are 50mm profile? I would say myself that they are low profile....well compared to the 14s that were probably on the picnic anyway!

This is just the nature of the beast. It is not a saloon, it is an off roader so there is a lot of movement in the suspension and the ride is harder than a saloon.

My Yeti does jiggle on certain road surfaces but generally the ride is good. I find it very good on trunk roads, easy ride and most comfortable. It handles our little back roads with ease but I do try to avoid the pot holes as the resulting thump can be jarring.

But the road holding is just great. I find I can throw it about and it just goes where it is pointed. Slight body roll on corners but much less that previous 4x4 I have owned.

If you find the rear view mirror in the way, I suggest you lower the seat. I can see under the mirror without problem and I am 6'2".

Every car initially takes some getting used to. They all handle differently but you should adapt to the car after a few days.

Surprisingly for a 1.2 litre there is too much power when the accelerator is depressed - but only after a few seconds delay.

My opinion is, that this is NOT due to turbo engine, but instead the issue is mainly DSG! If you're not familiar to DSG, you tend to push the gas pedal pedal too much, and then you get too much acceleration. First, let the car start running just around iddle, and when it is moving, thereafter you may depress the accelerator smoothly, nice and easy.

• Like 1

I have a feeling that whatever we say, it is not going to change the OP's opinion.

You say you only drove a manual, Other than the gearbox being different the rest of the car is the same, especially the suspension, so for how long and far did you go on your test drive? Did you drive it over your normal route? Knowing that you have a back problem, surely this should have been an important thing to do?

My Yeti has now done 11k miles, 7.5k by me. That has been over everything from single track roads through the mountains here, A and B roads across Wales, to motorways to Cornwall, plus many miles on rough forest gravel tracks. To be honest the only time I notice any crashing from the suspension is then, but TBH that is to be expected. I have never noticed it being jiggly; quite the opposite I find it well damped, even with the caravan on the back. One of the problems is that you are trying to compare two different concepts of vehicles. The Picnic is a soft suspended people carrier vehicle whereas the Yeti is designed to cope with off-road conditions, where soft suspension is not appropriate.

With reference to your comments about the power delivery, I can't directly comment as I haven't driven a DSG 1.2, but everyone seems to say that they do have to be got used to. and considering you have moved from a somewhat old style Picnic to a new system 21st Century car, and from a soft people carrier to an off-road based SUV, have you really given it a fair try?

The mirror position has always caused comments, but as in any car it has to be a compromise. I'm only 5' 8" and have the seat about mid level and find it perfect, but the wife who is the same height says it is too high. However she has managed to cope with it.

Good luck in the future in finding your perfect car. It isn't going to be easy.

I purchased my Yeti 1.2 Automatic 9 months ago, having first researched through the forums on this site. The consensus of opinion was that the Yeti was excellent value for money, super comfortable and the ride was simply superb - with just one or two dissenting voices, so I ordered one.

Big mistake! The ride is jiggly and unsettled at all speeds except on super smooth roads and potholes are felt with an uncomfortable jolt unless taken at speed. I cannot understand how so many people find it a smooth ride. I cannot go more than 30 miles without severe discomfort and even my wife who is usually oblivious to such things complains she feels sick. I bought a goood quality gauge and checked the tyre pressures, they were fine.

Two other negatives - the 1.2 DGS auto is turbo charged. It is the first turbo car I have owned and find it imposssible to drive smoothly. Surprisingly for a 1.2 litre there is too much power when the accelerator is depressed - but only after a few seconds delay. Perhaps all turbo cars are like this and my Yeti is normal but older folk like myself be warned (I am 'only' 60) I will never buy this type of engine again, I find it difficult to control and positively dangerous at times.

Lastly, I am nit-picking here, the rear mirror position is crazy, blocking one's view at all seat heights - annoying and dangerous.

Sorry to be so negative but I've seen so much adulation given to the wonderful Yeti and especially its ride that I thought I would give my honest experience. I swappped my 10 year old Toyota Picnic for the Yeti, wish I hadn't - I could drive for 120 miles in it and get out with my back feeling the same as I got in. I shall be trading in in the spring, I don't know for which car, unless someone wants a cheap Yeti?! for cash.

Just to get some kind of reference to comment on your experiences with the Yeti - which does not fit with most other's, except for the mirror location - what did you drive before the Yeti?

Hi

I've already replied to "Can't get no satisfaction" on the ride qualities of the 1.2TSI DSG Yeti elsewhere in another post so I won't repeat that here. The Plumber did comment that the 1.2 TSI DSG he test drove when he delivered the Pat Monster to Allams was noticeably different in its ride to the diesel, possibly due to the lighter weight of the 1.2 engine and the vehicle as a whole due to the lack of 4WD.

I believe the suspension set up, dampers and spring rates, are different between models, and that the 1.2 can have lower rated 91 tyres instead of 94. Also different makes and models of tyres may respond differently. Is it possible that some vehicles get different combinations of components (or sometimes the wrong components)?

Are those who praise the ride for its smoothness and comfort driving the heavier 4WD diesels?

The 1.2 DSG demonstrator from Allams didn't seem to have the reported ride problems, but with only 150 miles on the clock it hadn't loosened up either. I didn't note what tyres it was fitted with, though presumably its still got the same ones, so James should be able to tell us.

Hope its not a common 1.2 DSG problem - ours is being built this week - no going back now!

Fred

Hi there, sorry to hear that you don't like the Yeti.

I have an S model which runs on 16 inch wheels and 215 tyres and the ride is fine, not too soft, not too hard.

How long have you had the car? When I first got mine, I also found the ride a little hard (I am in my early 20s) but what I realise is that the tyres are probably running in and they tend to get softer and now, with the tyre pressure running at 2.1 Kpa (in the Petrol flap - with only the driver), it is quite smooth. I am wondering whether you are slightly bothered by the tyre roar as it does intrude a bit as they are quite wide and I guess the Picnic ran on 195's?

I can't comment on the DSG as I drive a manual but I have noticed that people are needing to get used to the DSG as it is tuned for economy and possibly start on second gear (like the old fashion Merc autos)??? And possibly only switch to first under hard acceleration?

In fairness to the OP my experience when test driving the Yeti was mixed. The initial drive in a 140 DSG was not an overly comfortable experience suspension wise and had I not subsequently tried the 170 I would have turned my back on the Yeti entirely. But I did try the 170 and found it a totally different monster (pun intended) with the way it rode. At face value they should have felt the same but it made me realise that this cannot be guaranteed. It might be worth a quick trip to the dealer to check the various suspension settings which could have altered in transportation and that may have an affect on the suspension feel. The op could also try reducing the tyre pressure by just 1 psi to see if that improves matters. (I recall my VW Touran with standard 35psi pressures that was like driving on concrete - I needed to reduce them to 33psi to stop my fillings falling out!).

Failing this I fear we have lost a Yeti owner :(

Edited by GazzaC

I think it's time to come down off the fence and tell us what you really think emoticon-0144-nod.gif

Haven't got the 1.2 petrol so ill leave comments with regard to the engine to those who have , no problems with the suspension or ride, maybe the diesel being heavier it rides better, what I would agree with you is the crazy position of the mirror , as a ex professional driver been driving for 45 years I believe it is dangerous , cannot understand the logic of the positioning,I am a old Yetion and I can drive 120 miles to my daughters with no discomfort at all cant say that for every car i have owned I am more than happy with my Yeti.

Edited by mellyboy

I remember reading several magazine reports saying that the ride was jiggly. I test drove a 1.8tsi 4x4 and a CR110 2wd and on bad surfaces they were both around town a bit jittery, but better than my octavia, so I placed the order.

Delivery due very soon. I have also ordered one of the heaviest yeti's made, so that will also help smooth out the ride, with the spare wheel sat nav etc.

Mike

To be fair, my first impression of the Yeti was that the low-speed ride was quite firm - but once up to any speed, it is supple, compliant and well damped - and as all Yeti owners know, the payoff is excellent handling which doesn't fall apart at the first sign of mid-corner bumps. I know from experience that I could have equally replaced "Yeti" with "XF" or "Superb" in the above sentence, and I think these days that is about the best you are going to get. My experience of the German competition is an unpleasantly firm ride at all speeds with the consequence of very untidy handling on anything but smooth roads. I've ridden in a Qashqai and it is undoubtedly a bit softer riding - but it wouldn't be my choice on a winding B-road. So the Yeti's chassis is not the "Emperor's new clothes" but a very good, balanced, handling-biased setup which beats a lot of supposedly "premium" competitors.

Comfort and driving position have never been a problem for me and I have spent up to 9 hours a day driving the Yeti. I did take a while to get used to the characteristics of the 140TDI engine, even having driven turbodiesels for nearly 20 years, but that is just part of getting used to any new car. So it sounds like the OP is in a minority.

Mark

Edited by mbrock

Suspension on my 1.2 DSG on the god awful Taiwan roads is just sublime.............. dare i say better than a merc S class.

I have 16'' rims with 205/60 tyres though.

Also the power thing, i understand what you mean, it can catch you out at low speeds and there is a fine art to stop it flying off like a crotch rocket.

But turbo cars are like this.

Thanks for all your comments and observations. Sorry I have put a few empty posts on here, which button do you press for goodness' sake - 'reply', 'add reply' or do you just fast reply and post as I am doing now? Apologies from a novice.

Maybe I should have said the Yeti is the nicest car I have ever driven as far as steering is concerned - light but direct, the car goes exactly where you put it at whatever speed. The cabin is quiet and refined with no noticeable wind or tyre noise as any speed - unlike some people's experience I think.

I'm not sure of the actual dimentions of the tyres, just whatever it came with but I think the problem is more likely with the suspension set up. Is it possible that the diesel suspension set up may be different? Although I must say even with three passengers the car is still quite unsettled.

In reply to Motorhead, believe me I have tried gradually accelerating smoothly and it just doesn't work. The car accelerates slowly but when the turbo kicks in it surges forward - a hair raising experience joining roundabouts for example when control of acceleration is vital. chriskelland is right, the only way is to accelerate hard and then ease up - a tricky maneuver at the best of times. Give me a 2 litre any day and to hell with the economy!

I apologise to Fred_Bristol if I have put any doubts in his head as he has already ordered, he has to remember as someone said I am comparing mine with a softly sprung people carrier. All depends on what you are used to I suppose.

I think your opinion on ride is definitely going to be influenced by what you have been used to. I had an Altea TDi sport for 5 years on 17s with 45 tyres and that could be a bit harsh at times, but not uncomfortable, but my Yeti 1.4 on 17s with 50 aspect ratio is amazingly smooth, to me that is. Where I live and drive for most of the day, the greenies have had a field day infesting the place with every kind of speed hump device they can cram into the roads and the yeti is easily the best I've had over this sort of road and the remaining potholed surfaces between the humps.

Okay my car is manual, but the turbo engine is almost lagless and feels almost na in nature. I tested a 1.2 DSG and thought that had similar manners, but maybe specs have altered or something.

Back pain, I have adjusted the lumbar support on my seat and finally got it right today, nice and comfy now.

I have heard the standard mirror has sightline issues for some, so that's not a surprise.

Just a thought for the OP, and if you can't get on with yours then fair enough, some bits can be subjective, but has the dealer checked the suspension thoroughly for a fault at all?

It is a shame when you can't live with a new motor, but these things do happen sometimes.

My previous car was an Octavia on 205/55 R16's. The ride was ok, then I put some Koni FSD dampers on to improve the ride, which it did a little. My problem was I was used to a BMW e39 530d which was very comfortable, best in class etc. The Octavia couldn't compare. I have now sold that 06 model and replaced with a '99 T plate Polo. It is more comfortable ride wise, but I can't spend too much time inside. It is awful round corners compared to the Octavia which was very precise. I hired a Nissan Note a few months ago. The ride was Ok but steering was awful.

The Yeti would by all accounts be a good trade off between comfort and handling. I'm looking forward to living with mine soon. So many modern cars handle well......on smooth roads but are dreadful when they are not smooth. Take the 535d Msport I had for a while. Brilliant on smooth roads, awesome engine, but show it a pot hole and my back hurt. I would never buy a BMW with sport suspension or run flat Tyres. They ruin the ride.

Doesn't help the OP though.

Saying that you were used to a 10 year old car. By definition it should have needed new suspension by then if it hadn't already. Most cars need new dampers between 40-80,000 miles. My Octavia looked fine but at 84,000 miles 3 of the dampers were leaking and it wasn't picked up in the MOT a couple of weeks earlier.

Mike

Edited by rockhopper

Interesting comments regarding the ride quality - we have a 1.2 manual (I've not driven any other engined Yeti, so my comments are in isolation), but compared to my Wife's previous (04 plate) 1.2 Nissan Micra the Yeti suspension is a revelation - it absorbs the bumps better and shrugs off the potholes with aplomb. At the same time cornering better than anything with that much suspension travel/height has a right too.

When we collected our car from the dealer the tyres were at the 'fully loaded' pressures recommended by Skoda. Have you checked the tyre pressures? Just a thought (sorry if it's already been mentioned).

Compared with my MX-5 it's a luxury limo! :yes:

I don't know many turbo engines that give a completely linear power delivery, but with the turbo cutting in so early on the 1.2 I find it very easy to modulate the power delivery. My only reservation (and this is the same for any turbo engine - including my old Impreza Turbo) is the slightly soft throttle response - but I just accelerate a little earlier to compensate.

How about a 'curved ball' reply for 'can't get no satisfaction'.

I know you have been driving your Yeti for some time but is it possible that the 'suspension chocks' were left in the springs and not removed on PDI?

This was a, relatively, common problem on Octavias a couple of years ago, perhaps it is afflicting the OP's Yeti?